Recent Topics

Ads

Healing RR gains

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Healing RR gains

Post#51 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 am

Quite the thread this turned into. I'll sum up why we intentionally opted to reduce the renown gains of healers who are outside of a group.

Kills are where renown comes from. This renown once accumulated needs to enter a pool that is then slowly distributed to the people who participated in a kill. Healers able to dip into this pool while outside of a group had no reason to join a group, as they would simply sprinkle the battlefield with hots, and shirk any real responsibility or dedication to a group.

This is a group based game, whether it's a party of 6 or a warband of 24. Our design decisions at times have very much been aimed towards the goals of getting people to group up, and join active guilds, to the specific and very intentional detriment of solo players. Out-of-group healing was very specifically targeted for these reasons.

As we've already experienced what happens when healers are able to solo heal unimpeded, and the results of our changes are largely favorable towards the goal of a more harmonious and group oriented outcome, there is no real reason to revert back.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
deathy

Post#52 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:33 am

solo people killing shouldn't receive renown from kills unless in a group with people close to them, since you are wanting this to be a party/wb game.

Omegus

Post#53 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:32 am

wargrimnir wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 am Quite the thread this turned into. I'll sum up why we intentionally opted to reduce the renown gains of healers who are outside of a group.

Kills are where renown comes from. This renown once accumulated needs to enter a pool that is then slowly distributed to the people who participated in a kill. Healers able to dip into this pool while outside of a group had no reason to join a group, as they would simply sprinkle the battlefield with hots, and shirk any real responsibility or dedication to a group.

This is a group based game, whether it's a party of 6 or a warband of 24. Our design decisions at times have very much been aimed towards the goals of getting people to group up, and join active guilds, to the specific and very intentional detriment of solo players. Out-of-group healing was very specifically targeted for these reasons.

As we've already experienced what happens when healers are able to solo heal unimpeded, and the results of our changes are largely favorable towards the goal of a more harmonious and group oriented outcome, there is no real reason to revert back.
Does the system take into account how much healing (actual healing, not overheals) was done or does it just set a flag to say "person X provided healing so they get contribution"? If it tracks the amount of actual effective healing then spreading HoTs around wouldn't be that great at earning renown if the RR share awarded was based on effective heals as opposed to providing dedicted single target healing to someone in the middle of a fight. Accurately tracking effective healing done could be far too complicated or expensive in which case I would take the current system over live where useless HoTs and out of group healing could easily farm renown solo for little to no effort or benefit to your side. It's nearly as braindead as farming renown from oil (which IMO shouldn't grant any renown at all).
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Starx

Post#54 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:08 am

I might as well throw my 2 cents in about the subject as this week or so is my first experience healing in this game. While the change does stop people from being scummy oop solo healers, which I dont even think doing that in RvR is that bad... scenarios is another story and thank god you forced healers to party there. What it does have is an unseen consequence that didnt take me long to pick up on.

That is as a healer I want to be in party that is doing the majority of the damage. Which leads us to me as a healer wanting something like 2 bw's and a guarded slayer or just straight up as many AoE bomb RDPS as possible. Tanks are worthless to me if they aren't guarding a slayer, to me the healer renown ***** I want them in my warband sure but just not in my party.

I see a lot of pug warband leaders out there doing this stacking 3 rdps in their party and hoping the average joe in the party with 4 ib's wont care, or the guy with the unguarded white lion that cant do anything or runs in and dies instantly.

I find myself getting 5-10x more renown just finding a random BW or engineer that seems to know what they are doing and saying "hey bud want a pocket healer?" and then im just healing 1 person maybe 2 instead of being part of a warband healing 5 other people which is probably better for the faction.

I've also played in organized warbands with discord and its the same story, if you aren't in the group with the big D dps, then you really aren't getting a ton. Earlier I was in a guild warband in a group that had a sw/wl dps combo and when i got moved to the group that had a slayer and BW it was like night and day on my gains and drops I was getting.

It creates a bit of a scummy atmosphere imo, only really being held together atm because a lot of people don't know about it. Same thing goes for tanks, you dont want to be in the pepega group. And to clarify this isn't about player skill, its about group composition and alienation of classes and being scummy about what classes is in your party.

niikuu

Post#55 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:37 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 am This is a group based game, whether it's a party of 6 or a warband of 24. Our design decisions at times have very much been aimed towards the goals of getting people to group up, and join active guilds, to the specific and very intentional detriment of solo players. Out-of-group healing was very specifically targeted for these reasons.
And that would be great if there weren't so many classes/spec which are outright unwanted in warbands and guilds.