Recent Topics

Ads

City Sieges - a different approach on rewards

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
RuffRyder

City Sieges - a different approach on rewards

Post#1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 am

Dear RoR-Team,

there have been many complaints, continuous adjustments and several proposals with the aim to make City siege queueing, its process and rewarding more suitable for the playerbase without driving the team's plans ad absurdum. Still, based on recent discussions, I feel the need to propose a different approach that can possibly solve a bunch of issues that are still keeping you and us busy.

Some of the core issues we have today are
- complaints about imbalanced comps (e.g. 6-/12-man plus random players)
- complaints about imbalanced fights (e.g. 12 v 18 instances)
- several classes being almost or totally obsolete in (organized) City sieges
- stubborness of players to either adjust to fit proper comps or willing to group
- City-dodging because of above issues

A major source leading to the above comes down to being: The choice of the class/archetype to bring into a City siege.

So what makes people bring classes into City that do NOT fit a comp or ignore suitable specs?
- Fun of playing those classes regardless of rewards and probable suffering
- Willingness to gear them up anyway regardless of suffering (the player and the team) from solo-queueing
- Ignorance
- ...?

"PuG issues", "solo issues", some will say, because outside of the organized guilds and alliances, where everyone brings the desired and needed class their leader wants them to bring this day, endgame gear is not made for solo-queued non-City-meta classes and specs, which leaves a lot of people and options outside the scope of possbilities. Possibilities that could make the endgame gear work more fun in the end.

Don't get me wrong, the increase of RvR-based Crest drops have been an important step, but wouldn't it be even better if people were encouraged to actually play the endgame content and enjoy their achievements in a City siege? Achievements is the keyword here, you don't achieve anything by counting your missing Crest based on the losses you still need, imho.

There have been proposals of tradeable currency, upconversion and such, with valid concerns from the team such as
- skipping developed and desired content
- not grouping up as supposed to
- x-realming...

Based on those observations my proposal is: Make the rewards from City sieges - and only those - account-wide, either by using the same mechanic as during Twitch Drops (claiming) or using ingame mechanics like e.g. Account Entitlements (thx to Auran for this suggestion, that didn't come to my mind in the first place).

PROs:
- players can choose freely which class to bring to a City siege, in best case exactly what their team needs
- non-viable classes for City meta don't have to necessarily join a siege
- organized forces will have more changes to fill their ranks with appropriate classes, and get less annoyed by randoms filling up an instance
- players can gear up the chars they like to regardless of expectations of the majority
- encouraging PuG leaders to form proper comps
- more people in City, more instances, more fights

CONs:
- we won't solve ignorance and solo-queueing in general this way
- we won't solve class and realm balance issues this way, because that's another huge topic

As I see it right now, this solution doesn't stand in conflict with the mentioned concern of the team, and can be a QoL change for many of us that main classes that have a hard time getting a City spot, while wanting to enjoy the content and being thankful for getting a spot in organized groups.

I can't think of any disadvantage compared to the current situation either, correct me if I'm wrong here and feel free to add your own thoughts.

Regards,
an Engi that chose to gear up his WP instead of bringing another Engi to City.

EDIT: Bump, because the discussions these days seem to be the same like back then. Maybe reconsider.

Last bumped by RuffRyder on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 am.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. (Mark Twain)

Ads