Door Tagging - Can we talk?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
velenne

Door Tagging - Can we talk?

Post#1 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:12 pm

I love the mechanic: the enemy can hardly be expected to build up their keep while they're besieged, right? So if a cannon is shooting at your keep, you need to focus on defending it. It's a good rule.

In theory.

In practice it's being used as a tactic to delay the enemy realm from ranking up their keep by 10 minutes, or stall a siege by shooting the door or even getting a single hit on the keep's Lord. "10 more minutes!"

Here's the thing: one person with a cannon should not be able to stall the entire enemy realm for 10 minutes. That's not a good mechanic, regardless of what can be done to defend against it. The possibility should not exist.

I'm all for a brief timer, but 10 minutes is way too long.

Ads
Brickson

Re: Door Tagging - Can we talk?

Post#2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 pm

I think 10 minutes just for hitting the outer door with one cannon shot is a bit much too.

Besides that 10 minutes are fine. You already started a real siege in these cases and can 'keep the door open' for a second try.

I think it was yesterday when I went into the shadowland keep to tag the lord with my wh several times in a row. It's not impossible to defend. You just have to be a bit organized and actually defend the keep..
Bricksana 8X SM, Bricksona 8X WH, Bricksone 7X Engi, Bricksorno 6X RP, Bricksonor 4X SW

M0rw47h

Post#3 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 pm

velenne wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Here's the thing: one person with a cannon should not be able to stall the entire enemy realm for 10 minutes. That's not a good mechanic, regardless of what can be done to defend against it. The possibility should not exist.

Just gank that person.

velenne

Post#4 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:54 pm

M0rw47h wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 pm
velenne wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Just gank that person.
I knew this response was coming. Here's what you need to do to "just gank that person":
  • -Devote an entire warband or more to the entire area around the keep.
    -Spot the would-be cannoneer in time to dismount him and drop the cannon.
    -Keep him from loading the cannon and shooting (remember that being damaged doesn't knock you out of siege equipment
If he's alone, hey, maybe you can manage that. In all likelihood you have a few seconds to prevent the door from being tagged or the entire realm is punished for 10 minutes. Seems wonky to me.

But more often that not, you don't have the resource to spare for such a thing and I think it's not fun to expect it from players.

We talk about nerfs a lot: name an ability in the game that punishes an entire realm for 10 minutes with a single mouse click.

TreefAM

Post#5 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 pm

Box runner wbs deserve to be cannoned.

catholicism198

Post#6 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:58 am

TreefAM wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 pm Box runner wbs deserve to be cannoned.
No boxes, no siege.

Door tag game is stupid.

Esperflame

Post#7 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:14 am

What if they tie the ability to level a keep based on when the doors are locked. So once the outer doors are locked due to damage then they can tag the door preventing it from leveling until the door is repaired above 50%? (just tossin around ideas)
Karnak (Ironbreaker), Hadebrandt (KotBS), Quigon (Swordmaster), Rakthraka (Black Orc), Thulza (Chosen), Braerithryn (Blackguard)

"Yeah, I play all the tanks. I've got beef!" - Me

velenne

Post#8 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Esperflame wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:14 am What if they tie the ability to level a keep based on when the doors are locked. So once the outer doors are locked due to damage then they can tag the door preventing it from leveling until the door is repaired above 50%? (just tossin around ideas)
I think that's how it works already? (if I'm understanding you correctly)

I think the easiest solution is to lower that timer to 30 seconds per shot until the door is under 97%. That lets a ram tag it the way it does now, but if you want to keep a door tagged in the absence of a ram, you have to shoot it close to continuously.

This captures what seems to be the intent of the mechanic without punishing an entire realm for 10 minutes with a single mouse click.

Ads
wachlarz

Post#9 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Make keep siege status when door have 90% hp.

velenne

Post#10 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:44 pm

catholicism198 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:58 am
TreefAM wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 pm Box runner wbs deserve to be cannoned.
No boxes, no siege.

Door tag game is stupid.
It's a silly metagame, I agree. I like the mechanics of running supplies to rank up keeps. There's a lot of fun metagame in controlling BO's and trying to shepherd the zerg into doing useful things for zone capping.

But therein lies the rub. It just takes one person who knows what they're doing to prevent the entire enemy realm from playing the game for 10 minutes. That's quite literally the most overpowered thing in the game and no one talks about it.