Recent Topics

Ads

CPU Best suited for ROR!

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Stophy22

CPU Best suited for ROR!

Post#1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:19 am

As the title says I've come to the recent realization that I Actually might be able to afford my dream PC. For the very few but probably none of you that know I used to stream this game pretty regularly. This was cut off because it was the choice between laggy gameplay and laggy stream or decent gameplay and no stream. After months of choosing the former I eventually fell to the latter. I'm sorry. But with recent busting my ass at work, cool financing options, and very knowledgeable people in my life I've come to be able to purchase the following

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 3.8GHz 12-core processor
MOTHERBOARD: ROG Crosshair Vii Hero
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio 8gb GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0
CPU COOLOER: Corsair - H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
PSU: Thermaltake rgb850w
HD: 970 evo plus nvme 1TB
CASE: Thermaltake core p3 atx
RAM: 32gb trident z royal (3200hz) (2x8)

And so I wanted to ask other knowledgable people who aren't in my life but are floating around it, how well would this setup run war?

Without getting into it I've heard talk of how war was a weird game with its code and it doesn't utilize new CPU's cores or something like that (very summarized version) I just wanted the opinion of more knowledgeable people than myself If they think im making the correct choice or if I should do some serious reconsidering. I've been pounding my head into a wall for months and I was originally going to go with a i9-9900k from intel but decided on Ryzen 9 with them just coming out. 24threads vs 16threads I thought would suite me better for a streamer, and the rest of it is just an upgrade from what I currently have which struggles deeply with streaming and any Orvr in ROR

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte - GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
GPU: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB GAMING X 3G Video Card
CPU COOLER: Intel - BXTS13X 74 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
PSU: Rosewill - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda ES.2 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
CASE: DIYPC - Gamestorm ATX Mid Tower Case
RAM: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

In short I just wanna be able to play my main games: Wow, Ror, Playerunknown, and various other games that my current setup doesn't allow while OBS is streaming it. Thoughts and comments appreciated!
[2 Weeks]/[Definitely Not Heretics]
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x

Ads
Sulorie

Re: CPU Best suited for ROR!

Post#2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:40 am

The Ryzen 9 3900x isn't faster in games than the i9-9900k. On FullHD it is slower and on 1440p or 4k it is slightly slower or similar as the GPU becomes the limiting factor.
While streaming, the Intel is surprisingly faster too.
Cons for Intel are much higher power consumption and a vastly lower performance in non-gaming-applications, where the lower core count is very noticeable.

Personally I opt for a 3700x next year, before Cyberpunk is released and RTX GPUs might be a bit cheaper than nowadays.
Dying is no option.

Stophy22

Post#3 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 am

Sulorie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:40 am The Ryzen 9 3900x isn't faster in games than the i9-9900k. On FullHD it is slower and on 1440p or 4k it is slightly slower or similar as the GPU becomes the limiting factor.
Cons for Intel are much higher power consumption and a vastly lower performance in non-gaming-applications, where the lower core count is very noticeable.

Personally I opt for a 3700x next year, before Cyberpunk is released and RTX GPUs might be a bit cheaper than nowadays.
Personally I don't need it to be faster in games than the i9-9900k I need the multitasking that more threads offers which is why I am thinking of going with a new gen Ryzen. I mean RoR isn't a too terribly demanding game is it? Keep takes and forts tend to lag on any CPU you have as far as I'm aware and that's just from coding. Also I've heard that the 3rd gen ryzen has better benchmarks than the i9-9900k or at least extremely similar. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 4028vs4044

Thank you for your information I'm not disagreeing or anything just trying to have a discussion haha :) all information is appreciated.
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x

Wdova

Post#4 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am

My PC knowledge is verry limited, but as far as I know is:

RoR and original AoR was using 1 or max 2 cores. Its performance was affected by procesor clock speed rather than multiple cores (8+). i9-9900k oced to 5ghz will give you better result than any AMD CPU at 4-4,2ghz in RoR.

For streaming 8 cores CPU should be fine.

Ryzen 9 3900x with 12 cores is an overkill not only for your purpose, but for all other games since they dont use more than 8 cores and you cant get as high clock speed on single core as you can with i9-9900k.

Rival for i9-9900k is Ryzen 7 - 3800x. It should have same performance for less money investment.(in latest tests Ryzen 7 - 3700x is about 8% below performance of non oced i9-9900k in games and in aplications Ryzen is sometimes better sometimes worster so its a tie.

Rather than 32gb 3200mhz ram for Ryzen is better ram with as high frequency as possible 3700mhz + idealy with CL16. At least it was like that for Ryzen 7 2700x.

16gb is enough for now and probably for some years in future, but yea if you want do sveral actions at time + streaming 32 will be better.

Rest of system is ok. I am big fan of AMD anyway so I would go for Radeon VII or RX 5700 xt inted of nvidia, but it depends on resolution you want to play and if you are fan of Raytracing. If you want higher resolution 2k+ - 4k and play games with raytracing, I would invest in to best of the best GTX 2080 Ti.

Ror is not that dependant on GPU, but CPU single core performance.
Pigbutcher - Choppa RR80+
Cyplenkov - Marauder RR80+
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Hajzl - Swordmaster RR80+
Roznetka - Engineer RR70+

saupreusse
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:08 am

Stophy22 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 am
Sulorie wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:40 am The Ryzen 9 3900x isn't faster in games than the i9-9900k. On FullHD it is slower and on 1440p or 4k it is slightly slower or similar as the GPU becomes the limiting factor.

Personally I don't need it to be faster in games than the i9-9900k I need the multitasking that more threads offers which is why I am thinking of going with a new gen Ryzen. I mean RoR isn't a too terribly demanding game is it? Keep takes and forts tend to lag on any CPU you have as far as I'm aware and that's just from coding. Also I've heard that the 3rd gen ryzen has better benchmarks than the i9-9900k or at least extremely similar. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 4028vs4044

Thank you for your information I'm not disagreeing or anything just trying to have a discussion haha :) all information is appreciated.
Well the best cpu you could possibly get is the 9900k. However if you play other games and stream them you might want to go for the new zen 2 architecture from amd. Ive watched some benchmarks and the results were that if youre streaming/rendering and gaming the zen 2 chips come out ahead a few percentage points over intel.

Stophy22

Post#6 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:11 am

Wdova wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am My PC knowledge is verry limited, but as far as I know is:

RoR and original AoR was using 1 or max 2 cores. Its performance was affected by procesor clock speed rather than multiple cores (8+). i9-9900k oced to 5ghz will give you better result than any AMD CPU at 4-4,2ghz in RoR.

For streaming 8 cores CPU should be fine.

Ryzen 9 3900x with 12 cores is an overkill not only for your purpose, but for all other games since they dont use more than 8 cores and you cant get as high clock speed on single core as you can with i9-9900k.

Rival for i9-9900k is Ryzen 7 - 3800x. It should have same performance for less money investment.(in latest tests Ryzen 7 - 3700x is about 8% below performance of non oced i9-9900k in games and in aplications Ryzen is sometimes better sometimes worster so its a tie.

Rather than 32gb 3200mhz ram for Ryzen is better ram with as high frequency as possible 3700mhz + idealy with CL16. At least it was like that for Ryzen 7 2700x.

16gb is enough for now and probably for some years in future, but yea if you want do sveral actions at time + streaming 32 will be better.

Rest of system is ok. I am big fan of AMD anyway so I would go for Radeon VII or RX 5700 xt inted of nvidia, but it depends on resolution you want to play and if you are fan of Raytracing. If you want higher resolution 2k+ - 4k and play games with raytracing, I would invest in to best of the best GTX 2080 Ti.

Ror is not that dependant on GPU, but CPU single core performance.
I thought so, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I know the 3900x is probably overkill for what I do but I build the current computer I have 6some years ago thinking it would be overkill and at its best it was just "yay I can stream league of legends now" and I still lagged on that. So I think im aiming for overkill, except on the graphics card. I don't think I need a 2080ti, I just want to be able to stream the games I enjoy without lagging so I can provide a good quality stream and have good quality gameplay at the same time so its never a choice between, should I stream or should I not lag. That's ultimately what I'm heading for. Also I talked to two fellows at work today and they said for the ryzen 9 anything below 3200 isnt good enough so I believe im kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel there but I think its adequate, with my knowledge at least.
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x

Stophy22

Post#7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am

saupreusse wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:08 am
Stophy22 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 am

Well the best cpu you could possibly get is the 9900k. However if you play other games and stream them you might want to go for the new zen 2 architecture from amd. Ive watched some benchmarks and the results were that if youre streaming/rendering and gaming the zen 2 chips come out ahead a few percentage points over intel.
im aware that the 9900k is the best. The question is how much better? And is it enough to justify better stream capability? I just am trying to gather the knowledge since I don't play too terribly taxing games, like I play wow and ror and some plunkbat and my current computer an intel 6700 just doesn't stand up to the challenge at all. I'm talking below 30fps when stream is turned on and cpu bottlenecks. I've had it for a few years and my build for it isn't the best I know this. With all the streaming I do I thought the amd zen 2 would be a tad more suited for me, thank you for your info it was much appreciated :)
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x

Wdova

Post#8 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 am

im aware that the 9900k is the best. The question is how much better?
No idea how much % you would get. Nobody tested it. Maybe some ppl who play this game on those 2 CPUs could give us some hint and post screenshots/vids with FPS.

RoR has verry old game engine with lets be honest bad optimalization. Nobody know how newest hardware gonna perform here.

If You want pc mainly for RoR, I would go for intel. If you have pc for other games and more aplications at same time go for that Ryzen 9.
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Ads
Stophy22

Post#9 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 am

I think it would be silly to build a PC simply for ROR, considering how poor the optimization is and how old the game is. But alas I do love it, and I do have other applications and games to play so that is why I lean toward the ryzen 9. Just wanted other peoples opinions :) All knowledge helps a big expense and when the price difference is roughly 100 dollars (if were just talking CPU) its not too terribly important but I'm sick and tired of spending x amount on computers and being disappointed, lol.
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x

Wdova

Post#10 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:00 am

M8 I dont think you will be dissapointed on any of those 2 CPUs :)))

They are beasts I mean trully beasts. Your setup is great no matter what.

I play on 6,5 year old laptop with 4 core i7-4700hq, 16gm ram and gtx 770m(GTX 660 non Ti desktop equivalent). In pve dungeon it runs fine. In big fights my fps drop to like 20ish and in huge fits all I see is just slide show :-D
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+