Recent Topics

Ads

Help installing the game - March 2020 Update

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Help installing the game - March 2020 Update

Post#1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 am

Winning entry Hi there. You're probably new here, or it's been a while since you played.

Notes about Antivirus programs, Firewalls, Hardware Routers, and other security programs
Spoiler:
Some of these can be more aggressive than others, and in particular the RORLauncher has been flagged in the past. Partially because this is not a well known application in the wild, and partially because of how it works.
The Launcher manipulates objects in memory to make the game work with our server.
Some aggressive antiviruses automatically deem this to be virus-like behavior.
They check with their database of approved applications when they see this, and if they don't find our application in there, it gets a Generic flag and is sometimes blocked or damaged.

Because of this, we have to recommend that when you download with the Torrent, that you have your security disabled, and then whitelist the folder before turning it all back on.

We have repeatedly reached out to many AV companies and databases, any who responded accepted it as clean, and many others simply never responded leaving it with that Generic tag.

As you can see here VirusTotal which is a very common database, is showing the launcher as clean in the vast majority of AV's. However, old definitions even from a company that doesn't have us flagged, can still cause problems.

TL;DR - The RORLauncher is safe. The torrent is safe. Please disable your AV BEFORE downloading, and whitelist the folder BEFORE turning it back on to prevent any potential issues.
Most people don't realize it, but Windows 10 has a built in anti-virus tool. You'll need to add your Warhammer folder to an exclusion list, or it might throw an error for the reasons above. This is a nice guide. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/exclude- ... rity-scan/
If you have some other Antivirus blocking things, you'll need to figure that out with them, or just uninstall it.

First off, if you're downloading the game using the Launcher and you see something like 171,000 files remaining, you SHOULD STOP THE LAUNCHER. The latest torrent should NOT require thousands of additional files (as of Mar 22nd). After torrent download it should only require around 750 additional files from the launcher.
Installing from the RORLauncher directly is currently not recommended due to the low speeds as many people are using the same server to download from. We are limited in this respect. Please do whatever you need to do in order to download using the torrent.

The highly recommended method to install the game is using the Torrent.
Even if you've never downloaded with a torrent before, it is frequently a dozen times faster than the installer. The installer does a good job of putting things in place, but to be honest, it can slow down depending on high traffic volume, where the torrent will use your full download speed as there are many many sources to download from.

(Never used a torrent? I recommend Tixati personally, it's ad-free and works fine.)

First step, disable your Antivirus, Firewall, or Malware detection programs. These can potentially interfere with an install.

Install your torrent app.
Download the torrent file from here.
Run the torrent file, with the torrent app, and wait until it finishes.

Cool. Everything downloaded with the torrent. Now what?

Stop the torrent. Exit the program. Make sure the torrent program is not running. This is very important.

If you want to help out and understand how torrents work, make a copy of the entire ReturnOfReckoning-March2020 folder before you make any changes and move it to your desktop.
If you don't want to help out, or have a misunderstanding about torrents being bad, just move the folder to your desktop and forget all about it.

You can also uninstall whatever program you used to torrent, you won't need it again.
It would very much help if you could continue seeding though. :)

Go into your Antivirus, Firewall, or Malware detection programs, and whitelist the entire folder that you put on your desktop.

Now the ReturnOfReckoning-March2020 folder is on your desktop right?

Good, right click that folder, go to properties, and uncheck read-only. Apply it to all the files.
Don't worry if the box still looks filled afterward, that's just Windows being dumb. It did what it needed to do.

Inside this downloaded folder is:
- A text file ReadMe with these instructions (just in case you missed these somehow)
- The DirectX 9.0c folder with the DXSETUP.exe installer that is required to play the game
- A copy of VinyUI if you desire a more complex and feature rich UI
- and the Warhammer Online - Return of Reckoning folder, where all the game files are.

If you don't have DirectX 9.0c installed it is required, and now this is also included in the torrent.
In the ReturnOfReckoning-March2020 folder find the dx90c folder, open that and run DXSETUP.exe

Open the Warhammer folder and find RORLauncher.exe
It should Run as Administrator, if it doesn't you should be able to right click and run as administrator.
If it still doesn't you can right click, go to properties, select the Compatibility tab, and check Run as an administrator.
If you can't do any of that, you don't have administrator rights on your account and you'll need that. Get an adult to help you I guess.

In the event there are patches to download, the launcher will prompt you, but the latest version of the torrent should be fine for now. Instead it may download a MANIFEST and do a Verifying check.

We recommend having the ROR_SOR addon to track RvR battles, it can be downloaded here. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=22771
Additional addons can be found on the forums here or at Idrinth's Addon Repository

Login to the RORLauncher with your forum account and password.
Your password should be 6-16 characters long, with no special characters. Letters and numbers only. You can change it on the forums.

Enjoy.
Rule #1 Don't be a ****.
Read the TOS.
We have active GM's that will ban you. <3

WAIT

NONE OF THAT WORKED. OMG.

Okay bud. Calm down. You've got a special case, maybe. Or you didn't read things on the download page. Or you skipped to the end and didn't read all of the things. If you didn't read all the things here, read all the things here.

If you did read all the things here, this is how you get help.

Look at the error message. Read it. They have a bit of jargon, but usually it will tell you what the issue is to give you a clue.

Take a screenshot of the error message, take a screenshot of your War folder while it's open to show off the cool things you downloaded. Usually with those people can figure out what you missed. You can post that stuff on the forums in the Tech Support section. Or you can post it on the Discord, and someone might respond to you eventually.

Please don't single out staff with questions about how to install the game. There's lots of people that have had your same problem and 99% of them just missed a step. The odd 1% probably have other severe issues with their Windows install that we can't help with anyway. If you make yourself into an annoyance, no one is going to help you. Take what you can get.

~~~~ COMMUNITY CHALLENGE TIME ~~~~

Make a Youtube video following these instructions to install the game and post it in this thread!

Is everything correct? Is it missing a step somewhere? Let me know and we can make this the best damn install instructions the server has ever seen!

Reward maybe? Interesting, what kind of rewards do we like to give out around here for the community? Hmm...
After an arbitrary number of submissions, I will declare the contest over, at my leisure.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
davispeed
Legacy RR80

Re: Help installing the game - 2019 COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Post#2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:48 am

First!

Good idea, i like it, however my sig says it all ...
Good luck to the contester!!
]

Ense

Post#3 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Arteus - Marauder

davispeed
Legacy RR80

Post#4 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Ense wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Click here to watch on YouTube
Good one Ense!

Ense

Post#5 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:01 pm

davispeed wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:40 pm
Ense wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Good one Ense!
Thanks man :)
Arteus - Marauder

SoldianTv

Post#6 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:45 am

Here is a german one, made by me yesterday.

Die deutsche Anleitung

GoshDarn
Banned

Post#7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I love you Wargrim
-Bepbepimajep-81-Sorc

Ads
lalonte23

Post#9 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Hello!
want to contribute with the server here is my installation guide.

we can add/delete/edit any part, any typo or maybe i forgot something just let me know!. i tried to make it as short as possible.

i can translate and make spanish and portugues-brazilian version of the video as well.

pd.: sorry about my Windows Español :V
Guntho Salvus

Acidic

Post#10 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Installation guide for warhammer online, hopeful of some use :)

Edit: Updated the sound track