Recent Topics

Ads

[FEEDBACK] Bolstering working as intended?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
PlagueMonk

[FEEDBACK] Bolstering working as intended?

Post#1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:15 pm

I was on my lvl 24 / RR27 WP yesterday, waiting for the city siege to be over, so I decided to run some supplies in BFP an get a bit of INF. I got up to the BO and what should I find but a Black Orc at 25% health. He was level 40 but I thought, hell, I might have a shot considering I AM bolstered to 48, right? So I start pounding on him and he's attacking me but after about 20 secs, his life was not moving a single tick while my life was being eaten away. In fact, he started GAINING life to full as if he was resting. I was healing but not keeping up with the damage and my melee healing was doing nothing. Long story short, yes he kills me. I take a look at the combat log however and I was registering 40-50 damage while he was mitigating over 400?!!! I'm bolstered so my attacks 'should' be doing 500ish a hit but they are only showing as 50, 1/10th of their actual number? No wonder why I was not getting any melee healing.

Now I looked up this Black Orc and he is in full sovereign, lvl 75 armor and he is RR84 so ok BUT I'm bolstered right? I'm also decked out in the best gear I can find for a lvl 24 so should I be able to do SOME damage to this guy or what the hell is the point of even bolstering?

I also had a similar situation happen when I attacked a Black Guard that same day. He just ran away and I was powerless to stop him. Looking at the combat log again, I was once more doing 50 ish damage and he was mitigating over 200.

So my question is, is this working as intended? If so, then is my only option in ORvR to just run at the back of the pack and heal until I'm lvl 40? This seems counter to what I've been told about how the system is intended to work and really doesn't make me want to do any ORvR, especially on my other characters that have no healing. Makes me feel as if I'm leeching if I can't even hurt a lvl40. If I literally can't even scratch a RR80 with a fully geared lvl 24, then what exactly is the point of bolstering?

Ads
uanaka

Re: [FEEDBACK] Bolstering working as intended?

Post#2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Curious, why do you think your attacks should be doing "500ish a hit"? Sure you are bolstered, but where are you getting that number from.

Also, you have gear, but do you have accessories? All your slots filled? If so, do you have talismans?

Also what spec are you? Even with full sov gear, it's not easy to solo sov-geared tanks in general, so I think your expectations might be a bit too high.

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#3 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm

PlagueMonk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:15 pm I was on my lvl 24 / RR27 WP yesterday, waiting for the city siege to be over, so I decided to run some supplies in BFP an get a bit of INF. I got up to the BO and what should I find but a Black Orc at 25% health. He was level 40 but I thought, hell, I might have a shot considering I AM bolstered to 48, right? So I start pounding on him and he's attacking me but after about 20 secs, his life was not moving a single tick while my life was being eaten away. In fact, he started GAINING life to full as if he was resting. I was healing but not keeping up with the damage and my melee healing was doing nothing. Long story short, yes he kills me. I take a look at the combat log however and I was registering 40-50 damage while he was mitigating over 400?!!! I'm bolstered so my attacks 'should' be doing 500ish a hit but they are only showing as 50, 1/10th of their actual number? No wonder why I was not getting any melee healing.

Now I looked up this Black Orc and he is in full sovereign, lvl 75 armor and he is RR84 so ok BUT I'm bolstered right? I'm also decked out in the best gear I can find for a lvl 24 so should I be able to do SOME damage to this guy or what the hell is the point of even bolstering?

I also had a similar situation happen when I attacked a Black Guard that same day. He just ran away and I was powerless to stop him. Looking at the combat log again, I was once more doing 50 ish damage and he was mitigating over 200.

So my question is, is this working as intended? If so, then is my only option in ORvR to just run at the back of the pack and heal until I'm lvl 40? This seems counter to what I've been told about how the system is intended to work and really doesn't make me want to do any ORvR, especially on my other characters that have no healing. Makes me feel as if I'm leeching if I can't even hurt a lvl40. If I literally can't even scratch a RR80 with a fully geared lvl 24, then what exactly is the point of bolstering?
Dunno about you spec (grace?? wrath??) but i dont know in what paralel universe you dream to hit a full sov tank for 500 dmg...

M0rw47h

Post#4 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:30 pm

Fighting regen tanks as lowbie is kinda... not something you want to do.

Rydiak

Post#5 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 pm

A lowbie thinking that just because he is bolstered he should be killing a full SoV Black Orc. Cute! BiS end-game gear would be meaningless if every bolstered lowbie could slaughter you. Come on, OP, be realistic with your expectations.
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

anarchypark

Post#6 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:24 pm

What's your str and weapon skill with bolster ?
it's depend on current gear.
you said BiS on your lvl, is it set or purples ?
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

PlagueMonk

Post#7 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm

uanaka wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:21 pm Curious, why do you think your attacks should be doing "500ish a hit"? Sure you are bolstered, but where are you getting that number from.

Also, you have gear, but do you have accessories? All your slots filled? If so, do you have talismans?

Also what spec are you? Even with full sov gear, it's not easy to solo sov-geared tanks in general, so I think your expectations might be a bit too high.
To answer your questions......because when I mouse over my abilities it gives me damage numbers? Plus I also had the +25% damage tactic slotted that I don't know is accounted for in those numbers.

As for gear I am wearing 3 pieces of Mayhem, using the best jewelry I could find which is lvl 26 (23 to equip) all green, and the rest of the gear blues at least my level. And yes I am using talismans with the average being a +15 (or plus 62 to armor.....think I socketed 3 of those). Im specced Grace, running my armor buff and wielding a blue 2hander lvl26 (equip at 24). I wish I could just point you to the Armory but I'm not in the system yet apparently after 3 weeks.

I also had no idea what he was wearing at the time but at 25% life I thought I would stand some sort of chance with my melee healing. I expected to do something to him but I did not expect my damage to be so pitiful and his mitigation so damn high. I guess I don't fully understand how my damage ability numbers compare and match against someone elses stats/gear. Maybe someone can tell me why my damage was only in the 50s?

And from the responses I'm getting it pretty much sounds like you are just telling me to not even attack a lvl 40, so I have to ask again......is this really how bolstering is supposed to work? I thought it was supposed to put lower level players on some sort of level playing field but that is most definitely NOT what I experienced.

Toggle

Post#8 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm

PlagueMonk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm
uanaka wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:21 pm Curious, why do you think your attacks should be doing "500ish a hit"? Sure you are bolstered, but where are you getting that number from.

To answer your questions......because when I mouse over my abilities it gives me damage numbers? Plus I also had the +25% damage tactic slotted that I don't know is accounted for in those numbers.

As for gear I am wearing 3 pieces of Mayhem, using the best jewelry I could find which is lvl 26 (23 to equip) all green, and the rest of the gear blues at least my level. And yes I am using talismans with the average being a +15 (or plus 62 to armor.....think I socketed 3 of those). Im specced Grace, running my armor buff and wielding a blue 2hander lvl26 (equip at 24). I wish I could just point you to the Armory but I'm not in the system yet apparently after 3 weeks.

I also had no idea what he was wearing at the time but at 25% life I thought I would stand some sort of chance with my melee healing. I expected to do something to him but I did not expect my damage to be so pitiful and his mitigation so damn high. I guess I don't fully understand how my damage ability numbers compare and match against someone elses stats/gear. Maybe someone can tell me why my damage was only in the 50s?

And from the responses I'm getting it pretty much sounds like you are just telling me to not even attack a lvl 40, so I have to ask again......is this really how bolstering is supposed to work? I thought it was supposed to put lower level players on some sort of level playing field but that is most definitely NOT what I experienced.
I’m not sure why the others didn’t just straight up answer your question since you seem like you’re new to the game. In short, the damage listed for each of your abilities is the base damage. There’s a whole calculation that goes on behind the scenes to determine final damage on another character after you use that ability. There is stuff on your end that increases the damage of the skill (e.g. strength, melee crit, weapon skill, etc.) and there’s stuff on their end that decreases the damage (e.g. crit reduction, toughness, armor, etc.). In your specific example, you were fighting a character that likely has max or close to max crit reduction, toughness, and probably really high parry and armor as well. Additionally, BOs specifically have a skill that heals the periodically. I can’t remember the conditions for the heal, but it happens pretty often. Even with bolster, it’s nearly impossible for you to get high melee crit, capped strength, high weapon skill, etc that you would need to do higher damage to them.

There are also just bad match ups in the game. I’m not familiar with WP, especially as mDPS, but it may be a fight you’d lose even in full Sov. This game isn’t balanced around 1v1. Anyways, I hope this was helpful. If you want clarification, please feel free to ask.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

Ads
uanaka

Post#9 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:01 pm

PlagueMonk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Great thanks for the response - while the tooltip damage is mostly accurate (you can test it by hitting the target dummies in altdorf), that does not take into consideration any mitigation, and unfortunately the targets you were hitting will likely have a ton of mitigation. Most people, whether your level or 40, probably wouldn't be hitting these tanks for much either. I don't know what abilities you're using, but a majority of WP abilities are physical damage which can get heavily mitigated, much less parried/blocked.

Also, you say you are specced grace, but you're wielding a 2hander, which is what is used in Wrath spec. Just wanted to make sure you didn't make a typo, your primary melee heal requires a shield btw. Glad to know you have kept your gear up to date with some talis, hopefully you're using strength talis maybe, along with those armor ones you mentioned?

Do you remember what the BO was wearing? They're absolute damage monsters with their 2h tank, but they can also be absolute tank units with a shield. They also have abilities that will allow them to heal as well. Either way, it was an uphill battle for you. BGs are just as much of a pain with their many self buffs and debuffs. Unfortunately for you, one of the main weaknesses of melee healing WP is that they can kited very easily and you don't have very many tools to chase.

As to whether or not bolster is working? It absolutely is, it's meant to make sure you're not left in the dust and hopefully bring you up to more appropriate levels, but you also have to realize that you're not going to magically kill people either, much less highly geared tanks of all classes. You can definitely scratch RR80s, just gotta get better at picking your targets and being more realistic of what you can do.

Wrikur

Post#10 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:11 pm

The point of bolster is so you don't get insta-gibbed by some random 40's during orvr so you can contribute SOMETHING to your party as a whole. It's not meant to make you competitive with max rank, BiS geared characters in a 1v1 situation.

The numbers on ability tooltips are more like a general idea of how much damage an ability should do. There's so many variables that are going to affect how much your target will actually get hit for. The only abilities that do the exact amount of damage that they say they will are morales.

BO is also very tanky and has a self-heal through their wounds proc, which heals them for the amount increased.