Recent Topics

Ads

[Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
oaliaen

Re: [Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

Post#71 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:56 pm

:roll:
Spoiler:

Ads
meatcpu

Post#72 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:59 pm

I scanned the whole thread and nowhere did I see anyone say "Thanks for all the hard work already Devs". So, Thanks! The sliding scale system is pretty cool.

For various reason's I like SC's. When it's popping it's not a major time commitment, but it does provide incremental rewards. Naturally then I like the idea of ranked SC since after the Oppressor's weapons the only real reward from plain SCs is maybe potions. But I've played less than 5 Ranked matches overall, because I've had a rough time in ranked.

It took me a bit to realize if I'm the first to die, it's my fault that we lose. Whether that's an objective fact or just the opinion of the group it's the experienced reality of it. The last time I q'ed ranked I played more conservatively while a Choppa ran into the middle of everything. After he died I got a message saying basically "Don't ever q ranked again and ruin someone's game".

I think we as a community could do more to keep ranked thriving with patience and tolerance than the Devs will ever accomplish with code. So you lose. Big deal. If the windowing and MMR system work, eventually you should end up in a place where you aren't "ruining some else's game". You shouldn't be talked down to the whole way there.

Maybe some loading screen tips would be a quick win. The format isn't immediately obvious to first timers.
Last edited by meatcpu on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krima

Post#73 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm

oaliaen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:56 pm Image

Spoiler:
Choppas need some love 100%. The class is a joke inside ranked and 6v6.
Krima - WE RR 87
Carnage :ugeek:

Mergrim

Post#74 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Krima wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm

Spoiler:
Choppas need some love 100%. The class is a joke inside ranked and 6v6.
Choppa need Lotsa choppin dmg fix and ID instead of GTDC. Sadly but this class bring only m4 every 4min and chopp fasta.

Toggle

Post#75 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:34 pm

Suggestion from someone not interested in ranked - remove ranked from the queue all. I know this has been suggested before, but I’m going to suggest it again. I enjoy playing SCs casually, and I don’t mind most of them. So, I click queue all. Most of the time, it’s not an issue. However, I have had insta ranked pops as a result before. So, now I’m left with a decision - decline the SC and then lock myself out of SCs for a while OR just go and get it over with. Since I’m a player with limited time on my hands, I often go with the second route. This is not fair to the people who WANT to play ranked, queued for it, sat in queue for a while, and then get stuck with someone who couldn’t care less. Please, please consider removing it from queue all. Thanks!
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#76 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 pm

Toggle wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:34 pm Suggestion from someone not interested in ranked - remove ranked from the queue all. I know this has been suggested before, but I’m going to suggest it again. I enjoy playing SCs casually, and I don’t mind most of them. So, I click queue all. Most of the time, it’s not an issue. However, I have had insta ranked pops as a result before. So, now I’m left with a decision - decline the SC and then lock myself out of SCs for a while OR just go and get it over with. Since I’m a player with limited time on my hands, I often go with the second route. This is not fair to the people who WANT to play ranked, queued for it, sat in queue for a while, and then get stuck with someone who couldn’t care less. Please, please consider removing it from queue all. Thanks!
Ranked has been already removed from the queue all but it's just waiting for this week's patch.

Toggle

Post#77 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:40 pm

GamesBond wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 pm
Toggle wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:34 pm Suggestion from someone not interested in ranked - remove ranked from the queue all. I know this has been suggested before, but I’m going to suggest it again. I enjoy playing SCs casually, and I don’t mind most of them. So, I click queue all. Most of the time, it’s not an issue. However, I have had insta ranked pops as a result before. So, now I’m left with a decision - decline the SC and then lock myself out of SCs for a while OR just go and get it over with. Since I’m a player with limited time on my hands, I often go with the second route. This is not fair to the people who WANT to play ranked, queued for it, sat in queue for a while, and then get stuck with someone who couldn’t care less. Please, please consider removing it from queue all. Thanks!
Ranked has been already removed from the queue all but it's just waiting for this week's patch.
Glad to hear that! Thanks!
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

Fenris78

Post#78 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:11 am

mogt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:21 pm ranked is fine. the problem are the players itself. in rvr many players do brainless zerg, and in ranked the players, must learn to play their char and many forget what teamplay means, that is the problem.

the main problem are the players and not the system. what i see many players have no patience. if you want the gear from ranked, then players please learn to play your char, that is not hard that is very easy,if the players ise their brains.

i know is hard but it is truth.
When You tell me I have to do 500 ranked matches to buy the stuff I want, I'll grind the thing without caring too much about win or loss. I'll simply do my best to ease and shorter the grind.

But if you tell me if I lose, I will be rewarded the same either I fought for 10 minutes or afk-ed the whole time, I won't make any effort at all since the reward is the same.

Now you tell me "try your best, and even if you cant win, you will be rewarded for a long and fierce battle", I'll naturally try to do my best as long as possible, even if my team cannot secure a win, and knowing my 10 minutes won't go to waste on the first error.

That's basic incentive system that should reward, as a previous poster wrote, "the best efforts" proportionnaly, while not encouraging throwing or rewarding too much inglorious victories because someone rolled over the other team in 30 seconds.

Fairness, equity are hard to find since every class is unique, teams are heterogeneous with very varied builds, gear and skill level, so you cannot "fix" balance or players with a magic wand.
But you can surely find a way to encourage the participation by rewarding the best efforts, and avoid people leaving after some losses to never return again.

There is a sweet spot between "lazyness" and "luckiness" we have to find. Definately, or the game mode will be dead in a matter of days.

Ads
oilpourer
Suspended

Post#79 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Spoiler:
There are more good slayers on the slayer leaderboard then there are Choppa's on the Choppa one. I would also personally take Slayer over Choppa any day if just for Stoutness of Stone. 1.5 kd vs 3 is huge if you aren't able to drop rage before the knockdown comes.

dalen
Developer

Post#80 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Mergrim wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:00 pm
Strakar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:17 pm I think we're already seeing some of the initial enthusiasm waning in the low mmr bracket. I was waiting 30-45 min for a ranked pop between 7-9 pm server time this weekend as SM. There were queuers and active games, but I guess not enough 0 mmr. So I only ended up play 2 games, one went ok and one we lost because of a WH who dropped like a sack of bricks and went afk.

The opportunity cost is you can't do anything else except craft maybe while you wait. Other sc's? Go to the end of the ranked line again when you get out. Orvr or pve? Sure ditch your group when you pop, I guess possible if you are in a pug they may not care.

I want it to be good and want to improve myself, but it's not jiving right now.
Yea current MMR system is bad. Most of the time, it promotes people with luck, not with skill. There is RP with almost 1k mmr that just use instant heal. I want just ranked alive 24/7 not only on evening. We have many ppl with 100+games and still rating 0, when i see win ratio there is no way they go above 0. So remove mmr req to drop insignia and fix MMR system.

Most of us were waiting for season 2 and there is no difference with the preseason.

About class balance, for me every class is viable for ranked. There is only a problem with the players. For example, we only have 2 good WH, and this class have acces to win button.
Sure, it is only based on luck. But somehow the same players seem to be lucky in every season, and on multiple classes. While other players are perpetually unlucky.
Mergrim wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:00 pm So ... fix MMR system.
And what's a "fixed" system?
Source Developer