Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
carthagerising

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#61 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 am

the topic has gone from magus being useless to "you cant stack magus"...id call that progress :)

Sure you wouldnt wanna do that and I view them as a 1-2 MAX choice but 1 as basically mandatory at this point. Damage AND utility put them above sorcs for me personally when building a wb. Not that sorcs are crap or anything but the magus has the edge with its combination of tools. Stacking dps has been a weakness of ours before the mara nerf, even thou it was super effective it made us in some ways lazy and blinded to the potential of other combinations.

I mean really aside from choppas, which class is spammable? Maras now are 2 minimum 3 maximum choice imo, 1 magus minimum, 3 choppas minimum up to how ever many you can get and Sorcs, MSH and We being added to taste but not "needed".

The Magus has now gained a slot at the top end of the setup and priority over other dps classes who are relegated to filler. A statement that flies in the face of entrenched belief and would have been openly mocked in times past, but now can be backed up with screenshots and experience in the endgame.

Oh and this also goes for engies, who in the right spec and with the right player at the controls will make you pay for those foolish emotes.

Ads
convexte

Post#62 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:43 am

Sulorie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:23 am
convexte wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:41 am
Sulorie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:26 am In my last 24vs24 city, both sides 8-8-8, a magus in vanq gear with bloodlord weapon was top dmg and 2nd in kills.
So the potential is there, it's just a matter of how you can keep your pet alive, which requires proper positioning and awareness.
There was only one magus or more?
One, we are not crazy. :^)

He performed better than the 2 sorcs with sov gear but this doesn't mean much, as player quality differs and has in many cases more weight than the gear alone.

I agree that stacking of magus wouldn't be smart, because they can only operate at full potential, if left alone. For this you need a meatshield of tanks and melee. With e.g. 8 magus it would be too easy to get to them in order to kill their pets with random aoe, which makes you lose a lot damage.

That magus wasn't even pulling, he was there for damage, not utility.

There are 5 dd classes with aoe spec for city on destro, ignoring WE, which I would only pick for ST assist train. This means, picking 2 magus in a warband with 8 dd slots would already be a lot.
Personally I can't convince myself to stack only 2-3 different dd classes in a warband but order is most likely different.
You got it right, totally agree with you.But against serious wb magus dmg gonna be lower than against pugs for sure (proper cleansing+focus ST if needed+movement).So imo 1 magus is more than enough.
carthagerising wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 am the topic has gone from magus being useless to "you cant stack magus"...id call that progress :)

Sure you wouldnt wanna do that and I view them as a 1-2 MAX choice but 1 as basically mandatory at this point. Damage AND utility put them above sorcs for me personally when building a wb. Not that sorcs are crap or anything but the magus has the edge with its combination of tools. Stacking dps has been a weakness of ours before the mara nerf, even thou it was super effective it made us in some ways lazy and blinded to the potential of other combinations.

I mean really aside from choppas, which class is spammable? Maras now are 2 minimum 3 maximum choice imo, 1 magus minimum, 3 choppas minimum up to how ever many you can get and Sorcs, MSH and We being added to taste but not "needed".

The Magus has now gained a slot at the top end of the setup and priority over other dps classes who are relegated to filler. A statement that flies in the face of entrenched belief and would have been openly mocked in times past, but now can be backed up with screenshots and experience in the endgame.

Oh and this also goes for engies, who in the right spec and with the right player at the controls will make you pay for those foolish emotes.
1 POSSIBLE spot for magus (which can be easily replaced with almost every dps class on destro) is not what called being "useful".
Im sure many WEs/WHs can provide many screenshots which proofs "being useful" and top damage done (dps = / = damage done in scenario stats) but who cares?Classes need adjustments (turret mechanic in this case) and you guys know it.
BW87 Roytze
KotBS 83 Eilert
WP 85 Edelhardt
WH 83 Rayhorst

Magus 80 Dreadtech
Sorc 81 Roytzen
BG 80 Morventh

Sigford

Post#63 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am

convexte wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:43 am
Sulorie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:23 am
convexte wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:41 am

There was only one magus or more?
One, we are not crazy. :^)

He performed better than the 2 sorcs with sov gear but this doesn't mean much, as player quality differs and has in many cases more weight than the gear alone.

I agree that stacking of magus wouldn't be smart, because they can only operate at full potential, if left alone. For this you need a meatshield of tanks and melee. With e.g. 8 magus it would be too easy to get to them in order to kill their pets with random aoe, which makes you lose a lot damage.

That magus wasn't even pulling, he was there for damage, not utility.

There are 5 dd classes with aoe spec for city on destro, ignoring WE, which I would only pick for ST assist train. This means, picking 2 magus in a warband with 8 dd slots would already be a lot.
Personally I can't convince myself to stack only 2-3 different dd classes in a warband but order is most likely different.
You got it right, totally agree with you.But against serious wb magus dmg gonna be lower than against pugs for sure (proper cleansing+focus ST if needed+movement).So imo 1 magus is more than enough.
carthagerising wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 am the topic has gone from magus being useless to "you cant stack magus"...id call that progress :)

1 POSSIBLE spot for magus (which can be easily replaced with almost every dps class on destro) is not what called being "useful".
Im sure many WEs/WHs can provide many screenshots which proofs "being useful" and top damage done (dps = / = damage done in scenario stats) but who cares?Classes need adjustments (turret mechanic in this case) and you guys know it.
We've been running 2 facing even some of the better groups and it works fine. They do lots of AOE pressure, pull people out of position, and provide LOADS of utility. Obviously you're lacking worthwhile city experience/knowledge, but as Carthage said in this thread earlier. You can lead a horse to water, but ....
Dachosen - 8X Chosen
<Ere We Go> - GM
The NoBodies -Alliance

convexte

Post#64 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:11 am

Sigford wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am Obviously you're lacking worthwhile city experience/knowledge
LMAO

Im done here, bye everyone.
BW87 Roytze
KotBS 83 Eilert
WP 85 Edelhardt
WH 83 Rayhorst

Magus 80 Dreadtech
Sorc 81 Roytzen
BG 80 Morventh

Exot

Post#65 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:58 am

convexte wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:11 am
Sigford wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am Obviously you're lacking worthwhile city experience/knowledge
LMAO

Im done here, bye everyone.
See you in Discord <3
KotBS: Erihon
Chosen: Nohire
Officer of [Seventh Legion] in RoR
Discord: [Link]
Member of [VII]

Naelar

Post#66 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am

In military terms, 'fluff damage' would be called 'suppressive fire'. And it can be very effective if used properly and taken advantage of by your teammates. Damage doesn't always have to result in a kill shot to have an effect on the enemy.

madrocks
Suspended

Post#67 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:30 am

Magus is a must have in proper organized warbands.
Rift is an insane utility, the ability to dislocate 6 players and pressuring them can turn the fights in secconds.
Also the AOE pressure that the magus brings is important to supress Hots and Shields on the enemy team so your spike dmg DD have a higher chance of actually killing stuff in combination with heal/armor/resis debuffs. The dots cover all the other debuffs and make cleanse a nightmare for healer. Its all extra gcd for the enemy and less wasted gdc for your hard hitting DD.

Yes the pet is weak and it dies, neverless, if you position it right you should be fine. In the end you are a pet class that plays in a midrange radius.. so rotate and dont place it in the blob. Take care of it.

The solo and small scale potential of a magus is quite strong too... so the is plenty of end game content to that class.

The issue here is quite obvious the trash chatter around this class by people stuck in 2009 with their mindset.
Lutz

Foofmonger

Post#68 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 am

Crumbs wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 am They are the hardest dps class to master with the most raw damage potential than every single other dps class in the game (except engi, still very high but not BW level) and some of the worst when not played to it's maximum potential.

Magus being THE highest sustained aoe damage dealer in the game don't give a **** what clown from any guilds want to say about that. These are just facts and I know it's against the popular opinion of mediocre-decent players repeating the same **** that their great almighty guild leader has dictated as law.
Mekanik is 100% correct, this is a good post to read if anyone is still confused.

Ads
Valarion

Post#69 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

For the love of Tzeetch...................... spam AoE or
Run Rift
Its not only viable it meta in a bomb wb.
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

ChicagoJoe

Post#70 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:33 pm

While not stackable organized wb's that I have run with lately have usually targeted them first if the magus is good because they can impact fights greatly. Same with a good engi.
primary IB 8X, EN8X, WP7X, SL7X, KOTBS6X, and a bunch of under rr60 toons on order and destro with other classes.