Recent Topics

Ads

CPU Best suited for ROR!

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
popperz

Re: CPU Best suited for ROR!

Post#31 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 am

Without PCIe 4.0 from x570, you will not see 5 GB/s from an nvme like Corsair MP600.
Some of the x470 and B450 MBs support x4, but as a rule they are in the same price range as the x570.
Feelings, WH
Reality, WP
Existence, BG
Emotions, DoK

Ads
Sulorie

Post#32 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:42 pm

popperz wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 am Without PCIe 4.0 from x570, you will not see 5 GB/s from an nvme like Corsair MP600.
Some of the x470 and B450 MBs support x4, but as a rule they are in the same price range as the x570.
Without a production workload, where you would pick a 3900x or higher instead of a 3600x, you don't need such speeds. You don't deal with huge video files either.
For normal consumer needs, a PCIe 3.0 nvme ssd is the top end.
For game loading times or windows boot speed it doesn't matter.
Dying is no option.

desizt

Post#33 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Pentium 4 hands down
Nonoffensive - WE
Faceburn - BW
+ tons of misc alts

~ First rr100 WE on live.
~ First WE with 1+ million RvR kills on live.

Download RoR Client directly via Google Drive(updated 04 Oct 2020)

desizt

Post#34 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:12 pm

On a serious note, please do not spend your hard-earned money on **** like i9 or 3900x (edit: i9 series truly are trash, while 3900X is a very solid cpu, just not needed for everyone)

That's definitely not on the "best bang for the buck" list for any wise consumer.

If you are looking to broaden your gaming past RoR and also stream, then sure, high-end spec which costs 2x-3x more than optimal setup would be juicier, but also, with the RTX 3x series coming out and Intel's "comeback" CPUs on horizon, I'd not spend top dollar for soon to be mediocre components.

Here's a list that I quickly set up for you, that I'd recommend for any casual/average (which means non-hardcore benchmarker, 4k ultra settings players or extensive video rendering gurus):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W9Qndm

Ryzen 5 3600X ~240$ 6 cores but you don't really need more, especially for RoR. It overclocks like a champ and is undeniably best bang for the buck for gaming as you are hardly ever cpu/core limited.

Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler - 90$ - cheaper, better build quality than low-end AIO's from Corsair etc, quieter and overall more reliable than most AIO (or just watercooling in general). Just make sure you check dimensions of the case to make sure it fits. Noctura fans have never disappointed and this will keep your OC'd Ryzen as cool as watercooling. If you'd be running 3900X OC'd to the max, then I'd go with other route, but for 3600X - this is perfect if not a bit overkill.

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard MAX - 110$ - Tomahawks have been insane value performers since release, because they offer so much better OC potential compared to other B boards. You literally get the performance of a mediocre 570 out of this one for a fraction of a price. Good vrm, good heatsinks - good ports - good everything. MAX version just ensures sweeter RAM speeds.

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 80$ - Ryzen cpu's like their fast memory speeds and now that the RAM prices have tanked compared to the craziness they used to be, this is a solid choice.

Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - 100$ - You won't feel the difference of high end m2 nvme and Intels 660p series when gaming. But 660p is considerably cheaper. There is a difference of course, speed-wise (it's QLC not MLC) but given the price tag and the performance it's still the best choice for gaming.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card - 500$ - Not really needed for War, anything would do, but this is currently, once again the best price/performance card.
Super series added few points to the benchmark charts and this is a card that won't be drastically losing value if you plan to upgrade to the 3xxx series in the future.
2080 (especially non-super) is a rather poor decision right now, it's overpriced and underperforming for the dollar/punch ratio.
I would highly recommend getting OfferUp or checking Facebook Marketplace for a used 2070 card, which you can buy for half a price. I've bought most of my GPU's second hand because it just makes much more sense, but you need to know how to verify that you're getting the real and functional thing.

Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - 120$ - bit of the lavish side here, but fully modular (way less hassle with cables) PSU is very convenient plus the 750W will keep you ready for any future upgrades. While Bronze certified is a minimum then Gold makes it even better to ensure you won't be frying your motherboard and all your components at some point :P

This is about ~1200$ build minus the case + case fans which is a personal preference and should be decided based on cable management, dimensions (heatsinks, fans) and for the sheer looks.

Source: ~22 years of knowledge building PCs for gaming.
Nonoffensive - WE
Faceburn - BW
+ tons of misc alts

~ First rr100 WE on live.
~ First WE with 1+ million RvR kills on live.

Download RoR Client directly via Google Drive(updated 04 Oct 2020)

Wdova

Post#35 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 pm

I have machine build in my mind right now. Not sure if I buy it in March or later. Ryzen 4000 CPU/APUs are on its way so build can change a bit.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600(non X version) 6cores/12threads (I have ready many reviews, that X version doesnt not worth higher price)

GPU: Saphire rx 5600xt 6gb (cheaper than gtx 2060 in my country)

RAM: G-skill 2 x 8GB DDR4 3600Mhz, CL17

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-E GAMING - (I pick this one over MSI Tomahawk because I really need Wi-FI module and it has much better integrated sound card and lan)

SDD: Samsung PRO 970 EVO m2 250gb

Case: Be quiet pure base 500 Grey

PSU: Be quiet! System Power 9 - 700W

Windows 10 home

HP 27xq - LED monitor 27" QHD

or

Acer Nitro VG270Ubmiipx - LED monitor 27" QHD

Hope it gonna run older games flawlesly same as the new ones.
Pigbutcher - Choppa RR80+
Cyplenkov - Marauder RR80+
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Hajzl - Swordmaster RR80+
Roznetka - Engineer RR70+

Dackle

Post#36 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:37 pm

desizt wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:12 pm On a serious note, please do not spend your hard-earned money on **** like i9 or 3900x (edit: i9 series truly are trash, while 3900X is a very solid cpu, just not needed for everyone)

That's definitely not on the "best bang for the buck" list for any wise consumer.

If you are looking to broaden your gaming past RoR and also stream, then sure, high-end spec which costs 2x-3x more than optimal setup would be juicier, but also, with the RTX 3x series coming out and Intel's "comeback" CPUs on horizon, I'd not spend top dollar for soon to be mediocre components.

Here's a list that I quickly set up for you, that I'd recommend for any casual/average (which means non-hardcore benchmarker, 4k ultra settings players or extensive video rendering gurus):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W9Qndm

Ryzen 5 3600X ~240$ 6 cores but you don't really need more, especially for RoR. It overclocks like a champ and is undeniably best bang for the buck for gaming as you are hardly ever cpu/core limited.

Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler - 90$ - cheaper, better build quality than low-end AIO's from Corsair etc, quieter and overall more reliable than most AIO (or just watercooling in general). Just make sure you check dimensions of the case to make sure it fits. Noctura fans have never disappointed and this will keep your OC'd Ryzen as cool as watercooling. If you'd be running 3900X OC'd to the max, then I'd go with other route, but for 3600X - this is perfect if not a bit overkill.

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard MAX - 110$ - Tomahawks have been insane value performers since release, because they offer so much better OC potential compared to other B boards. You literally get the performance of a mediocre 570 out of this one for a fraction of a price. Good vrm, good heatsinks - good ports - good everything. MAX version just ensures sweeter RAM speeds.

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 80$ - Ryzen cpu's like their fast memory speeds and now that the RAM prices have tanked compared to the craziness they used to be, this is a solid choice.

Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - 100$ - You won't feel the difference of high end m2 nvme and Intels 660p series when gaming. But 660p is considerably cheaper. There is a difference of course, speed-wise (it's QLC not MLC) but given the price tag and the performance it's still the best choice for gaming.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card - 500$ - Not really needed for War, anything would do, but this is currently, once again the best price/performance card.
Super series added few points to the benchmark charts and this is a card that won't be drastically losing value if you plan to upgrade to the 3xxx series in the future.
2080 (especially non-super) is a rather poor decision right now, it's overpriced and underperforming for the dollar/punch ratio.
I would highly recommend getting OfferUp or checking Facebook Marketplace for a used 2070 card, which you can buy for half a price. I've bought most of my GPU's second hand because it just makes much more sense, but you need to know how to verify that you're getting the real and functional thing.

Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - 120$ - bit of the lavish side here, but fully modular (way less hassle with cables) PSU is very convenient plus the 750W will keep you ready for any future upgrades. While Bronze certified is a minimum then Gold makes it even better to ensure you won't be frying your motherboard and all your components at some point :P

This is about ~1200$ build minus the case + case fans which is a personal preference and should be decided based on cable management, dimensions (heatsinks, fans) and for the sheer looks.

Source: ~22 years of knowledge building PCs for gaming.
This is all great information. Important factors are the NVME upgrade, load times are much faster! Higher frequency RAM. The AMD's love it and use it. I can not agree more with the Noctua assessment; they are the best in business, most reliable, quiet, and worth every penny.

Wdova

Post#37 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:09 am

doky wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am few months ago I put together:
ryzen 3600 on MSI Mortar motherboard.
NVME drives.
2060 RTX
16 GB RAM 2400mhz
no overclock.

WAR runs very smoothly
Iam using OBS for frapsing with no issues, I cant even tell if its on or off. Iam not streaming.
with 200+ people at keeps/forts effects on all however will drop FPS, but still very playable. when effects set on self runs smooth everywhere.
I finaly ordered my PC with verry similar specs. Reading tons of rewiews, watching tons of youtube performance comparsion vids of CPUs, GPUs, coolers, motherboards I put together the most silent+ price/performance rig I could find. The most expensive part is 27" 1440p 144hz screen from HP. Price of motherboard+CPU+GPU cost the same as geforce rtx 2070 super gaming x trio from MSI :-D in my country.3

Ryzen 5 3600 (non x) + be quiet darkrock4 cooler
16gb of ram (2x8 ddr4 3600mhz Patriot)
B450 asus rog strix
Saphire rx 5600xt
Be quet pure base 500 case
Be quiet 600w psu
Nvme samsung 970 pro(80$ in black friday discount)

Its around 100$ cheaper than rig with 9600k + rtx 2060.

I will put some info when it arrives.

Wdova

Post#38 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:27 pm

Wdova wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:09 am
doky wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 am few months ago I put together:
ryzen 3600 on MSI Mortar motherboard.
NVME drives.
2060 RTX
16 GB RAM 2400mhz
no overclock.

WAR runs very smoothly
Iam using OBS for frapsing with no issues, I cant even tell if its on or off. Iam not streaming.
with 200+ people at keeps/forts effects on all however will drop FPS, but still very playable. when effects set on self runs smooth everywhere.
I finaly ordered my PC with verry similar specs. Reading tons of rewiews, watching tons of youtube performance comparsion vids of CPUs, GPUs, coolers, motherboards I put together the most silent+ price/performance rig I could find. The most expensive part is 27" 1440p 144hz screen from HP. Price of motherboard+CPU+GPU cost the same as geforce rtx 2070 super gaming x trio from MSI :-D in my country.3

Ryzen 5 3600 (non x) + be quiet darkrock4 cooler
16gb of ram (2x8 ddr4 3600mhz Patriot)
B450 asus rog strix
Saphire rx 5600xt
Be quet pure base 500 case
Be quiet 600w psu
Nvme samsung 970 pro(80$ in black friday discount)

Its around 100$ cheaper than rig with 9600k + rtx 2060.

I will put some info when it arrives.
So I am playing with this build for few days and I must say It handle playing at 1440p maxed settings while streaming and recording at 1080p.

I was wondering whats my FPS in RoR so I installed MSI afterburner and discovered wierd GPU behaviour. In verry large fights my FPS drop from 99 to 25-30ish and GPU usage stay the same as in scenario which is 5-30% usage but mostly sit around 15% with core speed of 70-350mhz... It never goes above this"magic" 350mhz speed while in other modern games it raises up to 1600mhz no problem.
Anyone else expirience this low speed+low GPU usage in ROR?

It cannot be overheating, because my CPU is at 45-50°C, while my GPU is 45-55°C and it cannot be caused by CPU which shows mostly 13% usage and 4100-4150mhz speeds.
Pigbutcher - Choppa RR80+
Cyplenkov - Marauder RR80+
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Hajzl - Swordmaster RR80+
Roznetka - Engineer RR70+

Ads
Phantasm

Post#39 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm

When I got gtx 1080Ti i expected alot of it, but reality was GPU wasnt even used more than 20%. Game is 10years old, GPU above 1060/580 wont make fps difference as high clock CPU. But again, there is no much difference between top CPUs and Ryzen 5 3600. Game is CPU heavy and can stress them on same lvl. As soon as in WB i get near keeps i get 20fps below no matter addons, UI settings or resolution. Be happy what u got:)