Recent Topics

Ads

Lions pelt - White Lion background story.

Feel like burning like a bright wizard? Being as green as a gobbo? Robust like an Ironbreaker? Bloodthirsty like a witch elf? Feel free to speak as them here.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Mystriss

Re: Lions pelt

Post#11 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm

zgolec wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:40 pm
Mystriss wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 pm I don't get on here as much as I'd like lately, my RL has been too busy :/

Anyway, I enjoyed your backstory and style. Not entirely sure lore supports WL telepathy, but you're not the first to go that route in WAR and likely won't be the last. I probably shouldn't talk anyway, I've use telepathy a la demonic possession myself :P
Nah telepathy is not mentioned precisely but "link" is mentioned in both some of the chracian lords and hoeth mages [here is more an arcane influence]... Nonetheless thank you very much for your kind words ^^
Aye, I wasn't really complaining or anything, just always find it interesting how individual RPers sort out the lore gaps. For some reason I guess I never thought of WLs as telepathic, not entirely sure why even, something to do with Wl's being the least magical of the elves or some such weak reasoning I suspect heh It certainly doesn't stop me from enjoying a story or some RP with telepathic WL's.

Anyway, let's see what my brain has on file; ... "The link between master and pet goes deep, allowing them to sense each other and react with unnerving coordination and speed." I see that as being from 2007... Some online article/write-up somewhere... Sp... Spo or maybe Spa something - I can't see the rest (I have a quirky memory; somewhat handy, but usually not good enough to be completely useful in life heh) Anyway, that's real close to when the WL was released by GW... or maybe it was when it was put into WAR:AOR... hmmm Different article/write up, but its of the same time frame, I see something about dragons being just a little too big for the online game so they went with WL... (OMG can you imagine battle mages on dragon pets in AoR... They'd be falling out of the sky because they tripped on clouds lolz)

Anyway, I actually don't think the lore matters as much as I suppose I maybe came off like there. I think all of us WAR RPers have to be "lore flexible." One of the downsides of WAR lore is the inconsistencies and missing details and information... Although perhaps it's not much of a downside, it gives us RPers freedom to create our own stories, artistic license is pretty great \o/ Perhaps I'm not as upset with the lore holes in WAR, as I'm a bit OCD and fretting about the "common" expectation that there wouldn't be holes... and perhaps I'm wrong about that complaint entirely. After all, WAR has been around since before I was born and even today, what almost five decades later, has its teeth in a new generation; clearly they are doing something right.

Hope that small wall of text translates well to your native language :P

Ads
zgolec

Post#12 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Mystriss wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm
Mystriss wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 pm I don't get on here as much as I'd like lately, my RL has been too busy :/

Anyway, I enjoyed your backstory and style. Not entirely sure lore supports WL telepathy, but you're not the first to go that route in WAR and likely won't be the last. I probably shouldn't talk anyway, I've use telepathy a la demonic possession myself :P
Nah telepathy is not mentioned precisely but "link" is mentioned in both some of the chracian lords and hoeth mages [here is more an arcane influence]... Nonetheless thank you very much for your kind words ^^
Aye, I wasn't really complaining or anything, just always find it interesting how individual RPers sort out the lore gaps. For some reason I guess I never thought of WLs as telepathic, not entirely sure why even, something to do with Wl's being the least magical of the elves or some such weak reasoning I suspect heh It certainly doesn't stop me from enjoying a story or some RP with telepathic WL's.

Anyway, let's see what my brain has on file; ... "The link between master and pet goes deep, allowing them to sense each other and react with unnerving coordination and speed." I see that as being from 2007... Some online article/write-up somewhere... Sp... Spo or maybe Spa something - I can't see the rest (I have a quirky memory; somewhat handy, but usually not good enough to be completely useful in life heh) Anyway, that's real close to when the WL was released by GW... or maybe it was when it was put into WAR:AOR... hmmm Different article/write up, but its of the same time frame, I see something about dragons being just a little too big for the online game so they went with WL... (OMG can you imagine battle mages on dragon pets in AoR... They'd be falling out of the sky because they tripped on clouds lolz)

Anyway, I actually don't think the lore matters as much as I suppose I maybe came off like there. I think all of us WAR RPers have to be "lore flexible." One of the downsides of WAR lore is the inconsistencies and missing details and information... Although perhaps it's not much of a downside, it gives us RPers freedom to create our own stories, artistic license is pretty great \o/ Perhaps I'm not as upset with the lore holes in WAR, as I'm a bit OCD and fretting about the "common" expectation that there wouldn't be holes... and perhaps I'm wrong about that complaint entirely. After all, WAR has been around since before I was born and even today, what almost five decades later, has its teeth in a new generation; clearly they are doing something right.

Not pure telepathy, as i tried on beginning - the flood of images, feelings etc, which "translate" into some "do this, two legs"... Holes in my vocabulary make itdifficult to explain :p I guess Robin Hobb in "The Farseer" trilogy was close to what i wanted to make here [Assassin’s Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin’s Quest if you didnt read i strongly reccomend this piece :) awesome raad].

As you pointed out lorewise we as players and gamemasters got many tools to fill the gaps and add somethin new if it was not mentioned ;) And yea - i played many rpg settings but i always back to WFR, it's unique, got "this something" that man wanna go deep into it over and over... [also i like how elves are in this world seen - many mistake them as usual old world dwellers and treat like any other ro settins, but truth is kinda different... Its nicely displayed in Gilead blood books :) ].

No need to use translate :) i can understand well your msg and i read in english [since theres many great books outta there that are not translated] but sometime i have problems to articulate all i have in mind ;)
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Theseus

Post#13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 pm

zgolec wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Not pure telepathy, as i tried on beginning - the flood of images, feelings etc, which "translate" into some "do this, two legs"... Holes in my vocabulary make itdifficult to explain :p I guess Robin Hobb in "The Farseer" trilogy was close to what i wanted to make here [Assassin’s Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin’s Quest if you didnt read i strongly reccomend this piece :) awesome raad].
Those books are great. I loved them.
Andyrion Ulthenair
Arphyrion Soulblade

Mystriss

Post#14 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 am

zgolec wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 pm
Mystriss wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm

As you pointed out lorewise we as players and gamemasters got many tools to fill the gaps and add somethin new if it was not mentioned ;) And yea - i played many rpg settings but i always back to WFR, it's unique, got "this something" that man wanna go deep into it over and over... [also i like how elves are in this world seen - many mistake them as usual old world dwellers and treat like any other ro settins, but truth is kinda different... Its nicely displayed in Gilead blood books :) ].

No need to use translate :) i can understand well your msg and i read in english [since theres many great books outta there that are not translated] but sometime i have problems to articulate all i have in mind ;)
Gotcha, that's actually closer to what I was thinking of for WLs myself. Can be tricky to display that kind of fine distinction when "missing words" Reading English books is a great way to fill those holes though! I am a Piers Anthony fanatic myself; I'm a glutton for the punishment of Xanth and the Incarnations of Immortality series was an instant classic. I own nearly every one of his books across all genres and enjoyed them all -- save perhaps Shade in the Tree which gave me rather freaky dreams for a few months - though that in itself is a testament to his talent as a writer none-the-less. I do wish the publishers hadn't pigeon holled him into Xanth alone, the mode and adept series were great blends of sci-fantasy and I couldn't get enough of them. Alas, the publishers are ogres and have limited tastes :/

Oh yes, lovely WAR elves! The gold standard for which I judge all depictions of elves. Tera is the only other one that did a decent job of them in recent memory. Almost all the other lore's lie about us, you know? Of course they do! For to admit the true nature of the elves is to admit the flaws of humans - and human's just can't handle that truth. History teaches that we were eradicated, some even say we never existed at all, and perhaps the worst affront, they would portray us as weak tree huggers in their misguided narcissism. We let them think it, allow them remain ignorant; the adversary forgotten is the hardest to compete against. ~offers a hurried and rather failed wink that crinkles some depth of crows feet at the points of both eyes~ I kid, of course...