Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
martholomew

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#111 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:28 pm

xruptor wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:21 pm
martholomew wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:49 pm I am a Magus player. Had a statue up in IC a couple times. I still don't feel particularly powerful or 'respected' like Engineers seem to be. I would like Rift to be given to EVERY spec just to shut people up and keep us from being pigeonholed into that boring, ineffective playstyle and rotation.
Oh so that was YOU. Hope you don't mind but I went around painting sinister mustaches on those statues.
That's fine. I DO in fact have a sinister mustache IRL. so I appreciate the realness. You're worshiping me in a way, my son.
Magus 40/78

Ads
Starx

Post#112 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Coming out of hiding just to shitpost in a magus thread :pensive:

RIft is terrible in city. It's only good in situations where you are fighting pugs, or fighting with massive numbers like at a fort/keep choke and nothing short of a well timed ID will save them from the AoE pressure from 100 ppl spamming that spot. Go ahead and show me a single vod from twitch of any WB using a magus rift, ill wait. I tried many time to get rift to do anything in city, its just a waste of a CD that pulls in a bunch of tanks and guarded dps that are already inside your death ball, and what are you gonna on the off chance pull a healer in? You know how many times the mantra of "The safest place for a healer is near our ball" is repeated? Ya I know healers spread and stay out a bit, but if you are getting pressured hard on a healer where do you go? The type of fighting in city is just not conducive to rift being effective at all.

Secondly about changing/dps magus doing good damage is a lie. I played every single city farming sov on my magus will the goal of scumming up scoreboard dmg to jerk off too every time. Farming mobs at the beginning for an extra 100-200k etc... and I knew how to get the most scoreboard dmg out of the class, going as far to not listen to our shotcaller bc i could get more dps hitting a nice group. And ya I could make 2nd rate sorcs look bad, and maybe even have a good day and beat out a decent one that was probably half afk bc we were fighting pugs for champ in stage 3. But virtually any other DPS class with a good player on it trying and giving it 100% all the time SHOULD out dps magus easily, if not its a major L2P issue.

Class doesn't have some kind of fake news stereotype about it, it IS bad in city or any organized PvP against good players. But that doesn't mean the class isnt a great solo in RvR, or all around good class for general play and players. Just you know maybe have an alt to do city on, 6v6 on etc... that isn't magus.

footpatrol2

Post#113 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Your suppose to rift + morale bomb which should kill most tanks unless they are wounds stacking and even then... I dunno if RoR nerfed morale bombs to the ground though...

Starx

Post#114 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:14 pm

footpatrol2 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:29 pm Your suppose to rift + morale bomb which should kill most tanks unless they are wounds stacking and even then... I dunno if RoR nerfed morale bombs to the ground though...
You can go on twitch whenever there is a city or watch old vods. When 2 good warbands fight its ball v ball, healers are spread out the outskirts just out of morale bomb range. And maybe you have something like a 2dps/2tank backline assassin group keeping their healers honest, but that really only punishes bad healers or archmages.

You just arent going to get much value out of rift vs not using it for your morale bomb bc ppl are already so stacked on top of each other. I suggested a while back that rift prioritized the FARTHEST away targets instead of the closest as it does now, if that were the case then I could see rift actually being somewhat useful but as it stands now pulling in the closest targets to the magus its just a sad ability.

Can start talking about clown strats like giving out free immunity with shackle to pull in ppl outside 30ft only but it's a joke strat that no ones ever actually done bc its just that...

martholomew

Post#115 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Starx wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:14 pm
footpatrol2 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:29 pm Your suppose to rift + morale bomb which should kill most tanks unless they are wounds stacking and even then... I dunno if RoR nerfed morale bombs to the ground though...
You can go on twitch whenever there is a city or watch old vods. When 2 good warbands fight its ball v ball, healers are spread out the outskirts just out of morale bomb range. And maybe you have something like a 2dps/2tank backline assassin group keeping their healers honest, but that really only punishes bad healers or archmages.

You just arent going to get much value out of rift vs not using it for your morale bomb bc ppl are already so stacked on top of each other. I suggested a while back that rift prioritized the FARTHEST away targets instead of the closest as it does now, if that were the case then I could see rift actually being somewhat useful but as it stands now pulling in the closest targets to the magus its just a sad ability.

Can start talking about clown strats like giving out free immunity with shackle to pull in ppl outside 30ft only but it's a joke strat that no ones ever actually done bc its just that...

Will you please shout out how unimportant Rift really is to the warband and guild leaders in the back who aren't paying attention?
Magus 40/78

xruptor

Post#116 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm

Eh I just play my Magus regardless of all these things posted here. I'm Magus and I'm proud to play it. It's not easy and I know folks consider it an underdog class.

I still find the class fun and that's all that counts. I know others may think I'm trash or garbage or waste of a class spot. Some even think the Magus class should be removed from the game entirely. I even know some think I may be a one trick pony and can be easily replaced by other DPS as apparently the Magus class is pointless.

But all that aside, it's still a fun class and regardless of all the negativity and stigma, I still enjoy it. So kudus to all you Magus players out there that keep playing it! You aren't alone.

martholomew

Post#117 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:31 pm

xruptor wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm Eh I just play my Magus regardless of all these things posted here. I'm Magus and I'm proud to play it. It's not easy and I know folks consider it an underdog class.

I still find the class fun and that's all that counts. I know others may think I'm trash or garbage or waste of a class spot. Some even think the Magus class should be removed from the game entirely. I even know some think I may be a one trick pony and can be easily replaced by other DPS as apparently the Magus class is pointless.

But all that aside, it's still a fun class and regardless of all the negativity and stigma, I still enjoy it. So kudus to all you Magus players out there that keep playing it! You aren't alone.
That's nice, really....I salute your devotion, but it still doesn't fix the issue or offer solutions to it.

It is a <VERY> fun class to play, more fun than any other class in the game. But it needs some attention that it hasn't had in a very, very long time.
Magus 40/78

xruptor

Post#118 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:38 pm

martholomew wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:31 pm
xruptor wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm Eh I just play my Magus regardless of all these things posted here. I'm Magus and I'm proud to play it. It's not easy and I know folks consider it an underdog class.

That's nice, really....I salute your devotion, but it still doesn't fix the issue or offer solutions to it.

It is a <VERY> fun class to play, more fun than any other class in the game. But it needs some attention that it hasn't had in a very, very long time.
Oh of course not, I know the class has underlying issues and could use some attention. However, quite a number of Magus players I've come across feel discouraged and or disheartened to play the class (ESPECIALLY new players to the class) due to all the negativity. I see it a lot in the /advice channel. A lot of them play Engineer and when they decide to try their counterpart on Destruction are taken aback by the experience. Since it's vastly different atmosphere regarding the class. I was merely adding some words of encouragement for those players that may take the time to read this thread. If the class hasn't had any changes in a "very long time" as you have pointed out, it's a shame and I don't think anything will be address anytime soon or in the foreseeable future. Still I felt giving a few points of encouragement and what not would help other Magus players that may review this thread and let them know they aren't alone. :)

Ads
Ekundu01

Post#119 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:53 pm

The class is very fun to play and rewarding when you come out on top knowing the handicaps of the class. But unfortunately fun doesn't equal getting groups when it comes to end game stuff when another class can do what you do better and for less effort. Magus and engie could use some fine tuning to put them on par with other rdps and i think mostly it stems from turret mechanics that need fine tuning.
Trismack

Orontes

Post#120 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:19 pm

So many of the comments in this thread are odd to me. My magus is rr 86. I don't see or run into any of the issues seen from the poo poo-ing in this thread. There are things to fix: Mist needs to be changed so it can crit. again like Engi napalm now does. Pets need to be subject to group heals or, immune from AOE damage, or simply toughened. Otherwise, Magi can kill quite effectively and have all kinds of tools at their disposal. It's a fun class.
Last edited by Orontes on Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.