Recent Topics

Ads

A modest proposal for the SW

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Wraithedge

A modest proposal for the SW

Post#1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:02 pm

The Keep is under siege. I am riding for the postern to join the defenders. A few destro have just passed my path but they are too far away to stop me. I don’t have the fastest horse but it will get me there.

There is a witch elf standing right in my way, nose up to the door. Not a problem, one click and I will be through. Surely she cannot kill me in the time it takes for the game to switch me from outside to inside. Surely not.

She does get a hit in on me, but I get through. I am still taking damage though. Wow that hurts so much, what is this dot, its killing me?

I stop to look at the dot and the damage stops.

Huh…

I take a few more steps and the damage comes rolling through again

I stop and it stops.
Enfeebling Strike, requires prowling, has no cost to use, does massive damage when your target moves for 15 seconds AND halves all your action point requirements.

In a class that everyone wants to get away from, that is so amazingly powerful I can hardly believe it.

What’s the chances I can trade Steady Aim for something like that?

Steady Aim, costs 25 points to use, all powers will have a 25% higher chance to crit but every ability take an additional second to cast.

Everyone buys multiple levels of reduction in damage from crits or chance to crit so everyone already has mitigation in place to ensure this ability does largely nothing and in a class already marred by achingly long buildups for next to no damage, you can add even more build up time for damage that is essentially already negated.

Imagine instead if you were able to ping them for basic damage that happens when they move. Forget the other effect, just chuck that, who cares. Lets keep it simple.

How many times have you been dropping arrows on someone to see them eventually notice and move off to one side. Imagine if they had to pay for that with damage.

Indeed, as an SW, most of our interaction with combat is hiding in a zerg, standing still, building up bow pulls as combatants actually mix it up running around each other in the fight.

I would happily trade some already bought down damage for a dot that punishes people for running around, you know, that thing they have to do to get away from you, or come kill you, or really anything.

How cool and barely useful would that be as opposed to the trash bin we are eating out of now. An extra second of build up for damage they have already mitigated.

Is Steady Aim a go to for you? Have I missed some aspect of it's functionality? Is there some world in which it is not actually a massive DPS loss?

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: A modest proposal for the SW

Post#2 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:06 pm

There's not enough dietary infanticide in this post.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Parallell86

Post#3 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:10 pm

Lovely story though :'D

Wraithedge

Post#4 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:11 am

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:06 pm There's not enough dietary infanticide in this post.
You are correct.

I did not tie it to the literary source material. Chekhov would shoot me.

Back to the workshop for me.

Morradin

Post#5 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:19 am

Ahem ... Broadhead Arrow, Nuff said, Stop trying to steal the WE's / WH's abilities.

KFJason

Post#6 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:42 am

This character is too bad, no offense, no defense, and you lose when encountering any profession. It is recommended to change profession

Sinisterror

Post#7 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:44 am

Yes you have missed something about steady aim (surprise) it increases critical dmg by 25 %. Add that with von 25 %+ DMG for 10 seconds every 20 seconds. Dude i just cant comprehend how much can you complain when you have no idea. Just stack 3 broadhead arrows then pop steady aim and von and see that one dot critting for 1000-1500 wchich is actually high dmg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWit3ol4F_A

Study and learn. With guerilla training you can have close to permanent 20% speed boost that does not break when you use abilities AND on top of that 25% less action point costs. Also swift strikes is super underrated ability with speed boost no other like that in the game ( i so want that same skill on heal AM but it would heal instead dmg and aoe snare 20% so AM can get away whilst healing grp for 500 per hit) Also i crit 1600 with my lvl 38 SW in melee build with brutal assault without armour ignore tactic whilst having 2 KD's.

You seem to have no clue. "oh no i take 50 dmg when i move as a class that can get away from everyone if id learn to actually use the mechanics and learn the class properly "
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

ExcretusMaximus

Post#8 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:32 am

KFJason wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:42 am This character is too bad, no offense, no defense, and you lose when encountering any profession. It is recommended to change profession

You know who thinks SW are bad? Shitty players who can't kite to save their lives ... literally.

Only bad SW's get caught in a 1v1, there is no class that should ever be able to kill you if you play it correctly.

But let's sit here and cry about having to actually play instead of melee blob and faceroll.
<Countered By Skill> & <RUN AWAY>
...........(active)...................(inactive)

Ads
Wraithedge

Post#9 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:46 am

Sinisterror wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:44 am Yes you have missed something about steady aim (surprise) it increases critical dmg by 25 %. Add that with von 25 %+ DMG for 10 seconds every 20 seconds. [much huffing and puffing, stuff about how cool he is and how much the OP sucks, more stuff about how cool he is, its a whole theme]
Ahh right right, okay let me take notes here.

So Guerrilla Training, which increases my speed and reduces action point costs for 5 seconds when I switch stances.

Switching stances has a 5 second cool down.

So, since I am running in scout (because assault is death and skirmish is bad), I should switch out of scout, go from doing damage to out of range, spend at least 5 seconds eating axes in assault or just doing nothing in skirmish and then back again.

Also I should utilize Steady Aim to increase the down time of every single attack by an additional second while I am making sure to spend half my time in a DPS loss stance.

Okay cool, cool. I can try that.
Sinisterror wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:44 am Also swift strikes is super underrated ability with speed boost no other like that in the game
Nothing else like swift strikes? Really? Not convulsive slashing? Not Rend Soul?

There may be something I can salvage from your overtired rant (you should get some rest).

Maybe spending all my time in scout is not all that great. I mean it does keep me out of combat and provide unparalleled survival as opposed to surviving for three seconds as assault and just pretending to DPS in skirmish, but maybe there is some point to mixing up scout and skirmish.

Right now Glass Arrow gives me most of my heft. Split arrow sounds great but its in skirmish (eeewww). I only go assault when someone gets too close and I can’t get away. Its not as easy as all the backseat shadow warriors like to preach. Probably seems a lot easier when you aren’t the one having to do it.

I mean how bad is skirmish really? I could just switch between scout and skirmish, in order to run Guerrilla Training I am going to have to choose something else to be, why not skirmish?

Instantly-cleansed-arrow, I mean slow-dot-that-just-gets-healed-over-for-no-effect-at-all, I mean Broadhead arrow with split arrows is good right? That can make a difference…. Right?
ExcretusMaximus wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:32 am
You know who thinks SW are bad? Shitty players who can't kite to save their lives ... literally.
I’m not sure what I expected from “ExcretusMaximus” but this seems on brand. The jokes just write themselves.

Anyway I just thought that a movement base punishment would be good for SWs because its amazing for WEs.

Indeed WEs seem to have a wonderful gated community of skills tailored to their every whim and need. I was just hoping for a bit of shared wealth. Some classes get to faceroll and some have to do calculus and algebra.

I guess its back to the books.

Sinisterror

Post#10 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:05 am

I tried to help but there is no helping you=) GL
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz