Recent Topics

Ads

Improving framerate in Warhammer Online

Ask for in-game support. Bugs go to the Bug Tracker.
Forum rules
READ THE STICKIED THREADS BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The answers you may seek are likely already there.

Thank you.
Caffeine

Re: Improving framerate in Warhammer Online

Post#11 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:38 pm

blaqwar wrote: - I don't see why you'd even want to toggle from windowed to fullscreen mode when running the game in windowed? Or am I missing something? Cause if you're not switching between the two then the drawback of corrupted textures and messed up UI isn't there. On my client the UI corrects itself even when switching with a key combination and /rel doesn't crash the game, is that dependant on the addon list?
Normally you wouldn't. I mention it to warn people who already know the key combination and might try to use it instead of the menu to change modes.
blaqwar wrote: - Minor point but SSDs do benefit from defragmenting. If you look up the defragmenting program in Win10 (Defrag) you will likely see that it has been optimizing your SSD (defragmenting). It works differently than defragmenting a HDD but it's still a similar concept. Just let Win10 handle it, unlike your privacy. :roll:
Defraggler gave me an explicit warning not to defrag mine so I passed the information along. I never upgraded to 10 myself so thanks for bringing this up.
VinyUI | FPS Guide | Scenario Alert | Image Caffeine Image Decaf Image Vermont Image Nevada

Ads
Elven
Former Staff

Post#12 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Don't attempt to defragment an SSD. If you find a way to be able to, you've **** up. SSDs don't "behave" in the same manner and mechanical hard drives.

So again, don't attempt to defragment them, you'll cause damage to them.

blaqwar

Post#13 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Elven wrote:Don't attempt to defragment an SSD. If you find a way to be able to, you've **** up. SSDs don't "behave" in the same manner and mechanical hard drives.

So again, don't attempt to defragment them, you'll cause damage to them.
Elven, I'm sorry but your comment comes across as you not having clicked the link I provided. I'm not advocating defragmenting an SSD with old tools. I'm merely stating that Windows (and tech people) still call it defragmenting when they're talking about optimising an SSD drive, so the old stigma of "OMG DON'T DEFRAG AN SSD" might actually lead to people turning automatic SSD optimisation off in Win10 cause of the name of the program (Defrag), when in reality it's actually helping the SSD run better by trimming old data.

I've seen forum posts on tech forums and blogs advocating turning off the scheduled Defrag SSD optimisation because of the same stigma and I believe it's counter-productive.

Scottx125

Post#14 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:44 pm

I found that in most cases its not your computer that's lagging behind, its the client. More specifically the crappy engine Warhammer online runs on. My best settings on a GTX 980ti, I7 4790k and 16GB ram was:
Environment:
Medium draw distance, grass, water reflection and splashes enabled.
Lighting:
Lightmaps and specular enabled, post processing disabled.
Effects:
Effect system detail on balanced and ability effects on warband only.
Miscellaneous:
Shadows and animation both on balanced.
GPU:
Texture memory cache maxed.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Loans

Post#15 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 pm

After i bought new pc i maxed all out plus with Sildur graphic mode and after 7 years finally i can play war without any lag problem. Recently i moved War into a SSD instead on old slow HD in order to boost the loading time

Telperien

Post#16 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:00 pm

Whats your spec Handriel?
Slacking (checking out EvE)

shaggyboomboom

Post#17 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:41 am

Try deleting the cache folders in RoR main directory. That improves FPS and load times.

coholic

Post#18 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:30 pm

I found using the hack on nvidia gpus to add ambient occlusion to WAR, adds an extra 10-20 fps. Not to mention, looks a lot more modern.

I've never tested why. My theory is that WAR is so cpu bound, that the hack offloads more to the gpu, or it could be it switches shader rendering methods.

Running max settings, i5 2500k and 980ti.

Ads
Caffeine

Post#19 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:32 pm

coholic wrote:I found using the hack on nvidia gpus to add ambient occlusion to WAR, adds an extra 10-20 fps. Not to mention, looks a lot more modern.

I've never tested why. My theory is that WAR is so cpu bound, that the hack offloads more to the gpu, or it could be it switches shader rendering methods.

Interesting find! Which quality setting do you use?
VinyUI | FPS Guide | Scenario Alert | Image Caffeine Image Decaf Image Vermont Image Nevada

blaqwar

Post#20 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:21 am

coholic wrote:I found using the hack on nvidia gpus to add ambient occlusion to WAR, adds an extra 10-20 fps. Not to mention, looks a lot more modern.

WAR is definitely heavily CPU bottlenecked, all the cores on my I7 6700k are almost maxed out with my 1070 underclocking itself to something like 1500 mHz (it goes up to 2060 in other games). And yet my FPS will hover around 20 in large keep sieges, I've been tinkering with the settings but nothing short of simply downgrading the graphics quality settings in game seems to help.