Recent Topics

Ads

Original CD still good install copy to use?

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Nitemayr

Original CD still good install copy to use?

Post#1 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 pm

Hello im a new player (returning from official years ago but didnt play long back then)
Im curious if instead of downloading the client, is my original CD version of the game still the right version of the game to install?

Ads
kayin

Re: Original CD still good install copy to use?

Post#2 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:56 pm

No do not use your original as alot of things have been changed from the original and it would not work. You can find the download options under the join us or by going to the support threads.

phononHYPE

Post#3 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:55 pm

My understanding (and I can't provide sources) is that no, it is not a reliable course for the current code. I believe that nearly all of the current code is from-scratch made after looking at old code, vids, screenshots etc. Additionally, the number of changes from Live are significant, so again, an original CD is not a good place to start. This is anecdotal from reading various other posts over the past months/year.

As an aside, downloading and installing only takes a day or two. I am in the midst of redoing this on a new OS and the set-up was done in less than 2 hours. That was me not sitting at the computer the whole time so perhaps can be done faster. Now I wait for the Patcher to update files, and I'm at about 15k/17k worth and it took about 24 hours. Your times may vary significantly here, I have an old computer and average provider speed for my internet.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Glorian

Post#4 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 am

Nitemayr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 pm Hello im a new player (returning from official years ago but didnt play long back then)
Im curious if instead of downloading the client, is my original CD version of the game still the right version of the game to install?
You have a CD-ROM drive on your PC?

dalen
Developer

Post#5 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 am

You could probably take the original install, put the launcher in it and hit the repair button and let it download the changes since then. Haven't tested it, but it _should_ work.
Source Developer

Sulorie

Post#6 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:13 pm

The install disc doesn't even provide live patch 4.8, so a lot has to be replaced anyway. Additionally the development of this server replaced even more files. Not worth IMO. Better load the torrent.

This way you get a fine stock of addons as well.
Dying is no option.

Tzoukina

Post#7 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:04 am

dalen wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 am You could probably take the original install, put the launcher in it and hit the repair button and let it download the changes since then. Haven't tested it, but it _should_ work.
It actually worked!!!It was my last resort after trying to install it following the steps from the installation guide and couldnt figure out which step i was missing and it always showed me i have to download 170k files and took forever...I installed the game via the original cds and then i just downloaded the launcher,moved it in the warhammer folder and hitted repair..It had to downoad smthing like 50k files and that took 6-7hours to download and i was ready to hop in in the game!!! :D
Praise Sigmar i found this comment the time i was about to quit trying!!!Thank you!!! :)

SurelyNotAlpharius

Post#8 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:12 am

Glorian wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 am You have a CD-ROM drive on your PC?
Right?!

Ads