Recent Topics

Ads

[deprecated] RoR Under Linux

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Zethra

Re: [Guide] RoR Under Linux

Post#71 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:56 pm

quimbydogg wrote:I just re-installed this onto a new linux system and wanted to share my steps:

1. Setup a new prefix (I used Playonlinux for this). Prefix should be Windows7 (not XP - the ROR launcher did not load with XP and I received wine errors). I used wine staging 2.19 (32bit).
2. After creating the prefix I used Playonlinux to install d3dx9 and dotnet4.0, also enabled CSMT since using wine staging.
3. I also installed the DX June 2010 redist from here (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109) into the new prefix.
I'm not positive if this step was needed because of the POL config but I had in my notes from an install a few months ago that this was important. I think this is needed if you see a black screen when you try to launch the game and no textures or really messed up textures.
4. Copy warhammer client + launcher into the new prefix (at one point you had to run the launcher and patch from a windows VM or dual boot before copying to linux, I'm not sure if that is still true - I just copied old game files I had. I think the key with this is just making sure you have a patched/updated data.myp file inside the prefix).
5. Setup a shortcut to run RORLauncher.exe from the client folder inside your new prefix.
6. Run the launcher and login. The launcher will give an error message after logging in but the client will start and connect to the server like normal. You can simply close the launcher/error message at that point.

Textures on char selection screen was all working normal. I logged into the game and ran around a bit to verify everything seemed to work. Can't say I've spent a lot of time inside the world since this but wanted to give my notes in case it helps anyone.
Thank you for these explanations ! It solved all my problems and the game starts now !
I just have to pass the game in French if possible and make the graphic adjustments ! Thank you very much! :)

EDIT :

I deleted my old post, the solution was on the forum.

I downloaded the game folder in French and installed it. The game starts but in " zoom mode ". My screen resolution, which is 1920*1080 normally, increases to 1440*900 each time.

Ads
sigz

Post#72 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 pm

What is the status for bright terrain texture ? no solution yet ?

sancra

Post#73 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello,

Try the new exe posted on the ROR main page, it has fixed all my issues using wine.

Regards

xpander
Community Management

Post#74 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:57 pm

just tested today again. That bright terrain texture is annoying. If that has some workaround or can be fixed it would be perfect
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

sancra

Post#75 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Have you tested:

- With wine-staging (2.20 because 2.21 does not work with RoR)
- With the new war.exe provided by the RoR about team two weeks ago ?

Regards

xpander
Community Management

Post#76 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:27 pm

sancra wrote:Have you tested:

- With wine-staging (2.20 because 2.21 does not work with RoR)
- With the new war.exe provided by the RoR about team two weeks ago ?

Regards
works for me with wine-staging 2.21 and latest files from RoR Download page.
i get some error when hitting connect on the launcher but it will still go into game

edit: last night when i played i did not notice the bright terrain anymore, i dunno if the new Launcher files did something or it was purely random that it was OK.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Amitrya

Post#77 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:07 am

In an effort to get around some of the C# + wine issues related to the launcher. I wrote a small command line launcher that will launch the game through wine on linux / mac. Should also work on windows, but I haven't got a windows machine at the moment.

Anyways, source is here. Should be fairly easy to build and customize if necessary.
https://github.com/SammyJames/ror_launch

Let me know if it breaks.

Radoc

Post#78 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Amitrya wrote:In an effort to get around some of the C# + wine issues related to the launcher. I wrote a small command line launcher that will launch the game through wine on linux / mac. Should also work on windows, but I haven't got a windows machine at the moment.

Anyways, source is here. Should be fairly easy to build and customize if necessary.
https://github.com/SammyJames/ror_launch

Let me know if it breaks.
Thank you, your cli launcher works great! Also nice to see it is written in Rust :)

Ads
Amitrya

Post#79 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:51 am

Radoc wrote:Thank you, your cli launcher works great! Also nice to see it is written in Rust :)
I've been trying to spend more and more time in rust, don't get much opportunity to use it at work.

sigz

Post#80 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:52 am

@Amitrya does your script handle having ror on a custom wine prefix ?