Recent Topics

Ads

Postponed Warhammer game

Fan art? Some amazing artists in here.
RvR Videos? 6v6 fights? Show off your skills!
Looking to stream the game? We encourage it!
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
sotora

Re: Postponed Warhammer game

Post#21 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:51 pm

sotora wrote:
megadeath wrote: Actually F2P model is extremely profitable since computing became extremely cheap. Just look at World of Tanks. Or better look at World of Warships. Those guys peak at maybe 40k players online, yet not only roll out new content, but also develop a lot of new technologies.
1. How many F2P games are so succesful vs overall number of F2P games?

2. Continous developement of lobby pvp game is much cheaper and organisationally easier than for full fledged AAA MMORPG that has to deal with much wider range of issues and provide wider range of content. Besides World of Warships is bankrolled by WoT.

3. Those games you mentioned as succesful games are lobby instanced games exactly like final version of Eternal Crusade.
1. LoL, Hearthstone, Dota2, World of Tanks, PoE, TF2, Warframe, War Thunder. First ones that came to my head.

2. Session MMOs require less writing, but a lot more technical research. But there is a catch. Session MMOs are hosted on one server cluster unlike classic MMOs. Also session MMOs require everything to be calculated serverside, which is not the issue with classic MMOs

3. They're still MMOs
1. Yes few out of hundreads out there. Going like that you could say that P2P was succesful too cause you got few tites successful out of doznes/hundreads. Point is:
A. any reasonable business model can be succesful
B. F2P does not mean game will be successful
C. Gamers does not want to or cannot spend as much money as it's required to bankroll huge AAA MMORPGs anymore, at least for now.

2. Lobby online games need less money and time to make. Simple as that.

3. Only if all those online games like FIfa, Quake, Diablo, Call of Duty, Farmville, etc are MMOs too. Then all online multiplayer games are MMOs.

But whatever word you descirbe to call them. Saying that Planetside-like open pvp game will be succesful cause 15v15 instanced pvp game is succesful - not sure where is the point you're trying to make.

Ads
kweedko

Post#22 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:08 pm

sotora wrote: Both those universums are fantasy not modern/sc-fi.

Star Wars is basically traditional heroic fantasy story. Sure horses are named fighters, magic is named force and swords are glowing and making 'bzzzz' sound but it is fantasy. Knights, pricesses, big scary emperor and all that.

Now try to make TPP MMORPG game in a real world-like universum or "serious" sc-fi one. You had such tries like Firefall or Defiance. Fun combat system NOT.
So WH 40000 is sc-fi and Star Wars is not, okay.
Last edited by kweedko on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tesq

Post#23 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:22 pm

kweedko wrote:

Star Wars is basically traditional heroic fantasy story. Sure horses are named fighters, magic is named force and swords are glowing and making 'bzzzz' sound but it is fantasy. Knights, pricesses, big scary emperor and all that.

Now try to make TPP MMORPG game in a real world-like universum or "serious" sc-fi one. You had such tries like Firefall or Defiance. Fun combat system NOT.
So WH 40000 is sc-fi and Star Wars not okay.

HEREASY 40k is grimdark !!!!!!!!!!!! you're a heretic!!!!!!! expect inquisition soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sotora

Post#24 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:40 pm

kweedko wrote:

So WH 40000 is sc-fi and Star Wars is not, okay.
WH 40k is fantasy too, but in contrary to SW it has some actual sc-fi mixed in to appease "grimdarkers" and expand WH40k products.

GW is actually master of such dual approach and it used it Warhammer Fantasy too. i.e. tabletop miniatures were in some editions borderline cartoony and often made with humour and WFRP was preety grimdark. One of first companies dealing with fantasy&sci-fi products to use such 'dualism'.

kweedko

Post#25 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:25 pm

sotora wrote: WH 40k is fantasy too, but in contrary to SW it has some actual sc-fi mixed in to appease "grimdarkers" and expand WH40k products.

GW is actually master of such dual approach and it used it Warhammer Fantasy too. i.e. tabletop miniatures were in some editions borderline cartoony and often made with humour and WFRP was preety grimdark. One of first companies dealing with fantasy&sci-fi products to use such 'dualism'.
I still don't understand what WH got from sc-fi that SW have not.

megadeath

Post#26 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 pm

kweedko wrote:I still don't understand what WH got from sc-fi that SW have not.
sci-fi stands for SCIENCE FICTION. SW got absolutely zero science behind it. WH40K got pretty good amount of science behind it, fantasy science, but science nonetheless.
"I came, I saw, I ran away"
- Every order player ever

"My RvR experience improved by 100% after I spent 50 renown points in Improved Flee and Cleansing Wind!"
- Average order player

Sigimund

Post#27 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:24 pm

megadeath wrote:fantasy science, but science nonetheless.
Wat

megadeath

Post#28 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Sigimund wrote:
Wat
Like in-detail decryption of warp travel or demon engines.
"I came, I saw, I ran away"
- Every order player ever

"My RvR experience improved by 100% after I spent 50 renown points in Improved Flee and Cleansing Wind!"
- Average order player

Ads
sotora

Post#29 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:58 pm

Sigimund wrote:
Wat
What megadeath said. WH occasionally tries to posture to have some science behind it, with techno-talk and trying to be serious at times. Kinda like Star Trek.

SW is just tudutidudu heroic adventure of saving the world, pricesses in distress, knights fighting, etc Like all heroic fantasy novels.

kweedko

Post#30 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:03 am

sotora wrote:
Sigimund wrote:
Wat
What megadeath said. WH occasionally tries to posture to have some science behind it, with techno-talk and trying to be serious at times. Kinda like Star Trek.

SW is just tudutidudu heroic adventure of saving the world, pricesses in distress, knights fighting, etc Like all heroic fantasy novels.
Oh my, SW universe not only about jedi and force, lots of the games about SW slightly touch jedi theme like battlefront, or x-wing vs tie fighter series, and even force in this universe it's just symbiosis with bacterias. If we drop out jedi stuff form SW it still stay huge and detailed.