Recent Topics

Ads

[ADDON] GCDsaver 1.0.6

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Kloaner

Re: [ADDON] GCDsaver 1.0.4

Post#41 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Talladego wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:17 am Changing that now, trying to turn the game into some esport venue doesn't make sense to me.
and i always thought only the players who use NB to the max are the elite players. now it's the other way around, i'm confused! :shock:
AM / RP / Shaman / Zealot / WP / DoK

Ads
Omegus

Re: [ADDON] GCDsaver 1.0.5

Post#42 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:19 pm

tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pmYou're playing a game that has since been terminated by EA Mythic and is run by some guys on a server somewhere in Europe because if they hosted it in America they'd be slapped with the heaviest cease and desist notices for infringing on IP rights and possibly be in hellscape debt that would haunt their existence forevermore. Better reel that moral compass argument right back in.
EA no longer have the license and likely do not even have ownership of anything Warhammer-related that they created as per usual licensing agreements, and really have zero incentive to sue. GW could sue and if so then the server being in France would not hinder this in the slightest as 1) you sue the person anyway, and b) France's copyright laws very much favour the owner, 3) GW have a history of sueing across borders, 4) the project lead and Games Workshop are based in the same country anyway, 5) And the EU - which France is part of - also seem to be doubling down on strong copyright laws in general.

The server being in France is likely more of a risk than it being in America. And if GW were going to sue they probably would have done it by now...
tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pmThis doesn't automate for you. You press a button and it does or doesn't depending on a buff check.
It's literally automating buff checking so you don't have to. Unlike something like BuffHead which just presents the information to you and you need to make a choice, this one will make that choice for you with 100% accuracy. It doesn't press the right button for you, but it does stop you from pressing the wrong button. As mentioned previously in this thread, another way of implementing NB-like functionality is to have you press all the relevant ability shortcuts at once (sounds stupid but trivial with a macro keyboard to bind multiple keys to 1 key) and then use an addon to block the abilities which do not match the current "active" ability on the conditional sequence.

The decision making is automated. The fact that you have to press 1 every GCD to trigger this doesn't change that combat decisions are being made on your behalf.

I'm on the fence with the NB block (was it useful? Of course. Does it being blocked prevent me from playing? No), but let's not pretend that automated decision making isn't automated decision making.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Sulorie

Post#43 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:40 pm

tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pm
... if they hosted it in America they'd be slapped with the heaviest cease and desist notices for infringing on IP rights ...
You are wrong.
Dying is no option.

tvbrowntown
Suspended

Post#44 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:08 pm

Omegus wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:19 pm
tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pmblah.
EA no longer have the license and likely do not even have ownership of anything Warhammer-related that they created as per usual licensing agreements, and really have zero incentive to sue. GW could sue and if so then the server being in France would not hinder this in the slightest as 1) you sue the person anyway, and b) France's copyright laws very much favour the owner, 3) GW have a history of sueing across borders, 4) the project lead and Games Workshop are based in the same country anyway, 5) And the EU - which France is part of - also seem to be doubling down on strong copyright laws in general.

The server being in France is likely more of a risk than it being in America. And if GW were going to sue they probably would have done it by now...
tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pmmore blah.
It's literally automating buff checking so you don't have to. Unlike something like BuffHead which just presents the information to you and you need to make a choice, this one will make that choice for you with 100% accuracy. It doesn't press the right button for you, but it does stop you from pressing the wrong button. As mentioned previously in this thread, another way of implementing NB-like functionality is to have you press all the relevant ability shortcuts at once (sounds stupid but trivial with a macro keyboard to bind multiple keys to 1 key) and then use an addon to block the abilities which do not match the current "active" ability on the conditional sequence.

The decision making is automated. The fact that you have to press 1 every GCD to trigger this doesn't change that combat decisions are being made on your behalf.

I'm on the fence with the NB block (was it useful? Of course. Does it being blocked prevent me from playing? No), but let's not pretend that automated decision making isn't automated decision making.
For the first part, fair point about EA but also GW have been quite happy to **** all over peoples parades in the past when it comes to their miniatures - even with fan-made movies, etc. I think a running warhammer server using their IP would be more of a threat to them than a fan-movie so who knows why they haven't gone for it yet based off what you've said. As with WoW private servers they are able to stay out of Blizzards reach in Europe due to some laws that don't allow Blizzard that kind of reach. I would've thought that in America the server would cease to exist very quickly in comparison so it's a mystery to me now then why this server hasn't been blasted apart by lawyers now.

In regards to the second point, when people talk about the automation of NB I am referring to its ability to conditionally check AND string together a bunch of spells to use automatically - taking a lot more of the thinking out of play because at that point a player just needs to press X over and over to play. While I can understand that some might see a buff check as automated the reality is not black and white and you could then argue that click-casting is automation since you don't have to select target and then cast. Which is a WILD logical path to take - but you could argue down that path. Could also say its making decisions for you because it automates that small process. AGAIN, wild logic. (I don't subscribe to the wild logic myself, but it's a perspective people can hold is my point)

The idea around an addons acceptability should be unified - they should not give you an advantage over other players, and they should not play the game for you. NB strays too close to the sun in terms of playing the game for you for some, and for others who didn't use it to string together more than 3 spells it's a pain to have it gone. I personally liked having my conditional spell tied to a button that was also used on a spell I didn't use as bread a butter. I didn't have to reach over a bit further and I knew I was gonna cast that spell if it was available. Was it making decisions for me or was it just making it so I have to press 19 buttons instead of 20?

tvbrowntown
Suspended

Post#45 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:40 pm
... if they hosted it in America they'd be slapped with the heaviest cease and desist notices for infringing on IP rights ...
You are wrong.
As I've discovered. Guess you know that saying they have about assuming.

EDIT: Would've appreciated a why though instead of a YouTube comment style incorrect notification.

Lithenir

Post#46 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:12 pm

tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:08 pm
Omegus wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:19 pm
tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pmblah.

tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:28 pmmore blah.

For the first part, fair point about EA but also GW have been quite happy to **** all over peoples parades in the past when it comes to their miniatures - even with fan-made movies, etc. I think a running warhammer server using their IP would be more of a threat to them than a fan-movie so who knows why they haven't gone for it yet based off what you've said. As with WoW private servers they are able to stay out of Blizzards reach in Europe due to some laws that don't allow Blizzard that kind of reach. I would've thought that in America the server would cease to exist very quickly in comparison so it's a mystery to me now then why this server hasn't been blasted apart by lawyers now.
As many other people you are wrong at thinking, that GW has a problem with fan-movies. Many movies and movie makers are still around. You wanna witch fan movie makers got **** up? The ones with a patreon for example. You still can make fan-movies and it's pretty fine. The only thing GW doesn't like is if you make money with it.
Guess what. This server isn't making any money.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#47 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:25 pm

tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:08 pm For the first part, fair point about EA but also GW have been quite happy to **** all over peoples parades in the past when it comes to their miniatures - even with fan-made movies, etc. I think a running warhammer server using their IP would be more of a threat to them than a fan-movie so who knows why they haven't gone for it yet based off what you've said. As with WoW private servers they are able to stay out of Blizzards reach in Europe due to some laws that don't allow Blizzard that kind of reach. I would've thought that in America the server would cease to exist very quickly in comparison so it's a mystery to me now then why this server hasn't been blasted apart by lawyers now.
TL;DR It's really not a significant concern at all for us, we do things the right way.

The drama from the summer was people using Warhammer IP to create content, without having license to do so, and while making a significant amount of money in the process. You can still make fan content, you're not allowed to get paid for it. GW tried to hire those content creators, not run them off the platform, and in response a couple of them pissed their pants and cried on the internet that daddy GW was kicking them in the balls repeatedly unprovoked even when they absolutely knew they were wrong. A bunch of the ones offered actual jobs bit at the opportunity to get paid by GW directly, and they've been locked in a basement somewhere making the next cool something or other that we'll hear about in a couple years maybe.

Was it the best move for fans? No, of course not. We just want to see cool Warhammer stuff, and screw all the legalities inbetween. That's not how the real world works, sometimes you gotta know where the line is. The content creators who were making thousands of dollars a month off GW IP unimpeded is a textbook example of infringement that needs to be shutdown, both sides knew it. It was only a matter of time until something happened.

We also make Warhammer content, but I can very much assure you ain't nobody around here getting paid for it. It's a cost that comes out of pocket, servers just don't cost as much as people assume they do. Running the server is partly done through existing infrastructure for other professional projects, and the cost when running solo was essentially a monthly car payment. No one at ROR has ever asked for a dime from staff or the playerbase, and we've refused the generous offerings from thousands of people over the years who would have simply thrown excessive amounts of money at us with no further expectation. We're not a money-adjacent project and GW is apparently happy that we exist to prop up their dead game that catches the interest of their fans. We've never heard a single word from them, and short of offering to buy out the project and bring us in-house, I doubt we're ever going to.

EA has absolutely no bearing on what we do from my understanding of how the licensing was handled. But even if they did, we don't have money, and it would be nothing more than a **** move to annoy people to threaten to shut us down. Also, if we were ever to get so much as a hint that someone wanted us to shutdown, it would happen within the hour with a couple simple buttons pressed. Then we would go ask them how to keep them happy so we can continue to keep you guys happy.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

fatelvis

Post#48 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:52 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:25 pm [...] with a couple simple buttons pressed. [...]
Maybe you'll find someone to write you an addon for that struggle. :?

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#49 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:22 pm

fatelvis wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:52 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:25 pm [...] with a couple simple buttons pressed. [...]
Maybe you'll find someone to write you an addon for that struggle. :?
Sarcasm? I argued in favor of leaving NB alone, that's not a secret. If you're just having a snipe at me for my opinion on it, don't do that.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Sulorie

Post#50 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:25 pm

tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 pm
Sulorie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:40 pm
You are wrong.
As I've discovered. Guess you know that saying they have about assuming.

EDIT: Would've appreciated a why though instead of a YouTube comment style incorrect notification.
You are not the first one over the years with that wrong assumption. It's not like GW doesn't know about this server after many years, when all they have to do is use a search engine.
Dying is no option.