Recent Topics

Ads

[Choppa] Is Choppa right for me?

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Darrell

[Choppa] Is Choppa right for me?

Post#1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:35 am

It's awesome to see Warhammer Online up and running again! I've been messing around the last couple of days on a few classes, trying to see what feels right to me. I was hoping to get some advice, based on what I'm looking for, which direction I should go in.

I prefer melee classes over ranged; they are frustrating, but I have a lot more fun that way than I do just standing back and shooting arrows or slinging spells. In the past, I've played Witch Hunter, Choppa and Marauder to relatively high ranks and enjoyed all of them. My schedule tends to be erratic, so group runs tend to be rare for me to be able to do; usually I'll just dropping into scenarios with solo queue. My Choppa is Rank 8 or 9 now, and my experiences have been mixed, which I know is the case for solo queue.

For a player usually running solo, is Choppa a good choice? Would another melee class, Order or Destro, be more suited to it? I know Witch Hunter/Elf is recommended a lot as a solo class, but in my experience in scenarios I tend to just get trained down even when sticking with a tank or the main group. The thing I really like about Choppa is the armor and weapon design, which I think is a lot better than Slayers, but Marauders also have some pretty good cosmetics going and everyone knows Witch Hunter hats are where they draw all their power.

I'm currently saving up Recruit Tokens so I can buy my weapons from the vendor in the Inevitable City, which I think I'll be able to do at Rank 10. It's been a long time since I played so, are there any other ways to get the gear I need to smash face beyond just dropping in scenarios and hoping for the best? I've been doing PQs when I can and questing between scenario drops, but the tokens don't seem to come in with more than a trickle. At Rank 10 I'll be able to afford my weapons and that's about it.

Finally, I've looked through the forums and seen a lot of builds posted, but they tend to be Rank 32 or higher. Are there any places where I can see more of a low level guide, perhaps showing where points need to be spent as I level up? Likewise, at my rank, would dual wielding or 2H be the way to go? Is there a point where a transition should be made?

It's great to be playing the game again; I loved it on live. I'll appreciate any advice you folks can offer me!

Ads
TenTonHammer

Re: [Choppa] Is Choppa right for me?

Post#2 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:27 am

hi

so here the deal with choppas, first and foremost yes they can solo

infact every class in this game can solo its all about picking your battles,

now like i said choppas can solo but to reach you "full potential" i.e running in red you need a dedicated pocket healer and guard

but as i mentioned before, if you stay aware of your positioning, and pick you battles and dont just bum rush every enemy you see (espically rdps) yelling WAAAAAGH! at the top of your voice you will be fine

as for points spent the specing is very straight forward and simple

http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=chp ... 9:;0:0:0:0:

now i know this is a max level build but it can help you see want to do, now you are a solo choppa you should take duel diweld for the 10% parry bonus

so becuase you take dw, i dint put any 2h abilites to spec now what you want to do is go up the savage tree first, grabbing the abilities in the tree first as you go

until you get to 35/40 then you respec
http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=chp ... 0:;0:0:0:0:

drop keep on choppin for bleed em out

as a solo player its important to stack parry for survive, which is why i say run DW and get max parry renown

this is what im running on my choppa
http://waronlinebuilder.org/#renown;300 ... 0000000100

some people might drop points else where for dodge and disrupt

also i suggest running full duelist for suriveability to offset toughness loss from dont wanna live for eva, more parry and reactionary bonus

Gobtar

Post#3 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 am

Darrell wrote:It's awesome to see Warhammer Online up and running again! I've been messing around the last couple of days on a few classes, trying to see what feels right to me. I was hoping to get some advice, based on what I'm looking for, which direction I should go in.

I prefer melee classes over ranged; they are frustrating, but I have a lot more fun that way than I do just standing back and shooting arrows or slinging spells. In the past, I've played Witch Hunter, Choppa and Marauder to relatively high ranks and enjoyed all of them. My schedule tends to be erratic, so group runs tend to be rare for me to be able to do; usually I'll just dropping into scenarios with solo queue. My Choppa is Rank 8 or 9 now, and my experiences have been mixed, which I know is the case for solo queue.

For a player usually running solo, is Choppa a good choice? Would another melee class, Order or Destro, be more suited to it? I know Witch Hunter/Elf is recommended a lot as a solo class, but in my experience in scenarios I tend to just get trained down even when sticking with a tank or the main group. The thing I really like about Choppa is the armor and weapon design, which I think is a lot better than Slayers, but Marauders also have some pretty good cosmetics going and everyone knows Witch Hunter hats are where they draw all their power.

I'm currently saving up Recruit Tokens so I can buy my weapons from the vendor in the Inevitable City, which I think I'll be able to do at Rank 10. It's been a long time since I played so, are there any other ways to get the gear I need to smash face beyond just dropping in scenarios and hoping for the best? I've been doing PQs when I can and questing between scenario drops, but the tokens don't seem to come in with more than a trickle. At Rank 10 I'll be able to afford my weapons and that's about it.

Finally, I've looked through the forums and seen a lot of builds posted, but they tend to be Rank 32 or higher. Are there any places where I can see more of a low level guide, perhaps showing where points need to be spent as I level up? Likewise, at my rank, would dual wielding or 2H be the way to go? Is there a point where a transition should be made?

It's great to be playing the game again; I loved it on live. I'll appreciate any advice you folks can offer me!
" Is Choppa right for me?" No. Choppas require a tank and healer to be effective, you will end up more frusterated than anything else. You erratic schedule will ensure that you wont have a stable group, because you don't have a group it will be difficult to get the gear and skill needed to keep a group with you.

If you are stuck on MDPS: Witch Elf, Witch Hunter or an Arch Mage might suit you better.

TenTonHammer

Post#4 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:33 am

i think that last part about gear is false

you can get boots and gloves from drops and other players

depending on what armor combo you want

3 piece stalk 2 piece deva or 5 piece duelist its not "that hard" to get

ive solo played choppa since the beginning yes its annoying knowing that im not having the impact i could

and you can literally feel the difference like you are professional fighter who is told that they can stop pulling their punches but i wouldnt describe solo choppa as..."frustrating"

Sizer

Post#5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:29 am

Choppas are fantastic solo. And with the exception of we's being able to stealth gank people (which gets old really fast), id say they are the best solo melee on destro. Run a spec like waronlinebuilder.org - Choppa build, learn to hit your self heal after your kd, and pick up RD to deal with sws, and you can solo almost anyone. Takes a lot of skill, definitely more than a mara or a sh, but its fun.
Aenea - SW / Aeneaa - AM
Sizer - Shaman / Artsupplies - Sorc

Gobtar

Post#6 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:23 am

TenTonHammer wrote: 3 piece stalk 2 piece deva or 5 piece duelist its not "that hard" to get

ive solo played choppa since the beginning yes its annoying knowing that im not having the impact i could

and you can literally feel the difference like you are professional fighter who is told that they can stop pulling their punches but i wouldnt describe solo choppa as..."frustrating"
Yeah gear is much easier to get now, I was speaking more to the future. I was also speaking purely from a SC perspective as why I highlighted what I did. Choppas and Slayers are incredibly difficult to play solo, compared to WH/WE (which will eventually have a disengage), and Marauders and WLs which are far more "durable". All DPS will literally target you first if they see an unguarded choppa.

Everything Sizer said is true when roaming, you can have a lot of fun, An AM will be a practical death sentence however, so I would grab Cleansing winds as well...I just don't think that you will have as much fun PUGing as your alternatives. Good luck either way!

roadkillrobin

Post#7 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:25 am

To get the moast out of ANY melee dps in this game you need a support team.
Choppas and Slayers are the classes that needs it the moast. They both hit against armor with no armor debuffs. This isn't an issue atm due to gear being being so behind. But once gear gets updated it will be really notible. You need someone that can debuff armor. Choppas best armor debuff support is Black Orcs. They don't have the highest armor debuff in the game. But they also buffs you're weapnskill. And they also have a massive initive debuffs wich gonna make make Stab You Gooder much better. Black Guard is another tank thats got armor debuff. However they don't offer much more utillity to help the Choppa unless exept for some CC. They have the option to go 2hander for crit buff. But loosing block when guarding a Choppa isn't something that your healers gonna be thrilled about.

You also gonna need healers that understand that you play a Choppa and gonna need alot more focus healing then moast classes. The averege PuG healer arn't gonna prioritize healing you over anyone else in your team. A good healer will get this tho. Zealots specced for absorbs is really good for Choppas. Absorbs happens before armor or ressistance are being calculated, So being in full Berzerk have no effect on absorbs making them the best heals for Choppas. You can combine this with a Shaman or DoK. Toughness buff from Shamans also works before armor or ressistance. So it's great in combination with the Zealot absorbs. While DoK is just really really relible heals. Both work great for 2nd healer.

So you see. Choppas take a whole support team to get the moast out of. The melee that takes the least amount of support are Marauders and White Lions. they are much tankier and can get away with not having dedicated healers or guard much more. They also don't need a tank to debuff armor for them as they have it by themself. I'd propobly go for Marauder if i were you.

magter3001

Post#8 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:14 am

Is the class right for you? You should know if you say you've played the class to relatively high ranks. If you say you're going solo on the class, then you better be ready to learn to play. The class performs at it's peak if you have a tank and heals but can do really well and top the charts even solo if you play the right way.

If you are going to play like 90% of the slayers and choppas on the server, going balls deep into the enemy... then I suggest playing a tank class. If you are willing to wait and pick your battles, using the terrain or combat circumstance to your advantage, then you can do really well with the class.

I made a couple of solo roaming vids and a guide to playing the Choppa so you can judge for yourself how the class can perform.
Agrot 35/40 Aggychopp 32/40
Grelin of Magnus/Badlands ;)

Ads
Darrell

Post#9 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 am

Thank you all for the helpful advice thus far!

Some of the classes I played to a higher level than others (WH was my only Rank 40, Choppa was around 23, Marauder was about 30), so I don't know quite how all of them function at the highest level.

A question regarding Marauder compared to Choppa; I see the most common Mara build is Savagery up to Clutch and then points in Brutality. Looking at the class, I don't understand how that spec does damage. With the Choppa, I understand; you get mad, you hit things, go for the soft spot when you can (I'm in NA so the latency is funny). Spam your toughness debuff, snare, et cetera. With the Marauder's most popular build that I've seen, I can't figure it out. Presumably you wound debuff, armor debuff, heal debuff and then... Flail, I guess? I know stance switching is mentioned as being important, so I guess the idea would be debuff, Brutality arm, I guess impale? then renew debuffs? It doesn't make sense looking at it.

As for rushing in, I think I may actually play a bit too cautiously most of the time. That may be because it's been so long since I played so I don't have a lot of confidence in my play. I try to pick my battles, but I have a lot to learn.

Didn't want to ask too many Marauder questions here, but hoping it's okay since I'm confused about hos they deal their damage compared to a Choppa which seems rather obvious.