Recent Topics

Ads

MAGUS : ChangeSpec non-pug warband viability

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Sulorie

Re: MAGUS : ChangeSpec non-pug warband viability

Post#11 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:20 pm

geezereur wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:15 pm
Nidwin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:55 am It has already been said in the past. As a Magus you spec in one tree, one tree only and focus in what that tree is good at.

Havoc -> single target poof
Changing -> lol aoe dps from range
Daemonology -> pester mode in deftard spec with pull for lolz

Magus has no place in organized full 24 premade wb or 6-men for the pros as there are much better options for what the Magus can bring to the table.
On the other hand Magus truly shines as solo as add to any wb or group or solo/duo/trio because jack of all trades and big pester machine. I only wished we had some of the Engie's tactic goodies to pester even more.
Feelsbadman I kinda regret making Magus my main, the damn pets die in 1-2 sec in wb action I dont know what has been done to them.
Lose your pet lose your damage.
Don't position yourself, where aoe hit you and your pet. Keep in mind, that the pet doesn't have to stand right next to you.
Dying is no option.

Ads
gerard86

Post#12 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:35 am

im just curious but does the stuff said in this thread go for the engi as well, if no, why not?im thinking of starting a alt , so im just trying to get some information between the class mirrors.

Orontes

Post#13 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:00 am

I find the bulk of comments in this thread borderline surreal. Change focus magi can pump out massive pressure damage with multiple overlapping abilities. Kills just flow. This can only be amplified by organized WBs as damage can be further directed and focused.

Crumbs

Post#14 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 am

gerard86 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:35 am im just curious but does the stuff said in this thread go for the engi as well, if no, why not?im thinking of starting a alt , so im just trying to get some information between the class mirrors.
Engis mirror to this spec is probably a tad stronger damage wise, they get crit across the board, ranged AA, and their firebomb is arguably better. Meanwhilst magus will still have access to mutating blue fire, and they can cast firestorm on the run.

Magus might struggle to stack the dots a bit more BC of disrupt being easier to stack
Mekanik/Cqb [engi] 40/86
Zuu [AM] 40/83
[magus] 40/70

Ototo

Post#15 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:18 am

gerard86 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:35 am im just curious but does the stuff said in this thread go for the engi as well, if no, why not?im thinking of starting a alt , so im just trying to get some information between the class mirrors.
I don't play Magus, so can't say if the things are accurate about it. Engis aren't like this and definitely can put up pressure while being the strongest ranged support class in order, if not the strongest support in all order. Let's see: AoE CC check, AoE Emergency Heal check, Damage Increaser Solo and Group check, Defense Debuff check, Group Synergy and Buff check, Huge AoE AP regen check, etc... Just slot Pierce Defenses and Coordinated Fire tactics and you are doing a lot for your team.

Thing is that you can't be both a damage dealer and a group support; you have to choose and there is no good middle ground here. As opposed to the urban legend of the forums, they can actually put a very good dps output with Path of the Rifleman/Grenadier, and they are also the most valuable ranged support when going Tinkerer and providing lots of group utility. Which path you pick decides if you are taken seriously or not with no other reason than prejudices; both approaches are very good and equally powerful, but Rifleman Engineers aren't taken seriously for some reason. I can tell you that all serious bomb Warbands have 1 slot reserved for an Engi just for their AoE Corporeal Resist debuff and Defense Debuff, which are core skills and need no specialization, and are instrumental for BWs to deploy crazy amount of damage.

These are the builds that I use commonly:
* Rifleman/Grenadier, 4th tactic up to you, Ancestral Inheritance and Fighting Chance are both good picks depending where you think you gonna be fighting the most. If you are picking this approach, more than likely will be Fighting Chance.
* Tinkerer/Grenadier, best compromise between utility and damage. Low in damage still. It's a good build on paper, but requires that you know exactly what are you doing and an extensive control of timers and turrets. Not the build that I recommend to a player starting on the class.
* Tinkerer/Rifleman, your bread and butter ranged utility build and the one that I play the most. Don't expect spectacular numbers, but your team will clearly do better just by having you around in the backline: Healers getting more AP to work from turrets, targets get debuffed or critical hit so it's a win-win situation, frontline getting supported by Keg, assist pressure from Snipe and Signal Flare, and areas for DPSs to focus AoE damage with the pull. Thing is that you can't be stationary with this build, and you have to be constantly running back and forth, so place your long casts in a secondary position cause you will be spamming instant casts mostly.
* All-out AoE, just when you're only ask to add pressure and bring Corporeal Debuff. This is what I find ideal to run in BW bomb Warbands. Notice that I take the M2 damage reduction instead of the AoE damage, and that is pretty much your only group duty in this build that requires to use the brain; use it in difficult pushes. Rest of the time your only group duties are keeping up Acid Bomb in all enemies and Signal Flare in the assisted target, while doing your thing all the rest of the time adding tons of pressure. Only other thing about this spec is to completely take out of your action bar Strafing Run as it will only mess up with your team bombs while also giving away free immunities; not a good idea to punt away enemies to safety (*cough* Swordmasters and BOrks punting *cough*).

EDIT: For some more information, check Fixxer website. The guides are very extensive and go deep in each tactic and skill. Read them and fit them to your play style.
Spoiler:

Nidwin

Post#16 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:36 pm

geezereur wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:15 pm
Nidwin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:55 am It has already been said in the past. As a Magus you spec in one tree, one tree only and focus in what that tree is good at.

Havoc -> single target poof
Changing -> lol aoe dps from range
Daemonology -> pester mode in deftard spec with pull for lolz

Magus has no place in organized full 24 premade wb or 6-men for the pros as there are much better options for what the Magus can bring to the table.
On the other hand Magus truly shines as solo as add to any wb or group or solo/duo/trio because jack of all trades and big pester machine. I only wished we had some of the Engie's tactic goodies to pester even more.
Feelsbadman I kinda regret making Magus my main, the damn pets die in 1-2 sec in wb action I dont know what has been done to them.
Lose your pet lose your damage.
I know my friend. Magus is a religion and if you're not part of the cult you will regret rolling one. Most folks should have rolled a Sorc and not a Magus but when I write this I'm getting always flamed. It's simple. Learn to Magus without your daemons and if you can have them up, consider it a big bonus.
On the live server I mainly used my daemons for the KD and that was mostly it while most of the time I didn't even bother putting them up.
Nidwinqq used teabag Magus [Hysteria]

empmoz

Post#17 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Here is my change spec build: its amazing in keep defence but thats about it https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,5083,5093

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#18 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:13 am

empmoz wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:54 pm Here is my change spec build: its amazing in keep defence but thats about it https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,5083,5093
For lol dps in defense go full change spec: RoR.builders - Magus

Endless pandemonium is better than the tactic thta you are using. Seed of chaos dont bring much dps....but its another aoe pressure, and its insta...

Im thinking to use infernal pain as another aoe dot...but never tried...

Ads