Recent Topics

Ads

[RECRUITMENT] 3D Artists / Modders / Graphists

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Lilim
Community Management

Re: [RECRUITMENT] 3D Artists / Modders / Graphists

Post#31 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 pm

dalen wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 pm Here is a test with one of the textures:

ESRGAN:
Spoiler:
waifu2x:
Spoiler:
vanilla:
Spoiler:
IMHO, waifu2x is the clear winner, and it would be a big improvement to scale up all textures using that. Then more manual upscaling could be done later.

WOHA! This is rly awesome! :o
I will try it later, too 8-)

Ads
dalen
Developer

Post#32 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Another example

Vanilla scaled 2x linear (like the game scales it)

Scaled 2x with waifu2x:

Source Developer

Fenris78

Post#33 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am

Wonderful tech, I didn't know waifu2x (nor the other one) ; best thing is that gives a nice "hand painting" effect up close, perfect style for a game like Warhammer... ;)
Icing on the cake, the crispiness of textures may works as well with reshade sharpening on top.

It will allow a first and very simple HD upscaling just by using the tool (Thus I don't know if it's possible to process multiple textures at once).
It may need some organization, like many folks working each with a specific portion of game textures to gain some time, because one by one in waifu is gonna be very time-consuming as well...

I'll take a try working with upscaled texture and a normal map (finally found how to extract things like textured weapons with machinima - simply read the .mif files that contains the whole item).
Last edited by Fenris78 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#34 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:20 am

Not gonna lie it looks a lot better than i expected on some (not all) textures. Not bad :o)
You could probably use a macro to make it edit all textures in an array.

Xtaziz

Post#35 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 am

Definetly thats a cool tech! Didn't know there was stuff like this, definetly it would be super helpful!
Akuraz|Kimochiii
www.twitch.tv/XTAZIZ

Collateral

Post#36 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:45 am

QuickBMS looks very interesting. I saw that londo was writing a parser for geom converting a long time ago, no idea if that ever got finished. If this tool does what it says, someone with decent programing skills can easily write a parser for obj to geom conversion and for importing the files back to archives.

tipe93

Post#37 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 am

Don't know if this is relevant anymore but, i have plenty of experience with blender, creating various game assets, high and low polygon meshes. Also i have hand painted textures with Photoshop. I'm downloading client as i'm writing and exporting some models into blender(to determine low poly count) to take some examples and model something new, and see if i can impress you enough. I'll be back with some attached screenshots today.

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#38 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:47 pm

tipe93 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 am Don't know if this is relevant anymore but, i have plenty of experience with blender, creating various game assets, high and low polygon meshes. Also i have hand painted textures with Photoshop. I'm downloading client as i'm writing and exporting some models into blender(to determine low poly count) to take some examples and model something new, and see if i can impress you enough. I'll be back with some attached screenshots today.
Hop!! contact me on discord please :).

Ads
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#39 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Well enhancing a texture isn't a real problem :). Some little trick under photoshop (or any retouching software) can do the trick (and can be batched). A little test in 2 mins.
Spoiler:
NIK plugin for free : here

dalen
Developer

Post#40 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Yaliskah wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:11 pm Well enhancing a texture isn't a real problem :). Some little trick under photoshop (or any retouching software) can do the trick (and can be batched). A little test in 2 mins.
Spoiler:
That is a pretty good result as well. It might be subjective, but I think the result from waifu2x is slightly better though. And that should also be trivial to batch as it is a command line utility. Would probably have to look into how it handles alpha channels though, I did not test that really.
Source Developer