Recent Topics

Ads

What if.. mounts had a cooldown in RVR?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
nebelwerfer

What if.. mounts had a cooldown in RVR?

Post#1 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:02 am

Heya forum , i want to discuss an idea today :ugeek:

One of the big problems with fighting zergs is that they pour on an outnumbered opponent by mounts and it's very little to do about it.

To disengage even with perfect CC managements is rough, as anyone of the attackers who is pushed off or falls behind can easily catch up by horse.
Spoiler:
(imbalanced attack combinations like chosens/knights free KD + superpunt is not helping in this regard)
This should be adressed, but i'm not sure how. Perhaps a rule to not be able to mount in combat would do the trick? So that a dismounted and punted characted cannot simply instantly get on his horse and chase.

It would also generally make engagement more risky, hopefully making a premade think twice about stopping to gank a significantly smaller force, as the reward might not be worth the risk of your entire team being on foot for the combat to end.

Or maybe something more drastic like having a minutes long cooldown on mounts, to force the players to make sure that when they are dismounting to engage in a fight, they are commited.

Even slowing mounts in RVR could make sense, but i would strongly suggest to buff movement speed in pve(pve mounts with 100% speed for example) so you could easily reach access points to RVR lakes easily and move slower from there on.

So this would maybe improve the game by making CC more impactful, making coordination in the region chat easier and more important as movements are not as fast or sudden, and making the fights hopefully last longer even less decisive when fighting a greater number.

I'd like to hear some input on these ideas :mrgreen:

Ads
Tyrodan

Re: What if.. mounts had a cooldown in RVR?

Post#2 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:29 am

I see a lot of damage done to smallscale / solo orvr and very little gained.

With cooldowns on mounts, people will seek even more "safety in numbers", because small groups rely heavily on their mobility against larger groups. Why would you take that away? If you have trouble dismounting people just lay ambushes or bring rps / zealots with instant-stagger to the group.

nebelwerfer

Post#3 » Sun May 29, 2022 4:12 pm

Tyrodan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:29 am I see a lot of damage done to smallscale / solo orvr and very little gained.

With cooldowns on mounts, people will seek even more "safety in numbers", because small groups rely heavily on their mobility against larger groups. Why would you take that away? If you have trouble dismounting people just lay ambushes or bring rps / zealots with instant-stagger to the group.
maybe i wasn't clear but the issue isn't about not being able to dismount people, but that it isn't punishing enough to be dismounted. 2 seconds later you are on your horse again. :|

Sulorie

Post#4 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:18 pm

nebelwerfer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:12 pm

maybe i wasn't clear but the issue isn't about not being able to dismount people, but that it isn't punishing enough to be dismounted. 2 seconds later you are on your horse again. :|
2 seconds is quite some time, when you are forced to run away.
Dying is no option.

nebelwerfer

Post#5 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:43 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:18 pm
nebelwerfer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:12 pm

2 seconds is quite some time, when you are forced to run away.
Heres one of the first lines of the OP
nebelwerfer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:02 am

One of the big problems with fighting zergs is that they pour on an outnumbered opponent by mounts and it's very little to do about it.
So yes, 2 seconds is a long time when trying to disengage, but when you are ATTACKING and get dismounted, you are free to use this and pile on the retreating force. Which I think is problematic because then what is the point of dismounting. It's hard enough to manage bigger numbers as it is with long immunities to cc and whatnot.

Sulorie

Post#6 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:42 pm

nebelwerfer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:43 pm

So yes, 2 seconds is a long time when trying to disengage, but when you are ATTACKING and get dismounted, you are free to use this and pile on the retreating force. Which I think is problematic because then what is the point of dismounting. It's hard enough to manage bigger numbers as it is with long immunities to cc and whatnot.
Fair enough but you don't address this, as it affects both sides. :)
Being infight to separate both sides doesn't work either, as you are in fight, when retreating.

Tbh, I hardly see people mounting up in significant numbers in rvr to chase people but when people want to get the last survivors, they usually can, unless distance is too far. More often I see people in pug warbands being kited, split and then killed by groups.
Sometimes you have to accept death. :)
It's the price for higher rewards per player.
Dying is no option.

zulnam

Post#7 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:53 pm

Nah.

Mobility is the strongest tool of a well organised group has. An oWB engages and disengages quickly and repositions itself at a whim while the blobs are picking at each other 300 yards from someone's warcamp.

And like other said, people dismounted need 2 seconds of clear casting to get a mount up. Without a corner, that's usually impossible due to LoS in a game where everyone has a ranged attack of at least 65 feet.

But if anything, think of it this way: a cooldown is added to mounts on dismount.
Player A dismounts for any reason.
Player B also dismounts and engages player A.
Player A manages to somehow get space between them and player B and starts running.
Player B chases.
Player A runs for 10 minutes until mount CD is off.
Player B has the same CD so they can either chase for 10 min or disengage.
If player B disengages both players are stuck running around anywhere while their mounts are on cooldown.

So, you see. Adding a cooldown doesn't fix anything. It will in fact hinder gameplay if you disengage quickly as you will be out of combat but unable to mount.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Vri

Post#8 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:18 pm

Dismount them, slow them, multi shot cannon in the field can be used, choke points, flanks, terrain. You do not have to fight the zerg on its terms. Sure the outcome will be more or less the same but you might not die in the steam roller.

Ads
nebelwerfer

Post#9 » Mon May 30, 2022 6:22 am

Sulorie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Tbh, I hardly see people mounting up in significant numbers in rvr to chase people but when people want to get the last survivors, they usually can, unless distance is too far.
I see it all the time, and the result is devastating. A typical scenario is this: a chosen steps on a landmine. He waits out the stagger, gets on his horse and quickly gets deep into the retreating enemies backline to drop quake, or root, or kd to superpunt to conpletely disrupt their kiting manouvers.

Maybe i should add another suggestion to the Op, that when you mount you leave combat and lose your immunities.

Sulorie

Post#10 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:16 am

nebelwerfer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:22 am
Sulorie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Tbh, I hardly see people mounting up in significant numbers in rvr to chase people but when people want to get the last survivors, they usually can, unless distance is too far.
I see it all the time, and the result is devastating. A typical scenario is this: a chosen steps on a landmine. He waits out the stagger, gets on his horse and quickly gets deep into the retreating enemies backline to drop quake, or root, or kd to superpunt to conpletely disrupt their kiting manouvers.

Maybe i should add another suggestion to the Op, that when you mount you leave combat and lose your immunities.
Sure but don't they have 5+2 seconds head start?
Ofc the more players you got the more the enemy has to dismount or CC in order to escape. IMO this is the risk if going with less players, the gain is higher personal rewards with less people competing for drops.
It sucks if you fight equal numbers and a warband comes around a corner but that's life.
Dying is no option.