Recent Topics

Ads

Tanks who doesn't use guard

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
SuperStar

Tanks who doesn't use guard

Post#1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Hello

I see many tank in sc who doesn't use guard.
It's for me the same if the afk or healer doesnt heal.
I feel he leech us. I have to drink many potion while he think he is very good.

It's ok pug sc if somebody don't wanna use his role main ability he can. IAM a liberalist.

But plz I would like to go solo party then I don't wanna share the rr or anything these kind of guyz.
Plz bring back the solo option in sc.

I usually ask them but most of them pretend he hasn't got ear others do some hate speech.

Give everybody the freedom plz he free to not use guard. I wanna free leave these kind of guyz alone.

This is a very coward behavior imo. Usually the ppl cry for dps healers. But the tanks without guard is the worst imo.

Also if you can make a noticer in every sc starting something like this:
Hello your role is tank main ability is guard use it. Even cross guard better than nothing. Easier healer life.

Ads
Jambalaya

Re: Tanks who doesn't use guard

Post#2 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:17 pm

How am i supposed to fully utilise focused offence if I have to take a load of guard damage?
Big Yodes

Foofmonger

Post#3 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Yea you can't force people to play or use abilities in the way you want them, that's just life. The easy solution is to make some friends with tanks who will guard you, or accept that you are rolling the dice and maybe you will get guarded and maybe you wont. You can also always just ask for one nicely "hey X could you please guard me", and that works out well for me about 90% of the time.

However, just using guard isn't even a measure of a tank doing a good job, so this doesn't actually solve the issue. Guarding healers in the back, using guard once at the beginning of the scenario and forgetting about it/never swapping, etc... are all effectively as bad as not using guard at all. Poor use of guard is effectively "no use of guard" because the playstyle needs to match the role, again, nothing you can force people to do.

So your options are thus:

1. Group don't pug.
2. If you pug, ask nicely for guards.
3. If you pug, and ask nicely for guards, and still don't get the guard, accept it and move on.

Martok

Post#4 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:47 pm

A few thoughts on the subject expressed here:

Click here to watch on YouTube
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Esmeralda

Post#5 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 pm

You should better ask yourself are you worth guarding? So at the beginning of SC I choose a seemingly worthy mdps give him guard and make assist macro on him, and then I often see him beating on tanks/pouncing away/being terrible at positioning/not switching targets. Its just a waste of guard at this point and I'd better swap between healer and rdps then or just don't guard at all.

Foofmonger

Post#6 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:35 pm

Esmeralda wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 pm You should better ask yourself are you worth guarding? So at the beginning of SC I choose a seemingly worthy mdps give him guard and make assist macro on him, and then I often see him beating on tanks/pouncing away/being terrible at positioning/not switching targets. Its just a waste of guard at this point and I'd better swap between healer and rdps then or just don't guard at all.
This too, it goes both ways for both tanks and non-tanks. Although I rarely tank (mostly on my alt these days when I play him), this certainly happens on that end of the spectrum.

Either way, it's good to both remember names and to utilize your friends list. Find tanks you like in pugs? Send them a message, add them to your friends list, see if they want to group with you, maybe they are pugging and they would like to duo. Same goes for as a tank and you find solid DPS who you can guard/assist.

At the end of the day, while you can play this game solo/pugging, that will never be the optimal way to play an MMO, so you have to understand that you are taking a risk not grouping with people/making friends/joining guilds, and that risk is "you getting stomped by players who put more effort in than you do". If you group with tanks you know, and/or dps you know, this becomes a non-issue.

SuperStar

Post#7 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Guyz
I don't care if not me who got the guard.
I can be far.
I don't care if he doesn't wanna guard anybody.
But I don't wanna play with him in the same party. Coz imo he is a leecher. But now when I go separate solo group I didn't get any renown.

This is my problem.

I can group up easily if I want but I bored farm the enemy I enjoy the solo experience full off surprise.

But I cannot stand these type of players. They leech me I do dmg I do kill I risk my life IAM in focus all the time I drink lot of potion while he do nothing no guard no challenge no cc just his shity "dmg".

I don't wanna be the same group.

Everybody play how he likes it's perfect for me he can play naked or can go afk I don't care I don't wanna change them anymore too many of them

I want one thing be a different group or solo and get my renown. And not punished by system coz I don't wanna be a same group with these leechers

I can easily group up and find guard heal if I want the problem is not here guyz. My problem is they leech me and I can't avoid them I have to share my renown with them but they do nothing.

Everdin

Post#8 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:21 pm ... are all effectively as bad as not using guard at all. Poor use of guard is effectively "no use of guard" because the playstyle needs to match the role, again, nothing you can force people to do. ...
nope, not using guard is far more worse than giving bad guard.

• A healer (heal spec) can decide if he uses his heals, if not, he is a bad healer. (except he refuse to heal a not guarding tank, thats just karma!)
  • A dps (even dps healer) can decide if he want to use the best dmg spells he have, if he don't do, he is a bad dps!
  • A tank can decide if he want to use guard, if he don't use it, he is a bad tank!

I always give guard, sometimes in pug my guard performance is not good, but i guard, no matter what, and why? Because it's my job!.
#AllClassesMatter

“A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”

― John Burroughs

Ads
Foofmonger

Post#9 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:01 pm

Everdin wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:53 pm
Foofmonger wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:21 pm ... are all effectively as bad as not using guard at all. Poor use of guard is effectively "no use of guard" because the playstyle needs to match the role, again, nothing you can force people to do. ...

• A healer (heal spec) can decide if he uses his heals, if not, he is a bad healer. (except he refuse to heal a not guarding tank, thats just karma!)
  • A dps (even dps healer) can decide if he want to use the best dmg spells he have, if he don't do, he is a bad dps!
  • A tank can decide if he want to use guard, if he don't use it, he is a bad tank!

I always give guard, sometimes in pug my guard performance is not good, but i guard, no matter what, and why? Because it's my job!.
I agree with you.

My point is that just using guard isn't good enough, you also need to use it properly. Not that you have to be "omg l33t guard swapper" (that will come eventually after playing a tank for a bit), but at the very least attempting to protect people with it. Guard is not an ability you use like a buff and forget about, guard is an ability that you "use" on a friendly to save them from dying, it just so happens to be a buff with no cooldown. Imagine you were "taunting" your ally into taking less damage, it's effectively a single target "anti-taunt", with no cd. While you usually want to "rest" it on a dps that you are near, that's not the only thing that should be done with the ability.

toffikx

Post#10 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:32 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:01 pm
Everdin wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:53 pm

I agree with you.

My point is that just using guard isn't good enough, you also need to use it properly. Not that you have to be "omg l33t guard swapper" (that will come eventually after playing a tank for a bit), but at the very least attempting to protect people with it. Guard is not an ability you use like a buff and forget about, guard is an ability that you "use" on a friendly to save them from dying, it just so happens to be a buff with no cooldown. Imagine you were "taunting" your ally into taking less damage, it's effectively a single target "anti-taunt", with no cd. While you usually want to "rest" it on a dps that you are near, that's not the only thing that should be done with the ability.
Dynamic guard swapping is a myth made up by the elitist crowd. You want to put up the guard and make it stick. Kind of like a lucky charm.