Recent Topics

Ads

[Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
IronCypher
Posts: 4

[Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#1 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Hello,

I'm, like many people recently, relatively new to RoR. I played AoR back during original release but due to various circumstances stopped playing prior to the release of the Choppa/Slayer. I've tried to find the answers to these questions by searching the forums but I've had little luck, and the search function doesn't appear to like me much.

My questions largely revolve around...

1) As far as mastery and renown, where should I be pumping my points and in what order?

2) As far as itemization I understand what the "priorities" are but it's more a question of how heavily to follow them. As an example if I have the choice between +12 Strength/+8 Wounds and +10 Strength/+10 Toughness, would the additional tankiness be worth the equivalent drop in strength? Or is it just pump those numbers up rookie for the DPS stats because the defensive stats will never get high enough to matter at that level?

3) What is a Choppa's actual role? Is it to kill squishies? Is it single target or AoE? Is it just running in with 'Get to da Choppa' and ruining the backlines positioning? How can I best help my time if I choose to play this class?

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to answer my questions.

Ads
User avatar
adapter
Posts: 292

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#2 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm

1)Furious Choppin (lifesteal) is very important to have above everything else. If you play warbands and you still low level renown you should just go for the whole Da Wrecka Tree, once you reach 60 or 70 renown you should have Furious Choppin + Can't Stop da Chop (heal debuff) + Git to da Choppa

2)Toughness is useless for Choppa, so the main stats to go for are Strenght/Weapon Skill/Initiative/Wounds/Melee Crit. Strike

3) Roles can vary from Single Target, AoE Spec and Solo roam. In warband context, the positioning is key for the Choppa to deliver GTDC and Bring it On, need to have inmunities first, if not, you will get interumpted easily and thus becoming your AoE burst useless. Timing and Positioning are very important for the Choppa at warband gameplay. The gear would be in this next order; Mercenary --> Conqueror --> Vanquisher --> Invader--> Sovereign Berserker+something else. (Vanquisher deals more damage than Invader)


You can play all, scenario being aoe or single target spec, warband is way better for be aoe spec and for solo roam you still need Life Steal and GTDC to not let enemy run away. 2H Da Wrecka spec is also really good for Solo roam due to it being more about quick burst and more defensive.

IronCypher
Posts: 4

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#3 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:51 pm

adapter wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm

2)Toughness is useless for Choppa, so the main stats to go for are Strenght/Weapon Skill/Initiative/Wounds/Melee Crit. Strike
First, thank you for taking the time to respond. This is all very valuable to me.

As a follow-up to this question, will I be getting most of my defensive itemization through talismans? I understands gear is pretty structed in that you want X sets and Y weapons for example.

Thank you again.

User avatar
adapter
Posts: 292

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#4 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm

IronCypher wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:51 pm
adapter wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm

2)Toughness is useless for Choppa, so the main stats to go for are Strenght/Weapon Skill/Initiative/Wounds/Melee Crit. Strike
First, thank you for taking the time to respond. This is all very valuable to me.

As a follow-up to this question, will I be getting most of my defensive itemization through talismans? I understands gear is pretty structed in that you want X sets and Y weapons for example.

Thank you again.
Talismans should all be Weapon Skill. Defensive stats you get from a few items from the Sets I mentioned. You also should spend Renown points on Futile Strikes, so having between 250 to 320 Initiative and Futiles Strikes level 2 or 3 is what makes the Choppa survive longer.

The go to tactics will be; Brute Force / Don't wanna live foreva / Stab you guder / Jagged Edge or I'm da Biggest!

Morales are; M1 Dat Tickles! and M2 Tantrum.

IronCypher
Posts: 4

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#5 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:04 pm

adapter wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
IronCypher wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:51 pm
adapter wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm

2)Toughness is useless for Choppa, so the main stats to go for are Strenght/Weapon Skill/Initiative/Wounds/Melee Crit. Strike
First, thank you for taking the time to respond. This is all very valuable to me.

As a follow-up to this question, will I be getting most of my defensive itemization through talismans? I understands gear is pretty structed in that you want X sets and Y weapons for example.

Thank you again.
Talismans should all be Weapon Skill. Defensive stats you get from a few items from the Sets I mentioned. You also should spend Renown points on Futile Strikes, so having between 250 to 320 Initiative and Futiles Strikes level 2 or 3 is what makes the Choppa survive longer.

The go to tactics will be; Brute Force / Don't wanna live foreva / Stab you guder / Jagged Edge or I'm da Biggest!

Morales are; M1 Dat Tickles! and M2 Tantrum.
Thanks a ton, really appreciate your help here.

Moonbiter
Posts: 3

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#6 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:46 pm

adapter wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm
...2H Da Wrecka spec is also really good for Solo roam due to it being more about quick burst and more defensive.
Why 2H is more defensive?

Illuminati
Posts: 172

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#7 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:14 pm

Moonbiter wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:46 pm
adapter wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm
...2H Da Wrecka spec is also really good for Solo roam due to it being more about quick burst and more defensive.
Why 2H is more defensive?
Greatweapon = you can use Pent Up Rage and exhaust to stay in the Yellow (thereby keeping your full resistance/armor). Some consider this a more defensive way to build.
2Weps = you get a +10% parry for dual wielding (shows up using the .getstats command). Remember Parry (or any evasion check) is [your stat] vs [opponent stat]

I think you are probably more defensive with 2Weps vs Melee and more defensive with Greatweapon vs casters.
————————————————
Destro: Killamanjaro (80+ Choppa) / Killamanjaroo (70+ DoK) / Unsworn (70+ Chosen) / Illuminatii (60+ Blackguard) / Killaman (80+ Squig)
Order: ?

Bugs reported: 6

Rapzel
Posts: 26

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#8 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:16 pm

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,4678,4670
Pug stomper build, no req. on 2h or dual wield.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... mm=&mt=&t=
WB build, there's variations, but that's the base build.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... mm=&mt=&t=
ST focused, mainly for dual wield.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... 696&mt=&t=
Experimental pump build, that people are trying out for 6 man.

Depending on what you're up against, Invader or Sov is probably still BiS.
Gear progression looks something like Full Beastlord + rest dominator, 3 piece genesis.
Then 5 piece Vanq with 4 piece Beastlord (usually helm) with genesis.
Invader with 3 piece beastlord, and depending on how much you run PvE, sentinel jewel + helm is not bad for the extra str. now that Imperator and Overlord is in you can probably mix that in as well to get some extra init.
Full invader is probably the potentially highest dps output on Choppa, but you're literally glass so you might want to swap to sov and mix those two.

Choppa has a high start init so it's quite easy to hit the 300 init cap with just a talisman or two in the beginning.

Str is also quite easy to cap at around 1050 with pots and set bonuses.

Weaponskill is very difficult to cap and is what you should focus your talisman slots on later on.

Wounds, is okay, but since you have the orc buff you can just swap out a tactic for this if you feel squish, with full sov you can hit around 10k hp, no problems with that tactic.

renown should be spent on Futile strikes and Opportunist, I would recommend you to start with 3 points in FS and then try to cap out Opportunist, that's a total of 75 points so then you'll probably understand your weaknesses and strengths, and can respec one point FS into something you'd rather have, like full Reflexes.

Weapons atm are Bloodlord weapon and 61 SC weapon you can run double bloodlord, for the extra init but it's up to you, as the buff/debuff doesn't stack and the bloodlord weapon only increases your damage slightly compared to the SC weapon (total dps 61.7 on bloodlord with m. power and str bonus, vs. 61.3 total dps on sc weapon) while sc weapon gives you 3 ap/s and 24 wounds, but you get less init so it's really up to you there.

Subjugator is still good for a long time and since there's no proper other choices this is fine for a long time until you hit the end game gear. I would say they even might be preferred in wb because of the extra damage from the procc.

Sentinel weapons, if I remember correctly they have less damage than the SC weapon and there by less damage than the subjugator, and I can't remember a single good procc except the same one that's on subjugator, so I don't think they're good at all (don't think any of the 1h have any str for some reason either)

The only place where you would rather have a sentinel weapon than subjugator is the 2h are really nice, (Subjugator 2h is utter garbage for choppa) the slow and other proccs procc quite often so that's nice. But I think the Bloodlord and SC weapon outshines the sentinel weapon here.

Notable mentions:
Jagged edge, works okay early on in WB play, Easy killing is very good in PvE.
Pent up rage works well against pug healers, knock down, heal and crit debuff and get a few wreckless blows off will put some heavy pressure on them.
Riposte works for soloing, and having a look at Longer and Stronger might not be a bad idea for kiting out some of the enemy's powerful buffs and give you some regen.

Why DW over 2h?
2h is more burst and if you line it up with your heavy hitting abilities it's doable, but you lose 10% parry from just dual wielding, and as you lose 50% of your defensive stats while berserk, a kd and burst deletes you.

Ads
IronCypher
Posts: 4

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#9 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:21 am

Rapzel wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:16 pm
https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... ,4678,4670
Pug stomper build, no req. on 2h or dual wield.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... mm=&mt=&t=
WB build, there's variations, but that's the base build.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... mm=&mt=&t=
ST focused, mainly for dual wield.

https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... 696&mt=&t=
Experimental pump build, that people are trying out for 6 man.

Depending on what you're up against, Invader or Sov is probably still BiS.
Gear progression looks something like Full Beastlord + rest dominator, 3 piece genesis.
Then 5 piece Vanq with 4 piece Beastlord (usually helm) with genesis.
Invader with 3 piece beastlord, and depending on how much you run PvE, sentinel jewel + helm is not bad for the extra str. now that Imperator and Overlord is in you can probably mix that in as well to get some extra init.
Full invader is probably the potentially highest dps output on Choppa, but you're literally glass so you might want to swap to sov and mix those two.

Choppa has a high start init so it's quite easy to hit the 300 init cap with just a talisman or two in the beginning.

Str is also quite easy to cap at around 1050 with pots and set bonuses.

Weaponskill is very difficult to cap and is what you should focus your talisman slots on later on.

Wounds, is okay, but since you have the orc buff you can just swap out a tactic for this if you feel squish, with full sov you can hit around 10k hp, no problems with that tactic.

renown should be spent on Futile strikes and Opportunist, I would recommend you to start with 3 points in FS and then try to cap out Opportunist, that's a total of 75 points so then you'll probably understand your weaknesses and strengths, and can respec one point FS into something you'd rather have, like full Reflexes.

Weapons atm are Bloodlord weapon and 61 SC weapon you can run double bloodlord, for the extra init but it's up to you, as the buff/debuff doesn't stack and the bloodlord weapon only increases your damage slightly compared to the SC weapon (total dps 61.7 on bloodlord with m. power and str bonus, vs. 61.3 total dps on sc weapon) while sc weapon gives you 3 ap/s and 24 wounds, but you get less init so it's really up to you there.

Subjugator is still good for a long time and since there's no proper other choices this is fine for a long time until you hit the end game gear. I would say they even might be preferred in wb because of the extra damage from the procc.

Sentinel weapons, if I remember correctly they have less damage than the SC weapon and there by less damage than the subjugator, and I can't remember a single good procc except the same one that's on subjugator, so I don't think they're good at all (don't think any of the 1h have any str for some reason either)

The only place where you would rather have a sentinel weapon than subjugator is the 2h are really nice, (Subjugator 2h is utter garbage for choppa) the slow and other proccs procc quite often so that's nice. But I think the Bloodlord and SC weapon outshines the sentinel weapon here.

Notable mentions:
Jagged edge, works okay early on in WB play, Easy killing is very good in PvE.
Pent up rage works well against pug healers, knock down, heal and crit debuff and get a few wreckless blows off will put some heavy pressure on them.
Riposte works for soloing, and having a look at Longer and Stronger might not be a bad idea for kiting out some of the enemy's powerful buffs and give you some regen.

Why DW over 2h?
2h is more burst and if you line it up with your heavy hitting abilities it's doable, but you lose 10% parry from just dual wielding, and as you lose 50% of your defensive stats while berserk, a kd and burst deletes you.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write this out!

I understand a lot of this is a ways off, but I know Beastlord requires quests to complete. Is that something I want to get on ASAP, or wait until I hit CR 40 to start working on? I also went around to all the vendors I could find but couldn't find Subjugator anywhere. There appears to be a wiki but there's a definite dearth of information there.

Thank you again

TreefAM
Posts: 217

Re: [Choppa] Level/Itemization inquiry + Role clarification

Post#10 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 am

You get subjugator weapons at rr40 in purple/gold bags

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests