Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Advice on my purpose.

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Dixbe

[Magus] Advice on my purpose.

Post#1 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 am

Hi all,

I need some advice on playing my magus.

Currently I have leveled 4 characters to lvl 40/60+ full vanq as I couldn't decided on what to play as my main, I have now decided to focus on my Magus.

My question is, what is my purpose as I feel quite lack luster compared to a sorc and other dps. I'm not too sure what I should be doing as the AoE spec just seems to tickle people while the Havoc spec has good burst potential but is very situational needing the right set up. Having to get 8 stacks from the deamon before you can dish out decent damage in havoc spec is very hard to get done in orvr and cities I find even if I position myself correctly someone always buggers off behind a tree when casting my bolt of change. Also have an issue against engies....come across a lvl 38 earlier who melted me before I could even get my bolt of change off.

Could I get some input from Magus players on whats most needed in end game rvr as there has only been a few occasions where I could shine with the havoc build.

tldr;
not too sure what spec to play, AoE feels like im a tickler and havoc feels to dependent on specific set ups which take a long time.

Ads
nat3s

Re: [Magus] Advice on my purpose.

Post#2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 am

Magus is in a better spot than people like to talk about on the forums. You have 3 good trees which each perform a function:

Havoc - ST burst for assist trains in WB play, including cities. I can sometimes compete with Sorcs for KBs and dmg in a city if not focused. Insta pet tactic is mandatory.

Changing - Great spec for stomping pug SC + great for keep/fort attack/defence. Tried it a few times in cities, if we get drawn against a pug WB changing can absolutely rip it up, otherwise it's fluff dmg as you say.

Daemo - Your solo roaming spec (which it excels at, one of the best 1v1 classes/specs in game) + occasional use for WB play as a rift bot.

Ignore the naysayers and memers, Magus is valued by high end guilds in organised city sieges. Each class should have its weaknesses, sorc blow themselves up and cannot solo like a magus so it's fair that sorc has the more reliable/quicker burst rotation. Havoc mag is still potent though.

Only minor adjustments i think are needed would be:

• Make pets insta cast to save a tactic slot.
• Introduce a loner tactic which adds +20% dmg. Mag sacrifices the +40% pet bonus for a perma +20% which feels about right.
• Allow mist to crit again (may have already happened).
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

doxifera

Post#3 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:53 pm

nat3s wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 am Only minor adjustments i think are needed would be:

• Make pets insta cast to save a tactic slot.
• Introduce a loner tactic which adds +20% dmg. Mag sacrifices the +40% pet bonus for a perma +20% which feels about right.
• Allow mist to crit again (may have already happened).
1. +
2. Wrong.
Pets give not only 40% DMG buff they give additional effects - range, dot speed, etc.
In addition, they themselves cause damage and have additional skills - cut the resist/armor, etc.

So a 20% DMG "loner tactic" is not enough, otherwise it will be useless and unused. If you enter it, it should give all 8 stacks (DMG + extra bonuses), but then you need to enter 3 separate tactics for three different pets, which is difficult - the pets should change during the battle, under the new conditions, you can’t change tactics in battle .

It’s correct to add a skill, such as an "absorb demon / upgrade engi " that kills a pet that exists at a given moment and gives 8 stacks permanently until relog or until a new one is called up, this will save the mechanics of changing the pet for the situation.

The sacrifice of the magus / engi will be the damage of the pet and its additional skills, which is significant.
3. +

madmatics

Post#4 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:35 pm

nat3s wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 am Daemo - Your solo roaming spec (which it excels at, one of the best 1v1 classes/specs in game) + occasional use for WB play as a rift bot.
What would this build be looking like?

Zxul

Post#5 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 pm

madmatics wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:35 pm
nat3s wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 am Daemo - Your solo roaming spec (which it excels at, one of the best 1v1 classes/specs in game) + occasional use for WB play as a rift bot.
Max toughness including renown, max FS, main tree Daemonology, secondary either Change and flamer for faster dots ticks, or Havoc+Close Quarters for that in-your-face spike.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Starx

Post#6 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:36 pm

Dixbe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 am Hi all,

I need some advice on playing my magus.

Currently I have leveled 4 characters to lvl 40/60+ full vanq as I couldn't decided on what to play as my main, I have now decided to focus on my Magus.

My question is, what is my purpose as I feel quite lack luster compared to a sorc and other dps. I'm not too sure what I should be doing as the AoE spec just seems to tickle people while the Havoc spec has good burst potential but is very situational needing the right set up. Having to get 8 stacks from the deamon before you can dish out decent damage in havoc spec is very hard to get done in orvr and cities I find even if I position myself correctly someone always buggers off behind a tree when casting my bolt of change. Also have an issue against engies....come across a lvl 38 earlier who melted me before I could even get my bolt of change off.

Could I get some input from Magus players on whats most needed in end game rvr as there has only been a few occasions where I could shine with the havoc build.

tldr;
not too sure what spec to play, AoE feels like im a tickler and havoc feels to dependent on specific set ups which take a long time.
If you arent in a guild that is going to bring your magus to city, dont play it. Can sit here all day and talk about why or why magus is bad but really just take that first sentence to heart if you actually want to play magus.

anarchypark

Post#7 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am

OP asked advice and you turned it into gimme more thread. bads

@OP
havoc 8stack is doable in siege and SC.
in orvr, insta summoning, teleporting pet, detonating is alternative way.
trying to get full stacks is often waste of time.

start combat at 0 and stack up through battle.
or get full stack at outside, dive in, teleport pet for half stack and build up from there.
4stacks hitting backline is better than 8stacks hitting tanks IMO.

heavy dot pressure is good against pug. it slowly burns healer gcd, resources.
unlike direct dps you don't have to stick to target. roll 1 dot rotation then do something else.
cc, interrupt or spread more dots.

mix using 2 pets.
with flamer pet, you can move around few ft. 50ft something.
stack is not shared but you can interact with situation more freely.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

madmatics

Post#8 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Zxul wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:06 pm
madmatics wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:35 pm
Max toughness including renown, max FS, main tree Daemonology, secondary either Change and flamer for faster dots ticks, or Havoc+Close Quarters for that in-your-face spike.
Thanks, mate!

Ads