Patch Notes 28/05/2021

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Kaelang

Re: Patch Notes 28/05/2021

Post#491 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 pm

xyeppp wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:09 pm
Kaelang wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:15 pm
The NB block was done because the addon was managing two combat components flawlessly together. If there were addons to manage conditional (i.e flashing icons only) OR actions (keyboard programmable keys) separately it's likely there wouldn't be a huge issue with letting something like this run - it's when a singular addon can combine the two capabilities together the line gets crossed.
Yeah, no.
I hope you realise how stupid this sounds and how big of a precedent this potentially sets for other addons.

Just because an old promise has been delivered upon us and "we got to reap what we sow" (as I quote from discord) does not mean said decision cannot be reversed - I think asking for this proved to be a mistake and should be treated as such.

I don't think RoR is nor ever was in a position to do the kind of things that were/are being done for the health of the game and the benefit of the server.

While attributing population decrease to patches is not the correct thing, in most cases the patches change class mechanics which players will just get used to - this patch excludes a portion of the players and there is nothing they can do to play the game now.

We are a small game already - why gatekeep the population even further, especially for arbitrary reasons of "we said we're gonna do it"?
Not to mention people like me and others will continue trying to fix NB, ending up with private distributions you won't even know about.

In similar vein of RC thread comments - do you really need to reply with 10 pages explaining why something is a bad idea when it appears to be so?
I honestly could not care less with it being removed as I did not use it other than double health potting, but I do not think it is a good change overall.
Don't get me wrong - I hear you, as do the developers who made this change.

My post was to shine light to a member of the community who aired a valid reason for NB - benefitting their individual circumstances, i.e. those with disabilities who rely on such addons to streamline their game experience and allow them to experience things other members of the community take granted for doing so.

The problem lies where people take advantage of such addons to enhance their gameplay - changing an addon from being something to support an individuals means of playing and experiencing the game - to an addon that enhances a players ability levels by automating certain aspects of combat.

Your point is valid, NB has been a core part of RoR for a long time - and your question is also valid, i.e. 'why now?'. However I am not in a position to answer these questions as I personally did not implement the change. This is the reason I have personally kept away from the NB conversations and in my initial post highlighted I would only be addressing the individuals posts as he came at the change from a direction of accessibility which is something I felt worth in replying to.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Ads
tazdingo

Post#492 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:44 pm

if the end result of the NB ban is that only a small minority at the top have access to a secret version of it then that is a server killing situation. sorry to be so dramatic but it is

nonfactor

Post#493 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:08 pm

stop sending me pms to share the fix as i was specifically told not to do it. it takes a single snitch for it to get hotfixed, if youre in the right discord someone might share it with u

oaliaen

Post#494 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:42 pm

So ppl still using NB whit fixes.. Devs just do something or enable NB again. pls

steelblade93

Post#495 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:55 pm

Gridgendal wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:54 am I have a disability that makes the keyboard Olympics of normal keybinds almost impossible and at the very least painful or debilitating. I can't adapt to not having a sequencer. I'm physically not capable. I don't even care about conditionals, I need keybind consolidation. This NB blocking has put the last nail in the coffin of a game I love and have played here and live since prerelease. You can call it trying to level the playing field or whatever but it's still just discriminator to disabled players. I physically can't handle the number of keybinds required for some classes. What am I supposed to do? I can't adapt because of my disability I will physically hurt myself more. The only option I have as a disabled player is to just not play anymore until this is reverted or someone makes a sequencer that is allowed. I'm also quite aware that in order to break conditional checks the devs would have to break a very large percentage of all addons (any relying on buff/debuff info). So what's to be done at this point? I'm not gonna whine and throw a tantrum and leave. I want to continue to play this game but I see no solution.

By the way, NB was never broken on live because of people with disabilities like me. Conditionals were never broken on live because it would literally break most of the api for addons. The devs need to figure out a some way to make the game accessible for people with disabilities because this is like being banned for having a disability and it's stupid.

So I'm just gonna pop in to discord and chat with guildies and not log into the game until something has happened to resolve this. I can't play the game in it's current condition.
I have the exact same situation.
Hopefully somehting will be done that benefits EVERYONE.

Akalukz

Post#496 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:33 pm

nice, now we truly have the "haves" and "have nots" with the shadow NB going around. Instead of just the "want to use" and the "don't want to use" version.
-= Agony =-

Duukar

Post#497 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Kaelang wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 pm
Kaelang wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:15 pm
The NB block was done because the addon was managing two combat components flawlessly together. If there were addons to manage conditional (i.e flashing icons only) OR actions (keyboard programmable keys) separately it's likely there wouldn't be a huge issue with letting something like this run - it's when a singular addon can combine the two capabilities together the line gets crossed.
Yeah, no.
I hope you realise how stupid this sounds and how big of a precedent this potentially sets for other addons.

Just because an old promise has been delivered upon us and "we got to reap what we sow" (as I quote from discord) does not mean said decision cannot be reversed - I think asking for this proved to be a mistake and should be treated as such.

I don't think RoR is nor ever was in a position to do the kind of things that were/are being done for the health of the game and the benefit of the server.

While attributing population decrease to patches is not the correct thing, in most cases the patches change class mechanics which players will just get used to - this patch excludes a portion of the players and there is nothing they can do to play the game now.

We are a small game already - why gatekeep the population even further, especially for arbitrary reasons of "we said we're gonna do it"?
Not to mention people like me and others will continue trying to fix NB, ending up with private distributions you won't even know about.

In similar vein of RC thread comments - do you really need to reply with 10 pages explaining why something is a bad idea when it appears to be so?
I honestly could not care less with it being removed as I did not use it other than double health potting, but I do not think it is a good change overall.

My post was to shine light to a member of the community who aired a valid reason for NB - benefitting their individual circumstances, i.e. those with disabilities who rely on such addons to streamline their game experience and allow them to experience things other members of the community take granted for doing so.

The problem lies where people take advantage of such addons to enhance their gameplay - changing an addon from being something to support an individuals means of playing and experiencing the game - to an addon that enhances a players ability levels by automating certain aspects of combat.

Your point is valid, NB has been a core part of RoR for a long time - and your question is also valid, i.e. 'why now?'. However I am not in a position to answer these questions as I personally did not implement the change. This is the reason I have personally kept away from the NB conversations and in my initial post highlighted I would only be addressing the individuals posts as he came at the change from a direction of accessibility which is something I felt worth in replying to.
It would be REALLY nice if you could coax a Dev to come in here and talk to the disabled people they have cut off from the game. I hadn't even considered them before coming here and reading this. Its not good at all. They are no where to be found and people are hurting from this change.

It's one thing to say you hear them and care, and another entirely to do the right thing.

Onigokko0101

Post#498 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Duukar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeah, no.

It would be REALLY nice if you could coax a Dev to come in here and talk to the disabled people they have cut off from the game. I hadn't even considered them before coming here and reading this. Its not good at all. They are no where to be found and people are hurting from this change.

It's one thing to say you hear them and care, and another entirely to do the right thing.
Nobody is cut off from the game and who exactly as hurting?

This thread is one giant overreaction from people that somehow cant press more then two buttons.

Honestly, its embarrassing.

Furthermore, if its just about ability sequencing, why not use Plan B? That seems to be what everyone is pretending that they used it for, yet there is an option that can do the same thing, and yet people are still begging for NB back. Its almost like people were using it for way more then just sequencing.
Khrylashe - Zealot
Devarien - Blackguard
Bigdisc- Magus
Aendael - Warrior Priest
Nusku- Bright Wizard

Ads
marafado
Suspended

Post#499 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:18 pm

dont forget the cognitive disabilities, plan b dont fix that...guys dont think only in alll the players forced to play with they foot fingers.

Kaelang

Post#500 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:33 pm

Duukar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeah, no.

We are looking at alternate options to assist those with accessibility issues get back to playing RoR as they enjoy. I think you, and others, are missing the point. NB was used by a minority for accessibility, it was used enmass to gain an advantage which caused the addon to be required to remain competitive. Addons are there to support - they aren't there to enhance gameplay to the point that if you don't use them you're at a disadvantage.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.