Recent Topics

Ads

Variation for tank guard ability

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Deifact

Variation for tank guard ability

Post#1 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:44 am

I see a lot of people complain that tanks don't guard properly. Guard can be quite difficult to use effectively especially in RvR where you can be in a blob with loads of people. There isn't any indicator that you are too far away from your guard without addons.

So how about adding an additional Tank ability, call it "Sentinel" or something. With this toggled on, you'll take 10-50% of damage for up to 5 players within x meters near you. If you have only one person in the radius, you'll take 50% of damage for them. If you have 5 players near you, you'll take 10% damage for each of those 5 players. If you have 10 players near you, you'll take 10% of damage for the 5 closest players.

This effect cannot stack with other tanks, and won't stack with or overwrite the effect of Guard.

It could have an internal cooldown, say you'll take damage on someone's behalf once every 2 seconds (to stop just getting obliterated by AoE).

It's still less effective than using Guard, as you can't control who you are taking damage for, but better than not guarding at all.

Any thoughts?

Ads
Noslock

Re: Variation for tank guard ability

Post#2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 pm

And you really think that a tank who dont use guard because : A: is lazy B: he is selfish C: is an idiot D: a combination of previous 3 , would toggle such ability on? Plus any players who takes rvr seriously runs addons especially the guard package with tether that shows guard /guarded position and range.Rest of players can die for what i care if they r not willin to upgrade and learn their class .I mean applying guard is the very minimum requirement for anyone who play a tank.We r not talking about swapping guard,punting tank who guards the focused dps or stuff life that (that would be too difficult for most of players) but everyone should put that ability on their bar and use it.
Last edited by Noslock on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSKaneda

Post#3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:47 pm

That "sentinel" ability is called Hold the line. There are also group absorb or dmg reduction morales. We don't need extra abilities, just players that know what their skills are doing and using them.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Noslock

Post#4 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:58 pm

What you really want is a debuff that applies on the tank in a group if hes not using the guard on anyone :-) to make him take 50% more damage lol.Then i bet that every tank in game will use guard as first skill.

NSKaneda

Post#5 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Noslock wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:58 pm What you really want is a debuff that applies on the tank in a group if hes not using the guard on anyone :-) to make him take 50% more damage lol.Then i bet that every tank in game will use guard as first skill.
Make that debuff also apply -50% outgoing dmg so even 2H tanks remember that they can guard ;)
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Deifact

Post#6 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 pm

Just using the guard ability is useless though if you then are too far away from the guarded target.
Maybe my idea was a terrible one, but I don't think players can be totally blamed for not using guard effectively when the game makes it hard to use effectively without addons.
Hold the line is very different, it's much easier to use.

Noslock

Post#7 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:35 pm

Deifact wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 pm Just using the guard ability is useless though if you then are too far away from the guarded target.
Maybe my idea was a terrible one, but I don't think players can be totally blamed for not using guard effectively when the game makes it hard to use effectively without addons.
Hold the line is very different, it's much easier to use.
The point is being close to your guarded dps and your dps have to learn to not overextend.Ofc you have to deal with the strategic punt and cc here and there but thats part of the game.And there is where tether addon comes handy