Recent Topics

Ads

Making auras active abilities

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
hammerhead

Re: Making auras active abilities

Post#11 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:46 pm

It seems to me too late to change something. People are accustomed to a certain style of play and are sensitive to any changes. However, both mirrors obscure all other tanks and the group gathering always begins with Kobs/Chosen. I would go back to the old idea of one aura for 6 seconds. That's is somehow hardcode the twister addon straight into this class. You choose three auras, they fall into invisible slots that are turned on in turn. Then it will raise the value of buffs and stats stealing from SM/Bork. And this was easy to do a long time ago.
(\|)o0(|/)

Ads
Twohandernoob

Post#12 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:35 pm

kaloel wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:18 pm
wargrimnirs wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 am [...] but that's the general idea for making them more active and skillful in use.
The only actual point so far seems to be that Chosen/ KotbS is an easy braindead class for beginners to contribute something without much skill. And that feels like a very weak argument...
This is the final boss argument. Where are braindead nabs supposed to go? By now they already tried other classes and realised they can only play aurabot. These changes discriminate heavily against the already challenged. Should be allowed to cone home after struggling with social awkwardness and play their tank.

Toggle

Post#13 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 pm

I’m sure there are people, maybe even quite a few, that specifically chose those classes because of a lack of a mechanic. I play zealot specifically because it lacks an additional mechanic I have to keep track of. Just my two cents.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

Skullgrin

Post#14 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Well, this same thing was also mentioned by Wargrimnir in this thread from around 2 years ago. I got all excited then to see what possible changes might be in store for Chosen and suggested a "Winds of Chaos" mechanic that might make make Auras more interesting.

And then nothing happened.

I figured that there just wasn't a consensus among the Devs about aura changes, and left it at that. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath waiting for any changes to happen anytime soon.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Zxul

Post#15 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm

kaloel wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:18 pm The goal is to change an unfun, passive always on buff-bot into an actively played class. And doing this by changing existing passive buffs into active ones.
I have both chosen- the theoretically most passive class, and bg- the theoretically most complicated class. Practically, on chosen you actually have more tactical decisions to make- bg might have more buttons to press, but in reality its same brainless rotations every time.

If you play chosen as passive buffbot, the problem isn't with chosen, the problem is with you not knowing how to play one.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Onigokko0101

Post#16 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:39 pm

zulnam wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm I think the community should be asked if they want such a game changing option. This would affect both sides and people maining these classes (or deeply invested in organised warbands) should maybe get a say in the decision.

Especially since I don't exactly see the balance improvements this change would solve/bring.
Tons of people will bitch about it because its different, but damn if KotBS/Chosen dont need something to make them more fun and active. Most boring classes in the game BY FAR.
Khrylashe - Zealot
Devarien - Blackguard
Bigdisc- Magus
Aendael - Warrior Priest
Nusku- Bright Wizard

zulnam

Post#17 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Onigokko0101 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:39 pm
zulnam wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm I think the community should be asked if they want such a game changing option. This would affect both sides and people maining these classes (or deeply invested in organised warbands) should maybe get a say in the decision.

Especially since I don't exactly see the balance improvements this change would solve/bring.
Tons of people will bitch about it because its different, but damn if KotBS/Chosen dont need something to make them more fun and active. Most boring classes in the game BY FAR.
100% agree with you, but i would rather leave them as it is if c/k players like it this way than force a change and possibly see an increase in the dreadfully misused nerfed buttons.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#18 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:35 am

Skullgrin wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:13 pm Well, this same thing was also mentioned by Wargrimnir in this thread from around 2 years ago. I got all excited then to see what possible changes might be in store for Chosen and suggested a "Winds of Chaos" mechanic that might make make Auras more interesting.

And then nothing happened.

I figured that there just wasn't a consensus among the Devs about aura changes, and left it at that. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath waiting for any changes to happen anytime soon.
It's more that these changes would be complex and take a lot of dev investment to complete with proper tooltips and client modifications to get them working. The general idea is on the backburner when we eventually get to it. Balance is slow and tedious and not something we want to aggressively implement as was done in ages past. Slowly shifting one class at a time allows player to adjust, adapt, and find the new meta before we move on to the next significant change. Not to mention, we still find plenty of bugs to fix from ages past when changes were poorly documented or implemented without correlating tooltips.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
MonkeyHead

Post#19 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:46 am

Some people don't want a control scheme from dance dance revolution in order to get a single desired event. I think people are confusing the ability to hit a repeated string of keys with strategy. This doesn't sound like it's adding a strategic ability it sounds like it's adding a solo in Guitar Hero to activate an ability for a class that enjoys not doing that. If the game is so lacking in strategic depth that the amount of clicks has to be upped to increase drama then that's the real issue. All in all this game would be 100% better if they made merged 3 of every ability into a single effect. This is why Nerfed Buttons is so prevalent.

roadkillrobin

Post#20 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

Personally I think having more static playstyles (in terms of button mashing) on a couple classes is something good. The problem have always been the efficiancy when you get to much utillity out of it. I would link Aura efficiancy to movement. The longer the tank remain static in term of movement the stronger the Aura gets. Starting at, lets say 50% of current efficiancy and then goes up 10% for every second the Tank remains static, up to 100%, and droping by 10% for every second tank is moving. Same goes for tactics and abilities linked to Auras, like Blast Wave or Focused Mending for example.