Recent Topics

Ads

[MAGUS: Havoc] Ranked SC WIth Ranged Testing

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
porkstar

[MAGUS: Havoc] Ranked SC WIth Ranged Testing

Post#1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:38 pm

I am well aware of the limitations of a magus in small scale (semi) organized or organized so I'm more interested in anyone else's experience/comments with magus during the testing or otherwise rather than "don't queue magus" comments. Also, I understand that not every class is built for every situation.

I tried to play havoc Magus in ranked solo last night since the queuer can now match range v range. It was bad more than it was good. My biggest problem was low mobility. Another significant problem was dot cleansing and pet death. I spent half the time repositioning and or summoning pet (i had insta summon) then having to start over building up a rotation with half of the abilities on cool down. The current map has a TON of los as well which is another hindrance. I felt like I routinely had to take a lot of risk to get a good rotation in and was often punished for it xD. I think this is very much a credit to the opponents as well as limitations with magus. I definitely didn't play perfectly. One instance comes to mind where I didn't get my interrupt casted quickly enough during a res. Most of the matches were vs BW and some engie and the BW did better because of mobility. Even when the matches went well it was because I was paired with top tier player that could keep me relatively unmolested.

Things got toxic pretty quickly. "don't queue magus", "magus dps is ****", "magus not using pots" (I was, I made them myself), "**** magus position better" etc etc. And this was just testing!! I was prepared for some of that but it was worse than I thought.

Has anyone else played magus in the current ranks sc matches? What was your experience? What strategies did you employ? Or since you're here, what was your experience with other range classes?

Thanks
Vagreena Auntie Dangercat
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave
Penril wrote:So you are saying that a class you never touched is OP?
Go play it before posting about it pal...

Ads
Przepraszam

Re: [MAGUS: Havoc] Ranked SC WIth Ranged Testing

Post#2 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:12 pm

Hello fellow magus
After playing 1 ranked sc, im sure i wont be doing it anymore :D, as a changing magus i wasnt able to kill anyone despite being 2 dps on scoreboard, basicly our class is pretty much negated by aoe heals, and cleansing , add guarded target to this and basicly you are useless except mayby staggering something from time to time, but thats it. Well not to be too pesymistic, magus has a beautifull niche where its shine (especially changing spec)... killing lowbies/non healed targets on keep/fort defences :D.I said this before and i will say it again, magus needs buffs...
Billpullman Blips
Millivanilli Karvosky

porkstar

Post#3 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:25 pm

So I remember way back before the magus/engie buff to pet stacks. Ideas were presented similar to having one tree with a mobile pet. Probably the middle tree. The change was somewhat along those lines allowing some abilities to be cast on the move. I like the idea of mobile pet. The dmg buff could be reduced etc.
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave

Nidwin

Post#4 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:07 am

Ouch.
Havoc is probably the worst spec for solo ranked.
It's not going to matter in the end. There are too many toxic pro is pro players around who aren't as good as they think they are.

I would go Changing tree and use the flamer for mobility, single target and not aoe in this case.
But as you know, Magus is not welcome with the pros are pros.

Good luck and sorry for the no fun.
Nidwinqq used teabag Magus [Hysteria]

Twohandernoob

Post#5 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:09 am

Your problem isn't the magus. It's the toxicity!

You have to remember that when they're throwing insults after losing it's all projection. It's their sub-conscience talking about themselves. I mean to even get that worked up about it your ego has to be tied up with your toons MMR. Think about that for a minute.

I'm pretty sure I've not seen actual elite players throw insults. They either don't que or accept the randomness of PUG ranked games. They may talk about sub optimal setups but it's all matter of fact rather than toxic.
Last edited by Twohandernoob on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

porkstar

Post#6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Nidwin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:07 am Ouch.
Havoc is probably the worst spec for solo ranked.
It's not going to matter in the end. There are too many toxic pro is pro players around who aren't as good as they think they are.

I would go Changing tree and use the flamer for mobility, single target and not aoe in this case.
But as you know, Magus is not welcome with the pros are pros.

Good luck and sorry for the no fun.
I've played my engie like this quite a bit in the past (mobile grenadier) but haven't tried it on Magus. It was a lot of fun on Engie. I found that I had to very much rely on Cannon Smash and I guess I hadn't considered trying the build for magus because there wasn't a comparable finisher (unless i'm missing it). Thanks for the feedback I might try that out (probably not in ranked though xD).
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave

synyster3

Post#7 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:40 pm

porkstar wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:38 pm I am well aware of the limitations of a magus in small scale (semi) organized or organized so I'm more interested in anyone else's experience/comments with magus during the testing or otherwise rather than "don't queue magus" comments. Also, I understand that not every class is built for every situation.

I tried to play havoc Magus in ranked solo last night since the queuer can now match range v range. It was bad more than it was good. My biggest problem was low mobility. Another significant problem was dot cleansing and pet death. I spent half the time repositioning and or summoning pet (i had insta summon) then having to start over building up a rotation with half of the abilities on cool down. The current map has a TON of los as well which is another hindrance. I felt like I routinely had to take a lot of risk to get a good rotation in and was often punished for it xD. I think this is very much a credit to the opponents as well as limitations with magus. I definitely didn't play perfectly. One instance comes to mind where I didn't get my interrupt casted quickly enough during a res. Most of the matches were vs BW and some engie and the BW did better because of mobility. Even when the matches went well it was because I was paired with top tier player that could keep me relatively unmolested.

Things got toxic pretty quickly. "don't queue magus", "magus dps is ****", "magus not using pots" (I was, I made them myself), "**** magus position better" etc etc. And this was just testing!! I was prepared for some of that but it was worse than I thought.

Has anyone else played magus in the current ranks sc matches? What was your experience? What strategies did you employ? Or since you're here, what was your experience with other range classes?

Thanks
Just ignore the toxic flamer.. 6 v 6 is harder than people think especially on a class being focused and under alot of pressure.. people on easy class pressing the same 5 buttons all game would never understand, they tell you what you should do but you bet they have zero clue how to play other class properly.. Warhammer at high level is never easy, watching pro like Zarbix on his casters really makes me feel like a noob, sometimes in bad matchups there is nothing you can do.

Starx

Post#8 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Twohandernoob wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:09 am Your problem isn't the magus. It's the toxicity!

You have to remember that when they're throwing insults after losing it's all projection. It's their sub-conscience talking about themselves. I mean to even get that worked up about it your ego has to be tied up with your toons MMR. Think about that for a minute.

I'm pretty sure I've not seen actual elite players throw insults. They either don't que or accept the randomness of PUG ranked games. They may talk about sub optimal setups but it's all matter of fact rather than toxic.
Not really. If im queing ranked 6v6 I can pretty much count on 1 hand the amount of maguses id be comfortable playing with. And id just rather have them playing sorc or ranged squig because these are extremely good players getting everything out of magus, they could be doing so much better if all that effort was just on a better class.

Magus also has to be specced right to even come close to being useful in 6v6, positioning has to be perfect otherwise your cucking your entire group out of your tanks damage which is more important than most people think in 6v6 (if you tank is having to peel 24/7 for you, your team is losing like up to 20% of their damage on whoever you are focusing). But the flipside is the other team is just going to UNGA BUNGA the magus because its one of those classes that loses a ton of its damage potential if its sat on (like most rdps to some degree which is why every 6v6 tourney is double mdps 2-2-2), but magus is especially hurt by this because of their awful pet mechanic and so much of their potential being tied directly to it.

Ads
Twohandernoob

Post#9 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Starx wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:43 pm
Twohandernoob wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:09 am Your problem isn't the magus. It's the toxicity!

Not really. If im queing ranked 6v6 I can pretty much count on 1 hand the amount of maguses id be comfortable playing with. And id just rather have them playing sorc or ranged squig because these are extremely good players getting everything out of magus, they could be doing so much better if all that effort was just on a better class.

Magus also has to be specced right to even come close to being useful in 6v6, positioning has to be perfect otherwise your cucking your entire group out of your tanks damage which is more important than most people think in 6v6 (if you tank is having to peel 24/7 for you, your team is losing like up to 20% of their damage on whoever you are focusing). But the flipside is the other team is just going to UNGA BUNGA the magus because its one of those classes that loses a ton of its damage potential if its sat on (like most rdps to some degree which is why every 6v6 tourney is double mdps 2-2-2), but magus is especially hurt by this because of their awful pet mechanic and so much of their potential being tied directly to it.
No really. If someone brings a magus are you going to start fing and blinding and insulting their mum if you lose some mmr?

Starx

Post#10 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:41 pm

No because im not autistic :^)

but wont change how I feel about it, im just not gonna blow up on someone in game about it.