Recent Topics

Ads

[Mac OS] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
staticgerbil

Re: [Mac OS] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Post#31 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:05 am

Great looking guide!

I wish I had have seen this a long time ago, last time I tried (well before Big Sur) I couldn't get anything working but WINE was stuck in the very early days of running 32bit code on 64bit only Mac.

I just thought I'd mention that today (before seeing this thread) I got Return of Reckoning running with Play On Mac 4.4.3.
So for anyone without CrossOver, there is a free alternative that seems to be working in some capacity.
I haven't actually played the game yet to test all functionality and performance but nothing stands out as broken in the first few minutes.

Ads
staticgerbil

Post#32 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:13 am

Hey Delegator, I have the same Mac as you and I am finding that I get regular stalls while playing, kind of like a frame or two are missed.

I have tried using CrossOver and regular WINE and both had the same result. I've tried various settings like esync and perhaps some things made it better but honestly it's hard to judge without recording some videos to compare, either way, I wasn't able to clear the issue up 100%.

Running some diagnostic tools, on Ooooh Shiny I am typically getting ~90 FPS and when I notice the stutter the frame rate is still > 70 FPS but it does noticeably drop.
My CPU usage also appears constantly quite low.
I get the same issue if I drop the settings to Fastest Framerate settings.

I'm just wondering if you have experienced anything similar given you have the same spec Mac as I do?

I need to investigate further when I have time, perhaps it's disk related rather than ram / cpu / gpu.

I do have bootcamp set up and RoR seems to be stutter free on Windows on the same machine, however I am only on Windows when I really have to and would prefer to run on Mac if possible.

Thanks for any thoughts you (or anyone) may have.

staticgerbil

Post#33 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:37 am

For anyone interested I did a little bit of testing last night.

I fired up Guild Wars 1, WoW: Wrath and WoW: MoP with WINE to see how they performed, figuring they are similar vintage MMORPGs and I had them ready to go.
All of these ran smoothly for me so I fired up Activity Monitor and some Xcode debugging tools to investigate.

Other than RoR using up a couple hundred more MB of ram than any of those everything seemed pretty similar. No noticeable spikes on gpu, cpu, network, disk for any of the games.
Similar cpu and gpu graphs, similar number of threads running.

Then at the end I did what I should have done from the start and checked the WINE logs :(

As best I could tell while trying to watch the game and the logs at the same time, I think when I was seeing my stalls I was also getting logs like this...

0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Info log received from GLSL shader #1012:
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log WARNING: Output of vertex shader 'ffp_varying_fogcoord' not read by fragment shader
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log WARNING: Output of vertex shader 'ffp_varying_specular' not read by fragment shader
0238:fixme:seh:NtQueryInformationThread ThreadIsIoPending info class not supported yet
023c:fixme:seh:NtQueryInformationThread ThreadIsIoPending info class not supported yet
0140:fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 Returning stub validator 67C9D028.
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Info log received from GLSL shader #1014:
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log WARNING: 0:6: extension 'GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object' is not supported
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log WARNING: 0:8: extension 'GL_EXT_texture_array' is not supported
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log WARNING: 0:10: extension 'GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions' is not supported
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Info log received from GLSL shader #1015:
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log WARNING: Output of vertex shader 'ffp_varying_fogcoord' not read by fragment shader
0198:fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log WARNING: Output of vertex shader 'ffp_varying_specular' not read by fragment shader

so I'll try to see what I can do about the shaders and hopefully I can get a nice smooth RoR experience on Mac :)

gyps

Post#34 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:59 pm

Did anyone tried Crossover 21 + M1 + Macos Monterey?

gyps

Post#35 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 am

gyps wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:59 pm Did anyone tried Crossover 21 + M1 + Macos Monterey?
Self-replying here I did install the game under crossover 21 + Monterey on a Macbook Air M1 8gb 8GPU cores, didn't test much but will do during the next week.

As a matter of fact I've got to follow the instructions but I did download the whole game from Torrent once it was installed and then copied everything into the Crossover folder.

The login screen is flickering for some reason trying to finalize the install process but you manage to click the login button and everything works fine.

Sointu

Post#36 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:00 pm

I still get a lot of freezes and crashes on daily basis. yesterday alone got 7 crashes during a single fort.

I've done pretty much everything suggested in this thread and nothing seems to really help. Also tried running the game without any addons and that didn't help either.

There seems to be no clear single cause for the crashes.
- Game freezes on loading screen -> have to force shutdown game.
- Game freezes in IC / Altdorf ( seems that turning camera too fast somehow triggers this ) -> have to force shutdown game.
- Game just freezes on completely random suddenly
- A lot of players on single zone -> game freezes or plain crashes. Sometimes throws error(s) without clear error code.
- Sometimes throws error that read something like "lost connection to server or was kicked out by GM.."

My setup shouldn't be the problem:
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2,3 GHz 8core intel I9
32 Gt 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, 4 Gt

I'm using newest version of crossover with newest version of Big Sur.

If anyone has ANY ideas what might help, please do share. I've reinstalled the game 5+ times, ran the repair from launcher. Toyed around with different bottles and so on.

Lilim
Community Management

Post#37 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Sointu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:00 pm I still get a lot of freezes and crashes on daily basis. yesterday alone got 7 crashes during a single fort.

I've done pretty much everything suggested in this thread and nothing seems to really help. Also tried running the game without any addons and that didn't help either.

- Game freezes in IC / Altdorf ( seems that turning camera too fast somehow triggers this ) -> have to force shutdown game.
- A lot of players on single zone -> game freezes or plain crashes. Sometimes throws error(s) without clear error code.
- Sometimes throws error that read something like "lost connection to server or was kicked out by GM.."

2,3 GHz 8core intel I9
32 Gt 2667 MHz DDR4

If anyone has ANY ideas what might help, please do share. I've reinstalled the game 5+ times, ran the repair from launcher. Toyed around with different bottles and so on.
Hey,

It could be still some corrupt files....but im not into the mac issue things, but it's just a general idea.
Just post a picture of your RoR folder similar to my example. I need the column with the size of your files:

gyps

Post#38 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Sointu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:00 pm I still get a lot of freezes and crashes on daily basis. yesterday alone got 7 crashes during a single fort.

2,3 GHz 8core intel I9
32 Gt 2667 MHz DDR4

I fortunately didn't suffer your freezes, even if the game slows down during mid-heavy rvr and even in scs, and seems like it takes time to buffer everything, but again my circustances are quite different from yours being under a M1 chip which works completely different.

If you are under intel mac why don't you install windows 64 bits with bootcamp?? its for sure going to work better and your machine must be pretty compatible with everything under windows.

I've add under "regedit" the following keys as I was not completely sure if Crossover will detect the M1 Ram as VRam
REG_DWORD. CSMT. 1
REG_DWORD. Samplecount 1
REG_SZ. VideoMemorySize 5140

Ads
Sointu

Post#39 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:49 am

Lilim wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:06 pm

2,3 GHz 8core intel I9
32 Gt 2667 MHz DDR4

Hey,

It could be still some corrupt files....but im not into the mac issue things, but it's just a general idea.
Just post a picture of your RoR folder similar to my example. I need the column with the size of your files:

Here is my folder. I actually ran similar issues while playing the game with linux and with windows.
Spoiler:
Necropolis | Nekropolis

Sointu

Post#40 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 am

gyps wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:46 pm

2,3 GHz 8core intel I9
32 Gt 2667 MHz DDR4

I fortunately didn't suffer your freezes, even if the game slows down during mid-heavy rvr and even in scs, and seems like it takes time to buffer everything, but again my circustances are quite different from yours being under a M1 chip which works completely different.

If you are under intel mac why don't you install windows 64 bits with bootcamp?? its for sure going to work better and your machine must be pretty compatible with everything under windows.

I've add under "regedit" the following keys as I was not completely sure if Crossover will detect the M1 Ram as VRam
REG_DWORD. CSMT. 1
REG_DWORD. Samplecount 1
REG_SZ. VideoMemorySize 5140
Hi!

I am aware of bootcamp but it's not really an option. Thanks for the suggestion thought. Just upgraded Big Sur to Monterey, gotta see if this has some effect.
Necropolis | Nekropolis