Recent Topics

Ads

Antivirus thinks RoR is a Bitcoin miner

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Takkun

Antivirus thinks RoR is a Bitcoin miner

Post#1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm

Malwarebytes just started saying that RoR is a bitcoin miner. Anyone else see this?

Ads
Luuca

Re: Antivirus thinks RoR is a Bitcoin miner

Post#2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm

THAT explains A LOT

courtsdad1

Post#3 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Did you get a response about this issue. Just happened to me as well.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 pm

I thought we were a generic trojan. Guess we're moving up in the world.

This is a generic detection flag, these are handed out to unknown processes. To verify for yourself what the launcher is doing, here's some stuff.

1. Open task manager, go to Performance tab, click Resource Monitor
- Find the RoRLauncher.exe file, and check the CPU usage and Thread count. Tick the box and your Disk and Network sections will be filtered by that process.
- On my machine with the launcher open, there's 16-18 threads, and no disk or network activity when it's idle.
- If you scroll up and down the news section, you'll get a little bit of disk activity as it loads in some DLL's that the launcher uses to display stuff. If you let it sit for a little while, they unload themselves, and activity goes back to nothing.
- Click connect on the launcher, go back to Resource Monitor, and you'll see a couple more things load up under Disk activity. After about 20s these files are no longer needed and go back to doing nothing. Once the game is running, the launcher also goes back to 0 CPU usage.

That's all the Launcher does in the background. Once the game is running, you're not going to see any activity from it. You can close the launcher and the game still runs fine. It's just used for connecting to the server or showing you some news, then it goes idle again.

That would make for a pretty crappy bitcoin mining tool.

Why do we get flagged for stuff like this? Dunno, but it happens all the time to relatively unknown software. Could we get Malwarebytes and other antivirus companies to whitelist us? Probably, but they might want some money for it.

If you're paranoid, feel free to watch it doing a whole lot of nothing. If you trust us and want to play, just whitelist it in your various security tools, because I don't see us paying anyone to put us on a whitelist in the near future.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

MaxHayman
Management

Post#5 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Received this reply.
Hello Max,
I have asked the researchers to check this file and I have been told that this block will be lifted. Please give it an hour or so for the update to go through.

I would like you to update the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware database and then try to access the file you were getting the block from once more and let me know if you still receive the block.

Open Malwarebytes
Click on Dashboard on the left
Next to updates click where it says "Current"​
Max Hayman

Metras

Post#6 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Hey,

i downloaded the newest update of the Malwarebytes-Database today and tested it.

Result: It stills shows that RoR is a bitcoin miner.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#7 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Easy solution: uninstall malwarebytes :^)

Darks63

Post#8 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:16 am

Having a similar issue using Avast anti virus.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Ads
normanis

Post#9 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:31 am

my avast/avg think ror. launcher and 32/64 bit exes are trojans. ( even i make exeptions for tham) . only way to play ror is disable antivirus launch ror.launcher. and than enable again antivirus.
p.s i even send as email to tham its false report, byt seems. they didnt received.
have no idea why it is like that never been such thing in my lifetime. antivirus make exe file trojan byt dont remove it to carantine. most of time if antivirus found trojans/viruses they are moved to karantine without mercy. byt ror exe just stay and any time u click it it trojan byt exe stay where he is ( not in karantine)
"Iron Within, Iron Without!"

Rydiak

Post#10 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:00 pm

You didn't happen to notice this was a three-year old thread, did you?

Well now he deleted the post, so I look like an idiot.
Last edited by Rydiak on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!