Recent Topics

Ads

What if.. mounts had a cooldown in RVR?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
nebelwerfer

Re: What if.. mounts had a cooldown in RVR?

Post#11 » Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm

Furthermore it would increase mdps' viability in solo because their double charge couldn't be countered by mounting up. :ugeek:

Ads
Sulorie

Post#12 » Mon May 30, 2022 5:42 pm

nebelwerfer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm Furthermore it would increase mdps' viability in solo because their double charge couldn't be countered by mounting up. :ugeek:
Don't you think the rdps would prefer to keep kiting instead of summoning their mount for 2 sec, while the mdps is approaching? :P Not to mention dismounting with throwing attacks.
I don't see how all this would help either melee or a smaller team, as both sides can do the same.
Dying is no option.

nebelwerfer

Post#13 » Mon May 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Sulorie wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:42 pm
nebelwerfer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm Furthermore it would increase mdps' viability in solo because their double charge couldn't be countered by mounting up. :ugeek:
Don't you think the rdps would prefer to keep kiting instead of summoning their mount for 2 sec, while the mdps is approaching? :P Not to mention dismounting with throwing attacks.
I don't see how all this would help either melee or a smaller team, as both sides can do the same.
Yes but in this case i was thinking about the use of double charge (charge + flee) as a means of disengaging.

In which case it would be tough to follow, unless you are a squigherder because they have two charges of their own :lol:

Caduceus

Post#14 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:01 pm

In my opinion, mounts have always had a disruptive influence on PvP in RoR.

With RoR's relatively small ranges and vision distance, I think it gives too much of an advantage to a mounted warband. It allows the stronger side to dominate the weaker side to a larger extent, because it can punish the weaker side more. As soon as the weaker side stands and fights, they're at risk of being smashed by mounted flankers.

In a sense that's a good thing, because flanking implies tactical gameplay and that's what we want. However, the issue is there's no counterplay from the side that's being charged.

This also shows itself in warband vs warband play, where it's often a game of "who commits first" - whoever does becomes the sitting duck.

There should be some risk involved with riding into combat mounted. Perhaps being dismounted could incur a snare or a knockdown effect (that doesn't grant immunity).

Some folks will probably disagree with me on this, but I much prefer the slow and methodical "tug of war" style gameplay. I think the game's mechanics are better suited for it. The main reason it is uncommon in T4 RvR is mounts, I believe.

Less mounting would also cause a relative increase in the size of the battlefield, and in turn bring more strategic depth into the game. (A relatively larger battlefield will cause allocation of forces to become more of a key factor).
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

nebelwerfer

Post#15 » Tue May 31, 2022 5:24 pm

Caduceus wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:01 pm In my opinion, mounts have always had a disruptive influence on PvP in RoR.

With RoR's relatively small ranges and vision distance, I think it gives too much of an advantage to a mounted warband. It allows the stronger side to dominate the weaker side to a larger extent, because it can punish the weaker side more. As soon as the weaker side stands and fights, they're at risk of being smashed by mounted flankers.

In a sense that's a good thing, because flanking implies tactical gameplay and that's what we want. However, the issue is there's no counterplay from the side that's being charged.

This also shows itself in warband vs warband play, where it's often a game of "who commits first" - whoever does becomes the sitting duck.

There should be some risk involved with riding into combat mounted. Perhaps being dismounted could incur a snare or a knockdown effect (that doesn't grant immunity).

Some folks will probably disagree with me on this, but I much prefer the slow and methodical "tug of war" style gameplay. I think the game's mechanics are better suited for it. The main reason it is uncommon in T4 RvR is mounts, I believe.

Less mounting would also cause a relative increase in the size of the battlefield, and in turn bring more strategic depth into the game. (A relatively larger battlefield will cause allocation of forces to become more of a key factor).
Thank you! I wholheartedly agree with everything in your post and it's put together very eloquently. What a nice addition to this thread :D