Recent Topics

Ads

Feedback on city matchmaking

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Foofmonger

Re: Feedback on city matchmaking

Post#61 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:29 pm

delarmgo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:35 pm Hey guys, this is my first post as I tend to just silently nod (or not) when i see threads that i agree to but generally i keep to myself and expect the devs to (at some point) come around to fixing things, since in essence, the only reason we get to play this game is them.

I've been playing since April and got two of my toons to 80+ and in Sov gear, partly thanks to being at home, mostly though because i really like this game and the fun you get when you pit hundreds of players against each other.

Dunno who any of you are and your standing within the community. What I did see in this thread is a player setting a legitimate question to the community, one that i have asked myself frequently as I mostly have either boring cities against pugs, or impossible cities against enormously powerful warbands that roll us over in seconds. Very rarely i have found myself in fights that, even when I lost, i considered worth my time simply because they were FUN.

I'm not ignorant or arrogant enough to assume that i know how to fix a game (even though i'm a game designer with an M.A.), because that is an effort that is not, in ANY way, achievable by any single person for a game the scale of RoR.

I still chose to read this thread because i wanted to see where this discussion would lead, if any constructive criticism could be made and if any suggestions sounded plausible like the OP asked. Instead what i got was memes, name calling, trolling and passive-aggressive comments from people that i assume think there is nothing wrong with the endgame content of RoR.

I mean half the reason puggers stay afk in cities is because they understand that they have no hope of winning against premades and go after some easy invaders/royals to the detriment of everyone else in the WB. I've seen this happen so many times, i don't even feel annoyed by it any more (which is a bad thing to say about anything), and if you're reading this and think that you've never witnessed this happen, then we're probably not playing the same game.

Anyhoo, said my piece, gonna return to my place of silent nodding. I know i probably won't see any constructive discussion here but it doesn't hurt to hope ;)
Just a fact of life of how opinions and playerbases work. Where some people see a problem that needs to be solved, others see working as intended and like the design.

You are starting with a presumption, that "there is a problem", and therefore you are looking for a constructive discourse to "solve" the problem. However, what you see in this thread is that there is no broad community consensus that there "is" a problem. Therefore, instead of a constructive discussion to solve the issue, the discussion will naturally revolve around "is there an issue", with both camps putting in their own feedback.

Please note, I really don't care either way and am neutral here, but I'm just trying to point out what seems to be you point of contention in your first post on the forums!

Realistically speaking what we have here is two different viewpoints going on, which are fundamentally and philosophically opposed:

A synopsis:

Viewpoint A: The content should be optimized for players chosen playstyles (change the city system)
Viewpoint B: Players should optimize their playstyle for the designed content (dont change the city system)

Generally speaking, the people with viewpoint A philosophically believe that they should be able to play the game in the way in which they desire to play it, and that fundamental changes to how the game is designed are needed. Whereas, the people with viewpoint B believe that the purpose of said content is to play it a certain way as designed, and that they and others should be modifying their own playstyles to meet the designed content. There is merit in both of these arguments, and either one can be ridiculous when taken to the extreme.

For instance, an extreme example of viewpoint A would be something like: "I want to play solo queue raid content in all MMOs and get all the end game gear and do everything without ever grouping ever" where an extreme example of viewpoint B would be something like "the game developers designed this is a 500 person raid and even though its garbage content and nobody can get the people to do it, we should keep it as is". There is certainly a nuance and balance to be struck between people who want to play things "their way" versus those who want to play it "as designed".

Now all that being said, if I was a betting man, I'd say that in a community of a private server of a pvp focused mmo that is 12 years old is going to naturally learn towards viewpoint B, and I think we see that properly encapsulated in this forum thread.
Last edited by Foofmonger on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
KissShot

Post#62 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:51 pm Don't queue until you fill out a warband?
But I have poor people skills ;)

Korsario

Post#63 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 pm

KissShot wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:51 pm Don't queue until you fill out a warband?
aka Toxic as ****.

KissShot

Post#64 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Korsario wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 pm
aka Toxic as ****.
:o

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#65 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 pm

No, you just play a witch elf is all.

/s
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

KissShot

Post#66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:01 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 pm

/s
/s too small to see, WE buff confirmed. thanks boss

Jabba

Post#67 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Astraosh wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:36 pm
Jabba wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:28 pm Lol, funny stuff. Where are your posts about wanting fair fights when it was your premade of however many against complete pugs? They seem to be conspicuously absent. Maybe, just maybe, you don't want fair fights at all, you just want to win, and you whine like crazy when that doesn't happen (which seems to be very often).
Even losers get crests and bags. I leave because fights are not fair. Keep trying. Seems your salty alliance has low d energy. bye
How many times did you leave an unfair city you were winning then?
Tushi Splats Tush Emoalbino Podge

lulu5715

Post#68 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:09 am

KissShot wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:01 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 pm

/s
/s too small to see, WE buff confirmed. thanks boss
I'd like to see that weird 12 man WE group turn into a 24 man and attempt city. Post results, could be highly amusing.
I make dumb videos for fun.
Take a gander, if you will.

Ads
Alfa1986

Post#69 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:20 am

Foofmonger wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:29 pm
delarmgo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:35 pm Hey guys, this is my first post as I tend to just silently nod (or not) when i see threads that i agree to but generally i keep to myself and expect the devs to (at some point) come around to fixing things, since in essence, the only reason we get to play this game is them.

I've been playing since April and got two of my toons to 80+ and in Sov gear, partly thanks to being at home, mostly though because i really like this game and the fun you get when you pit hundreds of players against each other.

Dunno who any of you are and your standing within the community. What I did see in this thread is a player setting a legitimate question to the community, one that i have asked myself frequently as I mostly have either boring cities against pugs, or impossible cities against enormously powerful warbands that roll us over in seconds. Very rarely i have found myself in fights that, even when I lost, i considered worth my time simply because they were FUN.

I'm not ignorant or arrogant enough to assume that i know how to fix a game (even though i'm a game designer with an M.A.), because that is an effort that is not, in ANY way, achievable by any single person for a game the scale of RoR.

I still chose to read this thread because i wanted to see where this discussion would lead, if any constructive criticism could be made and if any suggestions sounded plausible like the OP asked. Instead what i got was memes, name calling, trolling and passive-aggressive comments from people that i assume think there is nothing wrong with the endgame content of RoR.

I mean half the reason puggers stay afk in cities is because they understand that they have no hope of winning against premades and go after some easy invaders/royals to the detriment of everyone else in the WB. I've seen this happen so many times, i don't even feel annoyed by it any more (which is a bad thing to say about anything), and if you're reading this and think that you've never witnessed this happen, then we're probably not playing the same game.

Anyhoo, said my piece, gonna return to my place of silent nodding. I know i probably won't see any constructive discussion here but it doesn't hurt to hope ;)
Just a fact of life of how opinions and playerbases work. Where some people see a problem that needs to be solved, others see working as intended and like the design.

You are starting with a presumption, that "there is a problem", and therefore you are looking for a constructive discourse to "solve" the problem. However, what you see in this thread is that there is no broad community consensus that there "is" a problem. Therefore, instead of a constructive discussion to solve the issue, the discussion will naturally revolve around "is there an issue", with both camps putting in their own feedback.

Please note, I really don't care either way and am neutral here, but I'm just trying to point out what seems to be you point of contention in your first post on the forums!

Realistically speaking what we have here is two different viewpoints going on, which are fundamentally and philosophically opposed:

A synopsis:

Viewpoint A: The content should be optimized for players chosen playstyles (change the city system)
Viewpoint B: Players should optimize their playstyle for the designed content (dont change the city system)

Generally speaking, the people with viewpoint A philosophically believe that they should be able to play the game in the way in which they desire to play it, and that fundamental changes to how the game is designed are needed. Whereas, the people with viewpoint B believe that the purpose of said content is to play it a certain way as designed, and that they and others should be modifying their own playstyles to meet the designed content. There is merit in both of these arguments, and either one can be ridiculous when taken to the extreme.

For instance, an extreme example of viewpoint A would be something like: "I want to play solo queue raid content in all MMOs and get all the end game gear and do everything without ever grouping ever" where an extreme example of viewpoint B would be something like "the game developers designed this is a 500 person raid and even though its garbage content and nobody can get the people to do it, we should keep it as is". There is certainly a nuance and balance to be struck between people who want to play things "their way" versus those who want to play it "as designed".

Now all that being said, if I was a betting man, I'd say that in a community of a private server of a pvp focused mmo that is 12 years old is going to naturally learn towards viewpoint B, and I think we see that properly encapsulated in this forum thread.
Viewpoint C: you have been playing for unwanted and unliked classes in the warband.
Viewpoint D: you play for a weak (not aoe) class.
Viewpoint E: you are unskilled in the opinion of good experieced lads.
Viewpoint F: you do not have enough English skill to coordinate.
Viewpoint G: you have a low level of gear and rr.

at length you just dont want to play with this mere clumsy ruffians or you are drunk as owl at the moment.) u shouldn't no blame anyone who wanna que as solo fiend, becoz it ain't so plain as you discribed before.
15th orks on a dead elf's chest
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

zumos2

Post#70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:58 am

mrmarmota wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:34 pm
zumos2 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:40 pm Oh so next time you meet complete pugs you are also gonna leave the instance cause it isn't a fair fight?
This is not the issue of the matter. My problem is not with the people that play by the rules, it's the rules. As long as they exist i will leverage them to my advantage, the same as everybody else does. I'm not happy when i stomp a pug, i don't enjoy it, i'm happy i get free royals because i know how random they are. Speaking of, for something that is supposed the cream of the crop competitive content, the rewards are extremely random as far as contribution goes, same with the matchmaking. If you truly wanted it to be that you could implement MMR matchmaking for city and all issues would be solved and it would truly be the try hard core game mode you claim to want it to be, right now it's a circus.
If the rewards are higher for higher MMR games I would be up for that.
Zumos - Member of Red Guard

Current Guilds: The Unlikely Plan - Deep and Dry - Dark Omen