Recent Topics

Ads

Bane Shield (less-so Discordant Fluctuation)

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Foofmonger

Re: Bane Shield (less-so Discordant Fluctuation)

Post#51 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:13 pm

adamthelc wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:23 pm So if a BW took 4300 damage in 3 seconds how much damage did they do in 3 seconds? 21,000? Maybe more depending on your procs.

I was surprised that dire shielding was AoE based and not group based. But it seems to be doing its job. It punishes people who do lots of attacks and makes them think twice about doing it.

Potentially hitting 24 people with bane shield does seem over the top, but then all AoE that can hit 24 people seems over the top.
Agreed, I think what I've learned from my experience on this server thus far and reading the forums/balance discussions is that this game was not designed for a 24 player AoE cap and that trying to force this and make it work is not a good idea. The devs should really re-consider trying to turn RoR into "Daoc-lite" and just go back to the initial vision of the combat system, which wasn't "just spam AoE", and required good use of assisting, single target abilities, and AoE abilities all combined. There is no reason Rain of Fire or Napalm should be hitting 24 people, and therefore no reason that Dire Shielding should be shielding 24 people. The game was not designed for this and it fundamentally doesn't work. It makes large keep sieges/forts unfun for everyone but the RDPS aoe spammers. It reduces skill in gameplay in many battles, instead of actually picking targets and assisting and having smart ability usage, the vast majority of fights are just AoE spam-fests.

All of the subsequent balance issues and discussions that revolve around AoE abilities and classes, etc... are a symptom, not the cause of the problem. The cause is a huge major change to the game's combat system, the AOE cap increase. This one change has caused this server and the devs more balance headaches then I think anyone realizes. Balance proposals around WE/WH? It's 100% about the AoE cap. Balance whines about Choppa and Slayer abilities such as Rampage and GTDC? It's acutally 100% about the AoE cap. People complaining about Bright Wizard and Engie AoE spam? Again, 100% about the AoE cap. Balance threads such as this about damage reflects? 100% about the AoE cap. The actual balance discussions are just red-herring arguments that skirt around the actual major issue, which is the AoE cap.

Unfortunately, the problem we have today is that the increase in AOE cap would require an entire rebalancing of the entire game and combat system to actually make it work well. The devs have done "some of this", but they haven't done the full balance pass to the game to account for the major system change they made. Just look at the WE/WH class and how they do in this "major system change" meta, and it is very clear that the AoE cap increase has not yielded the needed ability and system overhauls to make this change make sense.

Devs, I ask you think about doing 1 of 2 things here:

1. Go back to the real game, and revert the AoE cap changes, and subsequent AoE tweaks to those changes. This is the best and easiest solution. It was an interesting experiment, but it's causing more issues then it solves.

2. Keep the AOE cap, but re-balance the game around it. Make sure you go over ever single ability of every single class and make an informed decision about the AoE cap that each single ability has. Should it be 24? Should it be 12? Should it be 3? Tweak all AoE and ST numbers of all abilities to account for this major system change, and make sure that you don't leave entire classes and specs that aren't AoE focused in semi-useless states (such as WE/WHs, or the majority of single target specs for many classes).

The situation we have right now where we have a major system change from live (the AoE cap), but not a full balance pass to account and adjust for that change, is fraught with issue, and is the cause of most of this servers balance issues, even ones that don't seem to be related.

Ads
Gunlinger

Post#52 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm

The way Baneshield works atm is ridicules!

One Napalm Grenade from its max range into a sieging WB from up the Keepwall and you can say goodbye to half a health bar in 3 sec.
And the morst ridicules part is, that it has NO RANGE CAP.

Place Napalm and stay, you get the dmg.
Place Napalm mount and run off. If a Baneshield Chosen walks into it, you get unmounted and dmg.
Place Napalm, die to Baneshield. get rezz and insta die again to Baneshield.
Place Napalm, die to Baneshield at Keepwall in Southern Garnison in Praag. Release and spawn in Warcamp. You get dmg from Baneshield.

My Engi is shooting Bullets. Its tossing Grenades and FLamable liquids. And that stuff is triggering a shield now. Because hey, why not make a magical invisible
tentacle lashing out from this Chosen and his friends, from the point they are all the way into the next zone, just because they suddenly walk into a Land mine,
i placed there 1 min ago before i ported away.

Cut the reflect range to max 100 feet i say. Or just go on with this step by step buffing Chosen to be the soon to be one man army Astartes warbandkiller. Who cares.
Because at the end of the day, HE will get what he wants for his main class.

Illuminati

Post#53 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:55 pm

"A Chosen Champion of Tzeentch is a sight to behold (we continue to pay for how badass we look)- warped by the blessings of the dark gods, these hulking behemoths have the power and size to match even the mightiest of mortal creatures (circa 2012 Crippling Strikes). Their thick Chaos armor can ward off the most punishing of blows (except WL, SW, Slayer, Engi, BW, and AM), while the fell weapons they wield can cleave the heaviest of defenses (for a very small amount) However, these "blessings" come at a price..." (-20% heals)

I do think Bane Shield should only buff groupmates, however, can we can at least buff the damage a bit considering the attackers are most likely not under the affect of debuffs? or something cool like "targets affected by Baneshield also have their Spirit Resistance debuffed by 220"

Anyway, thanks again @Grunbag for the continued help to the class (Seeping Wounds critically hitting, Oppression stat contribution).

-Cheers
————————————————
Destro: Killamanjaro (80+ Choppa) / Killamanjaroo (70+ DoK) / Unsworn (70+ Chosen) / Illuminatii (60+ Blackguard) / Killaman (80+ Squig)
Order: ?

Bugs reported: 6

adamthelc

Post#54 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Gunlinger wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm The way Baneshield works atm is ridicules!

One Napalm Grenade from its max range into a sieging WB from up the Keepwall and you can say goodbye to half a health bar in 3 sec.
And the morst ridicules part is, that it has NO RANGE CAP.

Place Napalm and stay, you get the dmg.
Place Napalm mount and run off. If a Baneshield Chosen walks into it, you get unmounted and dmg.
Place Napalm, die to Baneshield. get rezz and insta die again to Baneshield.
Place Napalm, die to Baneshield at Keepwall in Southern Garnison in Praag. Release and spawn in Warcamp. You get dmg from Baneshield.

My Engi is shooting Bullets. Its tossing Grenades and FLamable liquids. And that stuff is triggering a shield now. Because hey, why not make a magical invisible
tentacle lashing out from this Chosen and his friends, from the point they are all the way into the next zone, just because they suddenly walk into a Land mine,
i placed there 1 min ago before i ported away.

Cut the reflect range to max 100 feet i say. Or just go on with this step by step buffing Chosen to be the soon to be one man army Astartes warbandkiller. Who cares.
Because at the end of the day, HE will get what he wants for his main class.
The goofy think about these complaints is that people are inadvertently bringing up things that are stronger than bane shield. So you cast your balsam grenade and then running 200 ft behind a wall. YOU are still doing damage 200 ft away. So if you want to say your napalm would stop doing damage if you are over 100 ft away, then bane shield wouldn't hit you when you are over 100 ft away. I would be OK with that.

Bane shield IS kind of mindless to use, but so is RoF/PoS/NG/DM/TFS/PS. All of those abilities are overperforming in certain situations like forts or big keep battles and none of them are particularly hard to use.

Dire shielding is not represented on order so that is a faction balance issue. But how much better is RoF spam than PoS spam?

IMO the point of a damage shield should be make dps be aware of and play around it or pay the price. The OP even brings up funnel power. He was OK with taking half that damage as long as it was giving him more damage, so how can it be overwhelmingly devastating if he would normally be ok with taking half that damage?

The fact that the OP made the choice to turn off funnel power because of the damage shield seems like the exact thing a damage shield should do.

It just seems like people expect a damage shield to be so insignificant that they can

They should reduce the duration of bane shield with dire shielding instead of increase it, so chosens have to be better about how they use it and give people more of an ability to play around it. And things like nalpam grenade, that you can't cancel, should not proc it.

Omegus

Post#55 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Limiting Dire Shielding to party members won't do much for its use in cities when 4 Chosens are pretty meta anyway. If anything, it might make it even harder to justify taking more than one Black Guard (the one is for Crimson Death and Soul Killer) when Black Orcs bring loads of utility as well. Personally I'd rather see a range restriction added to the backlash rather than limiting it to group members as the range restriction can't be overcome by stacking more Chosens.

I'm not sure if multiple Dire Sheildings stack (i.e. each has their own per-player ICD so you can backlash twice) - it probably doesn't otherwise it would be abused even more than it is now, but if it somehow does then make it not :P
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Illuminati

Post#56 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:03 pm

Omegus wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm Limiting Dire Shielding to party members won't do much for its use in cities when 4 Chosens are pretty meta anyway. If anything, it might make it even harder to justify taking more than one Black Guard (the one is for Crimson Death and Soul Killer) when Black Orcs bring loads of utility as well. Personally I'd rather see a range restriction added to the backlash rather than limiting it to group members as the range restriction can't be overcome by stacking more Chosens.

I'm not sure if multiple Dire Sheildings stack (i.e. each has their own per-player ICD so you can backlash twice) - it probably doesn't otherwise it would be abused even more than it is now, but if it somehow does then make it not :P
It doesn’t stack with x2 Chosens (tested that).
————————————————
Destro: Killamanjaro (80+ Choppa) / Killamanjaroo (70+ DoK) / Unsworn (70+ Chosen) / Illuminatii (60+ Blackguard) / Killaman (80+ Squig)
Order: ?

Bugs reported: 6

StaH84

Post#57 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Omegus wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm Limiting Dire Shielding to party members won't do much for its use in cities when 4 Chosens are pretty meta anyway. If anything, it might make it even harder to justify taking more than one Black Guard (the one is for Crimson Death and Soul Killer) when Black Orcs bring loads of utility as well. Personally I'd rather see a range restriction added to the backlash rather than limiting it to group members as the range restriction can't be overcome by stacking more Chosens.
As I wrote before, You have to be within as many group members as You can on order to buff them and all the chosen should do it a te same Time assuming that they are SnB specced and have Dire Shielding tactics. Its not an aura, its not working always. With 24 discord premade IT will work, with pug, not exactly....
"Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred Pennyworth.

And these men are:
Bjoorn Wanderer - Chaos Chosen - 40 - 68
Dasmarta - Greenskin Choppa - 40 - 39
Waladan - Dark Elf Disciple of Khaine - 32 - 32

Esperflame

Post#58 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:18 pm

This is a problem with the AoE cap, not Dire Shielding. Maybe consider at least dropping the AoE cap down to 12. It was nerfed on live because of Bright wizards and for good reason. Just admit you made a mistake in making it 24 and fix it and move on. The majority of people I talk with in discord agree that going from 9 to 24 was just stupid and overboard. That's the main issue I've had with a lot of the buffs and nerfs you do. You don't tweak or adjust, you just turn it the volume all the way to 11.
Karnak (Ironbreaker), Hadebrandt (KotBS), Quigon (Swordmaster), Rakthraka (Black Orc), Thulza (Chosen), Braerithryn (Blackguard)

"Yeah, I play all the tanks. I've got beef!" - Me

Ads
Uchoo

Post#59 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:42 pm

I don't normally chime into balance discussions since we fought for 2H BG knockdown and giving shaman's desperation back in the day because people just love to throw logical fallacies and derail threads but I'll chime in here.

I strongly disagree with the 24 man aoe, my thoughts are much akin to Foof's but I'm basically long past caring; I don't really even care that much any more about skilled play or any of that, it's kind of long gone from this server and there's just 1 to 3 effective strats you use in large scale combat (Any Morale bombers?).

When someone throws a blast pot in this game and I drop to 1 fps, then add in 2 Inevitable Dooms and you are at seconds per frame.. I'm on a 980 and my client cannot handle this game. I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure I could run Heaven in the background with 30 chrome tabs open playing YT in 4K and it would make 0 difference in the game's performance. People actually just throw blast pots to lag you out as an effective strategy then burst you while you can't push buttons.

I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I dropped below 30 FPS on live in *most* content, I think I had a Radeon 57xx at the time, I even recorded a lot of stuff with FRAPS at 30-60 FPS. Even when I did drop low, I don't recall it ever affecting my ability to give the client/server input.

If I target a fort lord, I drop to 10-15 FPS. This instantly goes back to 60-80 if I untarget the lord.

And to top it all off, there's some kind of memory leak so your performance stays garbo until you restart the game after a big fight.

24 man aoe
No debuff cap
Other stuff (Netcode maybe?)

Client cries.
"They're gonna die if we kill them" - Klev on strategy

RoR Memes
https://www.youtube.com/@UchooGaming
Check out my Twitter, I talk about RoR & Games
https://twitter.com/UchooGaming
The RoR Guide
https://shorturl.at/ouGH8

Martok

Post#60 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:34 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:13 pmThe situation we have right now where we have a major system change from live (the AoE cap), but not a full balance pass to account and adjust for that change, is fraught with issue, and is the cause of most of this servers balance issues, even ones that don't seem to be related.

Where have I heard this before?
Blame It On My ADD Baby...