Recent Topics

Ads

Black Character Screen

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
lennertkip

Black Character Screen

Post#1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Hello there!

So my friend wants to play this game with me but since yesterday we've been having a bug from the start where he can see the buttons like "Create" "Cinematic" etc but the area where we are supposed to see the characters is just black. He can even click on create and by random chance even select a race, class and make the character.

We tried logging in to see what happens but that just bugs out.

We've tried A LOT by now, such as: repair, change to 32-bit, delete some files and let it redownload, sent some of my own files to him to replace his that could possibly cause the issue (like the data.myp), played a bit with ingame settings (windowed mode, change resolution, turn off shaders...), tried to manually download and add the d3dx9_34.dll file, a full clean redownload via the torrent and a few things I probably forgot by now. Also did the Read-only thing otherwise he wouldn't have been able to launch it in the first place.

None of it worked. :/ He also sometimes has sound and sometimes he doesn't, not sure what's up with that but I'm sure if the graphic issue is fixed, this might be too.

https://imgur.com/a/rOsRc2A (Added a link to what we see as character screen. Uploading an image here didn't seem to work.)

Edit: we also updated his GPU drivers today, still no change.

Ads
lennertkip

Re: Black Character Screen

Post#2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:35 pm

A small update as now we really narrowed it down for it to be something his computer is doing (or not doing) to cause this issue.

So we also tried with no anti-virus or anything activated: nothing. Then I also transfered my own files, which work perfectly fine, onto his PC with an USB stick and STILL nothing.

It's quite clear now that it's something to do with his computer and it's way more powerful than is needed to play this game.

So my question is: does anyone know of any program or missing file or whatever that can cause this?

Thank you for everyone who is trying to help us solve this!

PS: I replied instead of editing to bump my post up again in the hopes that someone who saw it before might now know of a possible fix! Don't want to come over as pushy or something!

ktomais

Post#3 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm

I have had the same issue since 2018. The thing that weirdly worked for me for a while was creating a new local account on Windows and playing the game through that. I link you to my original and subsequent threads, in case you find something of use, or maybe you're able to fix it. However, for me, no permanent solution has been found.

1) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26494 (mind the red text but try anyways)
2) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36006&p=395154#p395154

I have raised the subject with the lead for bugs, as this does not seem to fall into the category of your typical "fumbled the installation" issue, but haven't heard anything. Maybe if you have enough data you can submit the issue in Github.

https://github.com/WarEmu/WarBugs/issues

Out of curiosity, what hardware is your friend running?

If you manage to get it fixed I'd be curious to hear what did it.

lennertkip

Post#4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it with him when he's up for it (might not be soon cause I think he's a bit sick of trying. :/). Kinda sucks that you STILL have this issue.

I don't know his setup out of my head but it's an nvidia GTX 1060 3GB I believe.. nvidia GTX is the part I'm 100% sure about which might be the issue it's related to.. I also believe his CPU is an intel i7-something.

If we do manage to fix it (with your fix or another) I'll be sure to post it here as I understand how frustrating this issue is!