[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Orontes

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#141 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:49 pm

douluc wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:11 pm My alt is a WE, my reroll is a Magus lvl 36... After reading this topic I'm speachless.

Bolt of Change + Indigo Fire with the 15% crit tactic (full Havoc) is very efficient IMO.

I agree. This was my earlier post:

"So many of the comments in this thread are odd to me. My magus is rr 86. I don't see or run into any of the issues seen from the poo poo-ing in this thread. There are things to fix: Mist needs to be changed so it can crit. again, like Engi napalm now does.* Pets need to be subject to group heals or, immune from AOE damage, or simply toughened. Otherwise, Magi can kill quite effectively and have all kinds of tools at their disposal. It's a fun class."

*This may have been fixed. I was told my fellow magi that are Change focused, their Mist can crit. now.

Ads
Zxul

Post#142 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 pm

douluc wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:11 pm My alt is a WE, my reroll is a Magus lvl 36... After reading this topic I'm speachless.

Bolt of Change + Indigo Fire with the 15% crit tactic (full Havoc) is very efficient IMO.
How much dmg do you think those will do vs someone with FS3+, and with resist buff?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

xanderous

Post#143 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:58 pm

The only thing wrong with magus for end game is the pet, it dies too fast to aoe and you lose stacks too quickly, making their ability to reposition which is what impacts their ability to perform on the same level as other dps, as combat is very fluid and you have to move around a lot, especially when fighting skilled opposition. Yes you can bring any class to endgame if your warband builds around it in advance with an actual game plan, its just most of the other dps classes can be slotted into a set up and perform without that extra level of workaround.

Now if you don't see yourself being part of such an organised group of players who will actively work with you on your magus, honestly, surprised to even see it in general, my guild played a lot of city and we never brought a magus.
Last edited by xanderous on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bashgutz RR82 Borc Vaseryn RR61 SM Krantz RR82 Knight Corvinus RR70 Chosen Mormonty RR72 IB
Starkus RR70 BG Snaptz RR83 SH Plagueis RR81 Magus Alec RR85 Engie Sourgazt RR69 Shaman
Kreaver RR80 Marauder Dugald RR75 Slayer

noronn

Post#144 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:59 pm

crit tactic doesnt work on ifoc and some other abilities. https://github.com/WarEmu/WarBugs/issues/17930

Aezron

Post#145 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:02 pm

noronn wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:59 pm

crit tactic doesnt work on ifoc and some other abilities. https://github.com/WarEmu/WarBugs/issues/17930
Apparently this should be fixed now, anyone tried it out yet? (Same with Changing crit tactic now working on DoTs)

madmatics

Post#146 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:25 am

Aezron wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:02 pm
noronn wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:59 pm
douluc wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:11 pm
Spoiler:
My alt is a WE, my reroll is a Magus lvl 36... After reading this topic I'm speachless.

Apparently this should be fixed now, anyone tried it out yet? (Same with Changing crit tactic now working on DoTs)
Telling from just one SC, some test dummy dpsing and w/o extensive testing, yes: the "Wild Changing" tactic seems to work again properly - which is great!

IMO, in terms of DPS and utility the magus is 100% viable. The "clunky" feel of the class stems from the pet mechanics. In my humble opinion, making the instant pet summon a baseline would be a huge improvement to the class, as it would open up one tactic slot (hence flexibility), that has previously been nothing more than a necessary obligation.

Naelar

Post#147 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:28 am

I've always wondered why magus/engi were never given an ability to heal the pet/turret...

madmatics

Post#148 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:02 am

Naelar wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:28 am I've always wondered why magus/engi were never given an ability to heal the pet/turret...
Pets/turrets are literally melting away instantly. It makes no sense to postpone this by .5 seconds by wasting to CD or GCD.

Ads
Naelar

Post#149 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:08 am

madmatics wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:02 am
Naelar wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:28 am I've always wondered why magus/engi were never given an ability to heal the pet/turret...
Pets/turrets are literally melting away instantly. It makes no sense to postpone this by .5 seconds by wasting to CD or GCD.
Agreed. I have no problem with seeing them toughened up. When placed on a keep wall, the pet/turret makes a fine anchor to unleash aoe hell. :lol:

paperclipdog

Post#150 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:33 am

I feel like I need to chime in.
I'm a RR 81 Magus and switch between Havoc and Changing quite frequently. Both are great specs that are viable in a lot of different situations.

The biggest problem people have with magus is definitely the pet mechanic. It is something that needs a lot of getting used to and most importantly, in larger encounters like forts/keeps/cities you need to place it intelligently, outside of the enemies line of sight or AOE radius, which can be done quite often. If you make Pets/Turrets immune to AOE that would frankly buff Magus/(Engi?) to the point where their dmg would probably need to be nerfed, tho I suppose I wouldn't mind having AOE heals affect them.

I pull around 1400 DPS with my standard PvP havoc burst rotation on the new dummies & also do very well in Cities as Changing magus.

The one place where Magus is definitely struggleing imo is in any 6v6 content. There your pet and need to cast are huge liabilities.