Recent Topics

Ads

[Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
dargonax

Re: RoR under Linux

Post#181 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 pm

xpander wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:04 am Try switching to windows 7 from winecfg instead of 10.
also i would suggest using older wine. 6.3+ have loads of weird issues right now

edit:

that wine error doesnt tell too much

Code: Select all

0xf33b5ea7: movl	0xb4(%eax),%ebx
that i think is related to some memory problems. Do you run out of RAM/VRAM?

edit2: as for doesn't have repair option. try replacing the old launcher with this: http://launcher.returnofreckoning.com/RoRLauncher.exe
I tried this but even using Wine 5.7 as it was originally set up I had issues with crashes. I think when I first installed the game I tried the VinyUI that came from the torrent download (made a backup of Interface/User before) but thought it was too much and restored the backup. I think most addons from VinyUI worked back then.

What I'm doing now is I have my addons set up on one character and then on my other characters I use "Switch profile" in Interface/AddOn options to use the same setup, could this cause any issues? All the settings are saved in one of the character folders in the user folder.

Here's another crash, only posting the first few lines:

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x000000b4 in 32-bit code (0xf3174ea7).
Register dump:
 CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
 EIP:f3174ea7 ESP:0588adf0 EBP:00000005 EFLAGS:00010206(  R- --  I   - -P- )
 EAX:00000000 EBX:8d6ccd70 ECX:00000000 EDX:00000008
 ESI:f33635b0 EDI:00000000
Stack dump:
0x0588adf0:  f30401a0 97846a48 8d6ccd70 e4400018
0x0588ae00:  8d6ccd70 ffffffb4 00000002 f7cc31be
0x0588ae10:  00000000 00000050 00044b88 5d17b500
0x0588ae20:  97846a60 97846a48 f7cc315d 8d6ccd70
0x0588ae30:  f33635b0 00000000 00000005 f2f13b5f
0x0588ae40:  8d6ccd70 00000004 6265df00 0588af14
Backtrace:
=>0 0xf3174ea7 (0x00000005)
0xf3174ea7: movl	0xb4(%eax),%ebx
Looks like the reason for crash is the same as in the previous crash log (page fault on read access to 0x000000b4 in 32-bit code). I checked my ram/vram usage, ram was usually below 5 gb and vram below 1.5 gb, which is not much considering my system specs. I'm now using Wine 6.0 instead of 6.4.

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Post#182 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 pm

dargonax wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 pm. I checked my ram/vram usage, ram was usually below 5 gb and vram below 1.5 gb, which is not much considering my system specs. I'm now using Wine 6.0 instead of 6.4.
RAM was below 5? for RoR or overall?
Cause RoR is 32bit with LAA patched and afaik it cant use more than 4GB. so if it was above 4GB no wonder it crashes.

The addon profile sharing shouldn't cause this. The only addon i know that causes runtime issues is NerfedButtons. Never used it myself, but if you are using that, this might be the problem.

edit: just in case you can try WINE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE=1 environment variable. I'm not sure if its patched to lutris wine builds but it should be in the 6.x version staging at least
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Cultist

Post#183 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Strangely I upgraded my system and RoR crashes with a similar or the same error as dragonax is having.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 000000B4 at address F6CE3187 (thread 0310)
I've tried lutris-6.4, 6.0, 5.7 and 5.2. No dice.

any ideas?

xpander
Community Management

Post#184 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:06 pm

tried with WINE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE=1 ?
those errors don't tell much but usually are caused by running out of memory of some CPU threading ****.
So yeah i have no idea.. still haven't experienced those myself
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

Cultist

Post#185 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:16 pm

xpander wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:06 pm tried with WINE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE=1 ?
those errors don't tell much but usually are caused by running out of memory of some CPU threading ****.
So yeah i have no idea.. still haven't experienced those myself
It's strange because it only happens when I cast "Shattered shadows" on my Sorcerer. Rest of skills work just fine.
Yeah, I tried adding that variable and launching lutris w/ debugger (lutris -d) throws that error but the variable is caught well.

I don't know what can be messing around to be honest, I have 32GB RAM and AMD CPU/GPU on this rig (2600x // rx590).

xpander
Community Management

Post#186 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Only that one char?

Just tested with my sorc... no issues when using Shattered Shadows.
That is bizarre...maybe your character is broken somehow or maybe its some effect that your GPU drivers dont like. Maybe try installing older DXVK version? on Lutris you can do that with winetricks and choosing say dxvk170 for example

edit: or try without DXVK to see if thats the case... you can check under troubleshooting on the first post, how to disable DXVK (The lutris DXVK option doesnt work, cause we have workaround for launcher enabled)
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

Cultist

Post#187 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:48 pm

xpander wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm Only that one char?

That is bizarre...maybe your character is broken somehow or maybe its some effect that your GPU drivers dont like. Maybe try installing older DXVK version? on Lutris you can do that with winetricks and choosing say dxvk170 for example

edit: or try without DXVK to see if thats the case... you can check under troubleshooting on the first post, how to disable DXVK (The lutris DXVK option doesnt work, cause we have workaround for launcher enabled)
Yes, I also disabled DXVK completely with no luck at all (same crash) and it only happens on that char. I have yet to test on another toon with long cast times (>=3s) like a Magus. I'll give a shot to another version of DXVK, I hate Windows and love this game, I gotta find a workaround. Been thinking of installing another kind of distro like SuSE which seems to be more stable than Arch.

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#188 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Cultist wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:48 pm
xpander wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm Only that one char?

Yes, I also disabled DXVK completely with no luck at all (same crash) and it only happens on that char. I have yet to test on another toon with long cast times (>=3s) like a Magus. I'll give a shot to another version of DXVK, I hate Windows and love this game, I gotta find a workaround. Been thinking of installing another kind of distro like SuSE which seems to be more stable than Arch.
While Arch has a stigma of being unstable personally I have had a rock solid experience with Arch and a lot of unstable stuff on ubuntu (distro that I have to use at work sadly). Its mostly down to configuration as Arch is not unstable on its own. That being said you should ofc find a distro that you enjoy most. :D

EDIT: I had some crashes with RoR on some specific spells (never figured out which as it was not my casts but always in close proximity to a sorc,at least I think it was sorc. Cant remember anymore) which was solved when I switched runner.

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Post#189 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:23 pm

You both have AMD GPU right?
Thats the only thing i can think of... i never seen the game crash on me. And i have played this game since the end of 2019 started with wine 5.0 and currently using wine 6.5 (staging)... haven't tried later ones yet.
i do not use ESYNC though but FSYNC.. and currently even using FSYNC2 (FUTEX2) both of the FSYNC need spcial patched wine and kernel.

Im using the https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git
patched with futex2 and also his kernel https://github.com/Frogging-Family/linux-tkg also futex2 built... but i doubt that will make difference.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#190 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:02 am

xpander wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:23 pm You both have AMD GPU right?
Thats the only thing i can think of... i never seen the game crash on me. And i have played this game since the end of 2019 started with wine 5.0 and currently using wine 6.5 (staging)... haven't tried later ones yet.
i do not use ESYNC though but FSYNC.. and currently even using FSYNC2 (FUTEX2) both of the FSYNC need spcial patched wine and kernel.

Im using the https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git
patched with futex2 and also his kernel https://github.com/Frogging-Family/linux-tkg also futex2 built... but i doubt that will make difference.
Correct, I have an AMD GPU. To add to the story a bit, my issues started happening exactly when a patch for RoR came, but as I stated another runner made it work. Im not at my main computer right now so I cant say what runner or settings I use currently but I think it is what you recommended last xpander :) . But yeah the issue is gone for me now and the game runs smooth.