Recent Topics

Ads

RoRBuilder Recruitment

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Natherul
Former Staff

RoRBuilder Recruitment

Post#1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Hey all! As you may have noticed some time ago we moved the rorbuilder link as Ramasee no longer has interest in keeping it up to date. We are looking for people to help maintain the site with current updates as it's clear that I don't have the time myself to keep it up to date.

Essentially what it entails is updating a json file (open with any text editor) and edit it. An example on what it looks like can be found: https://github.com/Natherul/RoRBuilder/ ... ineer.json

What I am looking for are people that can work autonomously on this without much (if any) interference, and as such these people will be getting access to that repo to update said files. The system is set up to automatically download and compile any changes from the repo and publish it to the main site as changes are done.

Ofc many many thanks to Ramasee and Turino who updated and made it from the start respectively.

If you are interested in helping, please contact me on discord or a PM here (would prefer Discord as Id like to chat).

Natherul

Ads
Glorian

Re: RoRBuilder Recruitment

Post#2 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Is this like responsible as general manager? Or for a specific career?

Is every career currently under surveillance of a person?

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#3 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Glorian wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:12 pm Is this like responsible as general manager? Or for a specific career?

Is every career currently under surveillance of a person?
Any updates done would need to be done on the site as well. Im not sure I understand what your asking but as far as I see it I dont mind either people caring for it in general or one career each as long as it represents whats ingame.

EDIT:
Currently there is nobody actively doing work on any careers

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Zagreb wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:01 pm Is this a database dev position or is it just a helpy helperson thing?

Maybe if you put it together with the responsibility of sorting/helping forum guide topics (and composing where needed) and offered it as a database dev position under Lheana you'd probably get a bunch of talent to choose from.
They're significantly different jobs. You don't need to be on the DB team to contribute to this specific tool. This would be a helpy helperson thing if you're motivated enough to keep a nice tool updated. The last two iterations of the tool came from non-staff members as well, simply by checking what's in-game and making sure the career builder matches it.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#5 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Zagreb wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:04 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:42 pm
Zagreb wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:01 pm Is this a database dev position or is it just a helpy helperson thing?

Maybe if you put it together with the responsibility of sorting/helping forum guide topics (and composing where needed) and offered it as a database dev position under Lheana you'd probably get a bunch of talent to choose from.
They're significantly different jobs. You don't need to be on the DB team to contribute to this specific tool. This would be a helpy helperson thing if you're motivated enough to keep a nice tool updated. The last two iterations of the tool came from non-staff members as well, simply by checking what's in-game and making sure the career builder matches it.

Fair enough, i just figured it'd be good to mash those two things together.

Is there a topic detailing what you'd need from a forum guide curator anywhere?
Make good stuff and I'll be happy to pin it in place.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#6 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Zagreb wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:06 pm
Zagreb wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Fair enough, i just figured it'd be good to mash those two things together.

Is there a topic detailing what you'd need from a forum guide curator anywhere?
Make good stuff and I'll be happy to pin it in place.

Yeeeah... okay, a simple approach but not as effective as possible.

I appreciate the sentiment but posting on this forum is too risky as it is, i wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

I mean how miserable would it be if i annoyed someone and got kicked out before finishing a whole bunch of good stuff?
It takes quite a bit more than simple annoyance to get kicked. People you see around here getting the heavy end of the stick have likely been doing whatever earned them that whack for a long time and knew exactly what they're getting themselves into. If you're just making some guides to help people out, I can't see how that would be risky. I suppose if that's how you feel going into it, making risky guides wouldn't fall under the "make good stuff" category.

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#7 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:28 pm

To clarify, as I stated in OP all thats needed is to edit json files (they can be opened in a normal text editor) and modify them to match whats on live following the syntax.

There is no work with DB just these files and github so you can commit those changes.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Zagreb wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:18 pm
Zagreb wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Yeeeah... okay, a simple approach but not as effective as possible.

I appreciate the sentiment but posting on this forum is too risky as it is, i wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

I mean how miserable would it be if i annoyed someone and got kicked out before finishing a whole bunch of good stuff?
It takes quite a bit more than simple annoyance to get kicked. People you see around here getting the heavy end of the stick have likely been doing whatever earned them that whack for a long time and knew exactly what they're getting themselves into. If you're just making some guides to help people out, I can't see how that would be risky. I suppose if that's how you feel going into it, making risky guides wouldn't fall under the "make good stuff" category.

wargrimnir wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:18 pmI suppose if that's how you feel going into it, making risky guides wouldn't fall under the "make good stuff" category.

Woah, ease up there, i just meant posting in general, where did you get "making risky guides" from?!

See what i mean? too risky.
I can't imagine you're genuinely worried at this point. Rules are pretty simple and the majority of people know how to post on a public and moderated forum without getting in trouble.

Ads
nettraper

Post#9 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Hello!
I am a frequent player of RoR. I also maintain a lot of master tables for a living. I think doing this type of check could be trivial, depending on a frequency of update per week. Very familiar with skunk work and privacy as well as scrutiny it requires at times.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/TCWZ/

I love Warhammer and I love the Warhammer lore. Thanks for continuing to support this gem.

Cheers!

Ramasee

Post#10 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:09 pm

To anyone who might be interested, the whole process is relatively easy. You aren't really coding anything, just changing the text file. The rest of the tool will pull data out of .json and display it.

As long as you only edit things inside of the "" most people could contribute. As for getting the information, you'd only need to copy what you see in game.