Recent Topics

Ads

Guard Change

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Gangan

Re: Guard Change

Post#31 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:41 am

Hm...clicking stances does nothing?
Pächter des Wahnsinns
Gangan - SH 75 .... Blumnmoscha - BO 63
Scophis - Zealot 73 .... Drengur - WP 64
Iznogoud - Sham 50+ .... Bixo - Engie 50+
Apogemoth - Magus 40+ .... Loarelle - AM 65
originating from Drakenwald

Ads
Acidic

Post#32 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 am

Would be nice if one of those smart addon makers created an addon for this.

If target not guarded by u remove guard if up and apply guard to new target
If target is guarded by u do nothing
If no target remove guard

Lithenir

Post#33 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 am

I really don't understand the need of this topic. Everyone has to deal with lag not only tanks. Healers have to deal with lag too. So should we make all healing abilities make instant now because lag and cast time makes life difficult for them?

If you can't keep track of your guard there are addons helping you, like Enemy putting an arrow above the head of the guarded friend or buffhead showing buffs - like guard - right in your face.

DokB

Post#34 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:43 pm

I think what catches most people is removing Guard doesn’t require a GCD and can be done at any time while applying Guard requires a GCD which can mess up when pressing too many buttons together or doing it too quickly so when you try to apply Guard, you might still be locked out inside the 1.1-1.5 (whatever it is) GCD time.

It can be difficult to swap quickly when under pressure but you eventually get used to swapping fast or doing it earlier when you can anticipate burst damage incoming. Being the best skill in the game, it should have some kind of skill involved along with it to it so it isn’t a completely braindead mechanic.
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard

dansari

Post#35 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am

Personally I quite enjoy double-clicking guard. Or 3 times when your second click doesn't register. Or 4 times when your 2nd click does register but you click a third time thinking it doesn't register but due to lag it actually does register but you didn't see it in time and thought it didn't so now you have to click again to actually apply it.
<Salt Factory>

Manatikik

Post#36 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:50 am

dansari wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am Personally I quite enjoy double-clicking guard. Or 3 times when your second click doesn't register. Or 4 times when your 2nd click does register but you click a third time thinking it doesn't register but due to lag it actually does register but you didn't see it in time and thought it didn't so now you have to click again to actually apply it.
Dan, stop misrepresenting the truth to all these people. You don't play tanks, stop pretending like you do. :D
<Montague><Capulet>

maraudermitu

Post#37 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:03 am

You have to retard yourself and do it slowly to make it work on ROR. This is a big advantage for EU players who with 30 ping immediately know if their guard swap worked or not. ROR should just make it work again even if you double hit it really fast.

DokB

Post#38 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:33 am

dansari wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am Personally I quite enjoy double-clicking guard. Or 3 times when your second click doesn't register. Or 4 times when your 2nd click does register but you click a third time thinking it doesn't register but due to lag it actually does register but you didn't see it in time and thought it didn't so now you have to click again to actually apply it.
>2020
>still clicking
big oof
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard

Ads
dansari

Post#39 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:36 pm

DokB wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:33 am
>2020
>still clicking
big oof
Sorry, you're right, I should have said "willed my keys to be pressed by the power of my mind-brain"
<Salt Factory>

zachary

Post#40 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:01 pm

DokB wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:43 pm I think what catches most people is removing Guard doesn’t require a GCD and can be done at any time while applying Guard requires a GCD which can mess up when pressing too many buttons together or doing it too quickly so when you try to apply Guard, you might still be locked out inside the 1.1-1.5 (whatever it is) GCD time.

It can be difficult to swap quickly when under pressure but you eventually get used to swapping fast or doing it earlier when you can anticipate burst damage incoming. Being the best skill in the game, it should have some kind of skill involved along with it to it so it isn’t a completely braindead mechanic.
I agree this is likely the issue: the required removal, combined with the UI flash, it's difficult to know if the add-guard went off correctly b/c there's always a button-flash for it going off, and then there *might* be a button-flash for it going back on correctly, but done quickly it's difficult to tell, and always has to be checked due to the abovementioned possibility of failure due to a GCD lockout.

Hence the request: It would be clearer to have a single 'apply guard' button (that is, of course, only visible when apply-able, from a GCD-cooldown standpoint) instead of the current single button whose state can't be checked for whether-it-can-fire between unguard-reguard when doing a fast guard change. Removing guard can't fail anyway, so having the second button push camouflage the state of whether guard can be applied is just annoying.

wrt stance comparison: Imagine you couldn't see which abilities in other stances were done with their cooldown (eg. applyable) until you switched to that stance. That's approximately the same situation.

That said, I think of guard more like a War Bellow/Covenant/Prayer than a stance, but others apparently disagree on that.
Xand*r*nius is still trying to Learn To Play