Recent Topics

Ads

Launcher CPU Utilization on Mac

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Delegator

Launcher CPU Utilization on Mac

Post#1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:15 pm

I run RoR on Mac OS using Crossover (WINE). I consistently see that the launcher uses 100% of a CPU core when it is up, whether I am connected to the game or not.

I can kill the launcher after connecting, and everything works fine -- so that's my workaround, and it's what I regularly do. However, I'm just wondering what the launcher might be doing that is consuming that much CPU time while the launcher essentially sits there. Is there any way to turn on tracing or diagnostics to see what it is doing? My sense is that this is specific to running under WINE, and nothing shows up in the system events log. There is no disk or network activity associated with the high CPU utilization, either. I'd just like to see whether there is something I can take to Codeweavers and point to perhaps a DirectX API implementation they have that is causing the CPU to spin or something like that.

So anyway, if there is tracing or debug information I can enable on the launcher, please let me know. Thanks!

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Re: Launcher CPU Utilization on Mac

Post#2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:43 pm

probably just some bug in crossover. which i think should be reported to them.
doesnt seem to happen with wine+linux, so its probably just on the crossover side.

launcher is .NET4 so i guess something there is a bit messed
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Delegator

Post#3 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Yes, I'd like to report it, but because RoR isn't on th eofficially supported list, I'd like to create a well formed bug with what it's going. It could be Crossover, or it could be the MacOS vs Linux difference. Or maybe something in the way I've configured Crossover, installed the bottle, etc.

xpander
Community Management

Post#4 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:11 pm

im not familiar with crossover myself, but i bet it has a place where you enable debugging output, and when running then it should generate some sort of log about its issues. Might want to look into that
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Cultist

Post#5 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:41 am

I experienced the same behavour under Win7 on a old PC. Just closing the launcher solved the issue and I couldn't trace where the problem lay. And indeed on Linux this is not a problem. Currently on Arch with a 2016's PC.

MaxHayman
Management

Post#6 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 am

Does the launcher flicker for you under Crossover. It does for me but I didn't notice anything CPU usage wise.
Max Hayman

Delegator

Post#7 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:17 am

It does flicker for me in Crossover. And even if it says "Finalizing...99%" you can connect just fine.