Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Beatfish

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#131 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:22 pm

I've been levelling Magus and enjoying it by and large. I don't agree with some of the more extreme doom and gloom on this thread, but there is certainly a couple of issues with the core pet mechanic. The lack of AOE resistance on the pet makes for very frustrating game play, even when you get the chance to stand still and cast (fort & keep attack/defence mainly), the pet just melts over and over. Even if you manage to get it out of player range, the cannons will do the job. Some option to keep the pet alive is needed; whether that's an active heal/shield option for the Magus, resistance/reduced damage to AOE, open to AOE healing, or just a massive health/toughness increase, doesn't really matter, but something is needed.

The other issue is how much damage is linked into the pet mechanic - 40% of our damage is linked to a stationary pet that takes 16s to ramp up. Outside of keeps and forts the majority of fights are very mobile and you spend a lot of time without access to nearly half of your damage potential. Reducing the impact of going out of range of the pet would really help. Whether that's increasing the range of the pet effect, reducing the amount of damage linked to stacks, or making the pet mobile in some way would help. The pets give really good additional benefits (range, AOE spread, DOT ticks, etc.) that you will want to use them when you can, but tying so much damage to them makes them mandatory to perform well and then you can't contribute in a lot of gameplay. My personal idea was maybe add a 4th pet - an imp that follows you, or rides on the disk (isn't the disk itself supposed to be a demon?) that would give no other benefit beyond the damage stacks. That would keep the flavour of being a pet class and still allow you to select the best pet for any given situation, while giving you mobility when needed.

Ads
Xergon

Post#132 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Magus is fine, its l2p issue.

The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

Beatfish

Post#133 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Xergon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 pm Magus is fine, its l2p issue.

Thank you for your contribution; I hadn't realised that all I needed was a screenshot to solve everything. You are my hero!

Xergon

Post#134 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Beatfish wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 pm
Spoiler:

Thank you for your contribution; I hadn't realised that all I needed was a screenshot to solve everything. You are my hero!
Sorry, cant press buttons for u... Clearly some ppl has ability to press buttons properly... some others not... strange right ?
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

Beatfish

Post#135 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Xergon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Spoiler:

Sorry, cant press buttons for u... Clearly some ppl has ability to press buttons properly... some others not... strange right ?
I know reading comprehension is an issue for some, so I suggest you go back to my original post and try again. I mean, I'm grateful you shared a screenshot that was the same as one already shared in the thread and gave me the benefit of your less than articulate wisdom about my playing skills and all that, but hardly relevant, or constructive. Something is strange alright, but I don't think it's my ability to hit buttons.

farng84

Post#136 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:19 pm

I also end up as top dps (or between top dps) in SCs quite often.
That does not mean that either dmg mechanic or survivability of the pet need some attention for both engi and magus.
If the fight does not have a strong static component (e.g. bo defence in stage 1, standing and attacking next to the boss in stage 2 or being in the room in stage 3 for city) the damage potential of magus is quite limited.
The equivalent would be saying BW/sorc cannot get over 30-40 of their resource in some content...As they bring their resource with them all time it does not happen, they just cast and get to 100 quickly (quicker than magus anyway).

Possible solution could be linking the dmg component to the magus standing still (while the turret provide the other bonuses like range or additional dot bonus) or...I don't know.

Surely the pet issue does not make magus useless, but certainly it makes it less appealing (on top of the fact that he is floating on a disk)

Xergon

Post#137 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Beatfish wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm
Spoiler:
I know reading comprehension is an issue for some, so I suggest you go back to my original post and try again. I mean, I'm grateful you shared a screenshot that was the same as one already shared in the thread and gave me the benefit of your less than articulate wisdom about my playing skills and all that, but hardly relevant, or constructive. Something is strange alright, but I don't think it's my ability to hit buttons.
I didnt quote u 1st, i was refering to the whole topic, if u take it personally i cant fix it.

Ppl likes to deny facts and arguments that do not support their agenda, its common thing just to achive their way.

If one guy (probably there is few more) can perform time and time again with such effect its clear proof that there is nothing wrong playing this class in end game content (such is a City for example).
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

zulnam

Post#138 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:24 am

Xergon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:43 pm
Beatfish wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I didnt quote u 1st, i was refering to the whole topic, if u take it personally i cant fix it.

Ppl likes to deny facts and arguments that do not support their agenda, its common thing just to achive their way.

If one guy (probably there is few more) can perform time and time again with such effect its clear proof that there is nothing wrong playing this class in end game content (such is a City for example).
Mayhaps ask that guy to share his secrets? Spec, rotation, stats etc.

I agree often times people complain of a class that is actually ok; but this is because of a general lack of documentation for most classes. Useful threads get burried with time or become outright outdated info.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Ads
Starx

Post#139 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:04 am

After idk how many years you have been here posting braindead stuff like this?

Magus excels at really padding numbers in city, I've topped a few cities on my magus as well doesn't mean its better than sorc. And I've topped charts in city warbands with really good players on sorc and just much better players on average than in that SS. And it wasn't because magus is good its bc im sweating my nuts off just to pull 50-100k on fluff dmg over a sorc doing actual meaningful damage on the MA's target. I was using mobs in stage 1 to get an extra 150k-200k dmg before it was cool too, and barely beating sorcs like tropical and only on rare occasions when he probably wasnt even trying bc it was a stomp.

douluc

Post#140 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:11 pm

My alt is a WE, my reroll is a Magus lvl 36... After reading this topic I'm speachless.

Bolt of Change + Indigo Fire with the 15% crit tactic (full Havoc) is very efficient IMO.