Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] What/where/how

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Zxul

Re: [Magus] What/where/how

Post#31 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:24 pm

abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:06 pm
So if you parry attack for 100 and you get hit by attack for 800 it is 18% damage reduction?

If you like parry that much, its your fight, but this logic is just flawed. 18% Parry is just 18% parry. You can get lucky or you will get rekt with no parry.

I will stay with my bad glass cannon spec killing people in one rotation using my shitty spec, you stay with yours, but do not confuse new players with nonsense please.
So if you parry attack for 800 and you get hit by attack for 100 it is quite a bit more then 18% damage reduction- but the average is 18%, thats why you should learn at least base math.

"You can get lucky"- see above the learning math part. Also, ask any mdps/2h tank why do they invest into parry, if by your logic "its just luck".

"Killing people in one rotation"- killing afk/lowbies (since anyone non afk/not grey/with half decent spec will easily negate your burst by getting out of range / out of los / getting into melee range and beating you into bloody pulp / will be pop on you out of conceal and collect the free renown) might be fun, but it doesn't shows any knowledge about playing the class.

On my chosen/dps dok I consider glass spec engi a free renown sticks with legs- it might be nice of you to try and provide order with free renown from new maguses, but I pretty sure the OP is asking about how to kill people, not how to be killed by any melee which bothers.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
peterthepan3

Post#32 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm

FS2 will be beneficial against a wider range of enemies, while such low Parry would only net some results against melee who: a) have no parry strikethrough whatsoever, and b) aren't going for your back (for whatever reason).

I would invest points into D+D (which I do) over Parry, given that you can capitalise on D+D heavily with the Blue Horror. Parry is technically a + to defenses; I just wouldn't prioritise it over other things.

abodam

Post#33 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Zxul wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:24 pm
abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:06 pm
So if you parry attack for 100 and you get hit by attack for 800 it is 18% damage reduction?

If you like parry that much, its your fight, but this logic is just flawed. 18% Parry is just 18% parry. You can get lucky or you will get rekt with no parry.

I will stay with my bad glass cannon spec killing people in one rotation using my shitty spec, you stay with yours, but do not confuse new players with nonsense please.
So if you parry attack for 800 and you get hit by attack for 100 it is quite a bit more then 18% damage reduction- but the average is 18%, thats why you should learn at least base math.

"You can get lucky"- see above the learning math part. Also, ask any mdps/2h tank why do they invest into parry, if by your logic "its just luck".

"Killing people in one rotation"- killing afk/lowbies (since anyone non afk/not grey/with half decent spec will easily negate your burst by getting out of range / out of los / getting into melee range and beating you into bloody pulp / will be pop on you out of conceal and collect the free renown) might be fun, but it doesn't shows any knowledge about playing the class.

On my chosen/dps dok I consider glass spec engi a free renown sticks with legs- it might be nice of you to try and provide order with free renown from new maguses, but I pretty sure the OP is asking about how to kill people, not how to be killed by any melee which bothers.
The maths surely checks out.
Tanks invest into parry because they are meele, have natural parry, have skills or tactics which increase parry and they can parry guard damage.
I am quite sure I know how to play Magus, but if I will want an advice from such threat like you must be to order, I will let you know. I provided advice to couple of new Maguses around and they usually were quite happy and were visible on kill leaderboard in RvR and in SCs with great KD/D ratio, but I will let them know I was wrong all along. I am also done with reading your post as their just make me sad.
Magus / BG

Zxul

Post#34 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:43 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm FS2 will be beneficial against a wider range of enemies, while such low Parry would only work against melee who: a) have no parry strikethrough whatsoever, and b) aren't going for your back (for whatever reason).

I would invest points into D+D (which I do) over Parry, given that you can capitalise on D+D heavily with the Blue Horror.
Not many melee will have 18% parry strikethrough (slayer not included), since they usually go for crit or parry+Reposte. They might have some, but most of the 18% will still be intact. As for going for your back, every single ability you use in tank spec, assuming Daemonology + Change, is either instacast or castable on move- so if you are giving them your back its your fault and not spec fault.

And its a matter of priority- you have the blue pet, in addition to other mitigation/absorb/heals, vs ranged, while you don't have that vs melee, and while melee and not ranged is what kills you.

On my magus its maxed toughness- maxed parry- D+D next, based on order of priorities.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

Zxul

Post#35 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:52 pm

abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pm The maths surely checks out.
Feel free to explain how 18% is not equal 18% then, which you posted, I'm waiting.
abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pmTanks invest into parry because they are meele, have natural parry, have skills or tactics which increase parry and they can parry guard damage.
And why is that mdps/2h tanks that invest into parry then? And again, assuming tank with say extra 25% parry from abilities, how exactly does that affects the 18% parry from renown? Try to came up with the actual math behind your calculation as well, it it something which I really want to see.
abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pmI am quite sure I know how to play Magus, but if I will want an advice from such threat like you must be to order, I will let you know. I provided advice to couple of new Maguses around and they usually were quite happy and were visible on kill leaderboard in RvR and in SCs with great KD/D ratio, but I will let them know I was wrong all along. I am also done with reading your post as their just make me sad.
Do you want me to also be sorry for hurting your feeling by showing that you fail at base math? Or do you want to reply to my explanation about how anyone with half brain will disable your spec?

abodam

Post#36 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Zxul wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:52 pm
abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pm The maths surely checks out.
Feel free to explain how 18% is not equal 18% then, which you posted, I'm waiting.
abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pmTanks invest into parry because they are meele, have natural parry, have skills or tactics which increase parry and they can parry guard damage.
And why is that mdps/2h tanks that invest into parry then? And again, assuming tank with say extra 25% parry from abilities, how exactly does that affects the 18% parry from renown? Try to came up with the actual math behind your calculation as well, it it something which I really want to see.
abodam wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pmI am quite sure I know how to play Magus, but if I will want an advice from such threat like you must be to order, I will let you know. I provided advice to couple of new Maguses around and they usually were quite happy and were visible on kill leaderboard in RvR and in SCs with great KD/D ratio, but I will let them know I was wrong all along. I am also done with reading your post as their just make me sad.
Do you want me to also be sorry for hurting your feeling by showing that you fail at base math? Or do you want to reply to my explanation about how anyone with half brain will disable your spec?
Ok.
Magus / BG

shaggyboomboom

Post#37 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Lemme spec parry on my AM and zealot, brb.

Tankbeardz

Post#38 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Zxul wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:58 pm
Tankbeardz wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:50 pm
Zxul wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:03 pm That 18% parry is surely gonna help against WLs, WHs and other melee classes, which is also why every melee class is training parry.

People who have no idea about the class, and which are assuming that 18% dmg reduction vs exactly the classes magus will fight in open rvr isn't worth the points, are amusing.
WL and WHs will always have your back and since magus have no STR, attacking you from the front will work every time because of how strikethrough works.

Also...18% parry doesn't = 18% damage reduction....
Wl when he jumps to you won't have your back. WH will have your back for 3 sec, after that if he is still getting your back, since everything you use is instacast/castable on move, means you doing it wrong.

And now to the lesson about game mechanics:

1. How much str you have has no effect at all on how much you parry- you gain parry from ws, not from str.
2. Strikethrough gained from having high str only works vs parry gained from ws- it has no effect vs parry gained from renown items.

And yes, 18% hits parried=18% less dmg.
1. Melee will just circle around you and use gap closers to catch up. This is not rocket science.
2. Holy ****...math does not work that way.
•Assuming Parry is 20%: 100% damage 20% of the time (assuming no strikethrough) is not the same as 20% of all damage.
If someone hits you for 1000 10x, you don't reduce 2000 damage...you simply take all of the damage.
If someone hits you for 1000 10x and you parry 2 attacks you take 8000 damage. However, you are never
guaranteed to parry at all...or you can parry 4 attacks. RNGesus said so.
3. Crit reduction and toughness work against ALL classes and ALL damage.
4. Tanks invest in parry to counter CC of other tanks and some of the direct damage that comes their way. Oh and guard damage...still not 100% sure how that works on this server any more.

Ads
Zxul

Post#39 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Tankbeardz wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 pm 1. Melee will just circle around you and use gap closers to catch up. This is not rocket science.
2. Holy ****...math does not work that way.
•Assuming Parry is 20%: 100% damage 20% of the time (assuming no strikethrough) is not the same as 20% of all damage.
If someone hits you for 1000 10x, you don't reduce 2000 damage...you simply take all of the damage.
If someone hits you for 1000 10x and you parry 2 attacks you take 8000 damage. However, you are never
guaranteed to parry at all...or you can parry 4 attacks. RNGesus said so.
3. Crit reduction and toughness work against ALL classes and ALL damage.
4. Tanks invest in parry to counter CC of other tanks and some of the direct damage that comes their way. Oh and guard damage...still not 100% sure how that works on this server any more.
1. Let me post it the 10th time- everything which I cast on magus is instacast/castable on move, so I can circle around melee just as well as I do on my chosen. This is not rocket science, try to read it a few more times, eventually even you will get it.
2. Do you know what "average" means?
3. Read what I replied to Peter above.
4. Plz enlighten me which part of "mdps/2h tanks" is so hard for you to figure out.

peterthepan3

Post#40 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Zxul wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:43 pm
peterthepan3 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm FS2 will be beneficial against a wider range of enemies, while such low Parry would only work against melee who: a) have no parry strikethrough whatsoever, and b) aren't going for your back (for whatever reason).

I would invest points into D+D (which I do) over Parry, given that you can capitalise on D+D heavily with the Blue Horror.
Not many melee will have 18% parry strikethrough (slayer not included), since they usually go for crit or parry+Reposte. They might have some, but most of the 18% will still be intact. As for going for your back, every single ability you use in tank spec, assuming Daemonology + Change, is either instacast or castable on move- so if you are giving them your back its your fault and not spec fault.

And its a matter of priority- you have the blue pet, in addition to other mitigation/absorb/heals, vs ranged, while you don't have that vs melee, and while melee and not ranged is what kills you.

On my magus its maxed toughness- maxed parry- D+D next, based on order of priorities.
They don't need to have 18% parry strikethrough (nor would most of them, as you have said), but even 3 or 5% will bring that down to 13% parry, not to mention the tactics/ablities your opponent could use against you to further negate your parry levels: Discerning Offence (accessible to all HE), Pierce Defenses (which would all but render your parry entirely null and void), Slayer's Rampage, Seeker's Blade, 2H WP's +10% innate parry strikethrough, Biting Blade. This isn't to say that your opponent would deliberately spec such a way to counter you, but it shows how important it is for you to invest heavily into parry to counter such debuffs, should you wish to make proper use of it.

I play Havoc/Demo for solo spec (BoC vs WHs/SM/IB/KOBS). A nice KD from WH/GWL/IB = your back is exposed = your parry becomes redundant = it is much, much more important that you have the wounds, toughness, and low % to be crit to survive this period. You'll be parrying so infrequently that it would not warrant giving up any of the above: once you have maxed out Toughness, D+D (I spec to come up against a variety of opponents, and max D+D is mandatory vs DPS AMs), and invested 2/3 points into FS, you'd be better off putting the remainder in wounds/ini, imo.

I'll check out the parry sometime for teh lulz.