Recent Topics

Ads

Game doesn't launch, just gives a black screen

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Kraggaw

Game doesn't launch, just gives a black screen

Post#1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 am

Hi,

I have followed the installation instructions carefully and I am getting an issue where when I launch the game through the launcher, it just shows a black screen and nothing happens. I have to close with Task Manager.

I am using Windows 10 and have put the folder as an exception in my anti virus. I have also set the folder and sub as not read only. The launcher appears to be all working correctly and downloaded the updates required fine. I have ran repair a few times and tried running in 64 and 32 bit modes.

Whatever I try the results are the same, black screen shows quickly after clicking connect on the launcher, no error messages are give.

I use 2 4k monitors and wonder if it could be something to do with resolution but I have set my main monitor to 1920x1080 resolution and I still got the exact same results.

Any help much appreciated, thank you!

Ads
Lilim
Community Management

Re: Game doesn't launch, just gives a black screen

Post#2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:45 am

Spoiler:
Kraggaw wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 am Hi,

I have followed the installation instructions carefully and I am getting an issue where when I launch the game through the launcher, it just shows a black screen and nothing happens. I have to close with Task Manager.

I am using Windows 10 and have put the folder as an exception in my anti virus. I have also set the folder and sub as not read only. The launcher appears to be all working correctly and downloaded the updates required fine. I have ran repair a few times and tried running in 64 and 32 bit modes.

Whatever I try the results are the same, black screen shows quickly after clicking connect on the launcher, no error messages are give.

I use 2 4k monitors and wonder if it could be something to do with resolution but I have set my main monitor to 1920x1080 resolution and I still got the exact same results.

Any help much appreciated, thank you!
Hey,

try to play in windowed mode:
go to: your RoR game folder > user > and open the UserSettings.xml with an editor

• search for the marked line (line 4 or so)
  • and change it to:

Code: Select all

<Mode window_frame="true" fullscreen="false" />
  • save the file
  • and start your game again

Kraggaw

Post#3 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:50 am

Hi!

Thank you so much for your quick reply. That worked, it's running great, much appreciated.

Nogni

Post#4 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:40 pm

Good evening guys,

I seem to have the same problem with the black screen.

Only thing is, i can not find a folder in the map with "user" or with UserSettings.xml

How is that possible?

xpander
Community Management

Post#5 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:08 am

Nogni wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:40 pm Good evening guys,

I seem to have the same problem with the black screen.

Only thing is, i can not find a folder in the map with "user" or with UserSettings.xml

How is that possible?
Probably because you haven't done the the permissions correctly and it can't create those files/folders
move your RoR folder out from Program Files if you have it there. To direcly onto C, D or whatever drive.
Right click, properties and untick read only and apply it for all files and folders.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos