Recent Topics

Ads

New Magus need help!

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Tillbeast

Re: New Magus need help!

Post#41 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Looks like I need to earn some more realm levels. Knew sacrificing some dps to help survive longer would lower my damage but not anywhere near the amount it has.

Ads
deskofsjn

Post#42 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm

What renown abilities should I invest in for general oRvR, warbands, keep fights & such?

Cythraul

Post#43 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Since it rolls nicely into this topic I won't create a new one to ask.

I'm relatively new and am making a magus to play solo for when my wife and I aren't on our duo. I'll eventually try out all specs, and I've seen how the playstyles differ and they're honestly all pretty appealing, so I don't mind which I start with. I'm curious for the purpose of leveling which spec would be best able to take advantage of bolster? I don't mind stopping to take the time to work on talismans to make my character better, I'm just not sure which stats scale better with bolster.

McJigg

Post#44 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:33 am

Until the mid-20's I would remain Havoc. Once you can get Aegis of orange Fire you can start to experiment with deamo builds, which I personally enjoy. Tzeench's Firestorm is the same for Changing but it's unfortunately currently bugged and unusable under certain bolster conditions.

XsorrowerX

Post#45 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:26 am

deskofsjn wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 pm What renown abilities should I invest in for general oRvR, warbands, keep fights & such?
Most people start with Futile Strikes and then tailor the rest to playstyle. I'm using Futile Strikes, Dodge & Disrupt, and Toughness personally. Some people like to do Parry or Magic Crit.

deskofsjn

Post#46 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:58 pm

XsorrowerX wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:26 am Most people start with Futile Strikes and then tailor the rest to playstyle. I'm using Futile Strikes, Dodge & Disrupt, and Toughness personally. Some people like to do Parry or Magic Crit.
Ok. Thx for reply.

ActAppalled

Post#47 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:07 am

nat3s wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 am /SNIP

https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/inde ... stlord_Set

Now spec like this:

RoR.builders - Magus

Should have something like the following once you've done the above:

1000 int
750 toughness
6k hp
2700 armour
Very useful advice in this thread! But I REALLY need gearing help now though (for Rift tank build) since I have followed the above (have mix of Anni/Domi etc) but now can buy 2-3 Invader pieces (depending on the piece price) and full Opressor. Problem being that Opressor has no tougness bonus or much tougness on the individual pieces, is wounds an ok trade off? Do I just stick to Anni/Domi? It feels bad wearing the entry sets when I can buy the two tiers above that.
Can someone experienced tell me how important tougness really is for deftard rift spec, is there perhaps a defensive stat weight/priority (eg. how much is 1 Toughness worth compared to 1 Wounds /armour/ ini etc).

I fell like I'm low on armour stat as it is currently 2480 (56% reduced) and I still almost get bursted down to 0hp in the knockdown duration of a WL or WH. My Tougness is 678 (with pet tougness tactic: Daemonic Pact) and my wounds are 562. My talismans are all 21+ Tougness except 2 which are 24 int (as I had those on the beastlord set before and they cost too much to replace), my renown is 3 into Futile Strikes (as 2 doesn't reduce my chance to get crit to 0%) and the rest in toughness plus D/D so I'm not even sure why I'm short on every stat that nat3s posted as I have followed his advice and gearing 100%. But that's not my main issue, I'm mainly curious on what combination of Opressor/Invader I should aim for (if even worth it for defensive Rift spec) and possibly gear progression after that (I'm assuming the Daemonolgy Sov set but the bonuses seem quite lackluster compared to the other 2 Sov sets and I might change spec once I get there).

nat3s

Post#48 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:27 am

ActAppalled wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:07 am
nat3s wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 am /SNIP

https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/inde ... stlord_Set

Now spec like this:

RoR.builders - Magus

Should have something like the following once you've done the above:

1000 int
750 toughness
6k hp
2700 armour
Very useful advice in this thread! But I REALLY need gearing help now though (for Rift tank build) since I have followed the above (have mix of Anni/Domi etc) but now can buy 2-3 Invader pieces (depending on the piece price) and full Opressor. Problem being that Opressor has no tougness bonus or much tougness on the individual pieces, is wounds an ok trade off? Do I just stick to Anni/Domi? It feels bad wearing the entry sets when I can buy the two tiers above that.
Can someone experienced tell me how important tougness really is for deftard rift spec, is there perhaps a defensive stat weight/priority (eg. how much is 1 Toughness worth compared to 1 Wounds /armour/ ini etc).

I fell like I'm low on armour stat as it is currently 2480 (56% reduced) and I still almost get bursted down to 0hp in the knockdown duration of a WL or WH. My Tougness is 678 (with pet tougness tactic: Daemonic Pact) and my wounds are 562. My talismans are all 21+ Tougness except 2 which are 24 int (as I had those on the beastlord set before and they cost too much to replace), my renown is 3 into Futile Strikes (as 2 doesn't reduce my chance to get crit to 0%) and the rest in toughness plus D/D so I'm not even sure why I'm short on every stat that nat3s posted as I have followed his advice and gearing 100%. But that's not my main issue, I'm mainly curious on what combination of Opressor/Invader I should aim for (if even worth it for defensive Rift spec) and possibly gear progression after that (I'm assuming the Daemonolgy Sov set but the bonuses seem quite lackluster compared to the other 2 Sov sets and I might change spec once I get there).
The following works well:

4 piece oppressor for the 200 damage shield
3 piece Invader (gloves, belt, jewell)
3 piece BL (cloak, jewell, pocket)
Demonrend weapon from BB/BE

With +23 toughness talis this gets me:

7430 hp (10k with Aegis)
705 toughness
2700 armour with 660 pot

Renowns go full Futile Strikes, full Toughness and then use the 1 remaining point where you like.

You shouldnt lose to WL or WH. When a WL jumps in you immediately detaunt and apply Aegis - the damage from Aegis doesnt interrupt detaunt. This usually means, if they're guardian, they are detaunted during pet stun trying to burst you. Once stun ends pop rejuv pot and place down your insta pet. Now you cast dots and disarm before maw spamming them down. Use knockback if you didnt rift.

WH should be simple, make sure to always face them, taunt then aegis and get your pet down, then dot and use maw/m1 for snare, then knock them back and run them in cricles spamming rend winds.

Only time youll get in trouble is if they pop an AP pot.

Remember your immunities, pet stun cannot be used with disarm and vice versa. Rift cannot be used with knockback. I generally like to use disarm and knockback over pet stun and rift.
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

Ads
ActAppalled

Post#49 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply and advice. Have u considered 4 piece Dominator instead of Opressor in the setup you outlined? Comparing the 4 pieces you would slot (head, shoulders, chest and boots) the difference between the two sets (I'm using the minmax tool to compare sets) is +107 tougness and +212 Armour +3AP p/s (for Dominator) VS +123 Wounds, +11 Intelligence (lol), 2% reduced crit and 200dmg Shield (for Opressor).

Do you think the 200dmg shield + 123 Wounds warrants the loss in 107 Tougness and 212 Armour (especially for someone who struggles vs melee but ranged/casters aren't as big of an issue because of Blue Pet + los). That is the reason why I was curious about stat weights as I might be over valuing tougness but honestly with my current understanding, the Opressor set makes no sense for the price and tier it is sitting at (even though I can buy it, it seems like a sidegrade at best). I would love to know the logic behind its (in my opinion) worse stats versus the much cheaper and accessible Dominator set.

worship

Post#50 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:48 am

Hi!

After reading the thread rolled a Magus and having a blast with him: being low-lvl (33), i'm running safe Havoc spec, but even at low lvl i'm able to kill high-RR enemies, and currently sit around 50RR which surprises me a lot (in a good way) + already got 110 Conq medals and ~40 Vanq.

Long story short, being impressed with my Magus, i've persuaded my brother to roll a 2nd Magus :)

So the question is: what would you build 2 Maguses into?
1. Both Havoc (running it now) - allows to one-shot almost everyone during the sieges, but being lvls 33 and 27 we die to a single high-RR WL in RVR. Or later 2 Havoc Maguses could be good enough? In that case should we remove one +15% damage tactic from the Withered Soul? They are not stacking right?
2. Would you respec one Magus to the deftard version mentioned in this thread with Bolt of Change + Aegis, while the second remains full Havoc?
3. What are the other good options for 2 Maguses? Something that could be used both for the RVR ganking and forts/cities? We don't care about SCs (play them to grind sets/weapons only), or being needed for the organized WBs - fun is #1 priority.

Thanks!