Recent Topics

Ads

Forts? Do we really need them?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Ekundu01

Forts? Do we really need them?

Post#1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm

So the common problem we are running into for Orvr is forts. It has been changed over and over and still has issues. The question is why are they such an issue?

Most common is population either lack of or too much. Both have issues and usually results in a 1 hour snooze fest. Population caps are now back in but will be back to a dead server once fort starts for anyone else that doesn't get in.

During high population times where there are 200+ on each side that is a lot of players left out and splitting of WBs again for those that didn't get in.

During low population times we see people not coming out to the lakes and not wanting to push zones so a defense can be had for easy wins all though with the contribution needing to be had in the zone before this may not be as bad anymore.

Once city siege actually has gear i foresee players throwing forts to get to city.

I know a lot of work has been done to get forts working but they just seem to keep having issues and if i am not mistaken they were scrapped on live due to similar issues with population limits.

Simple solution would be to get rid of forts put invader medals in bags from keeps in orvr once you get to rr58 even if that means increasing the cost of invader a bit to compensate for more drops.

More complicated solution would be to make forts similar to city siege and make it instanced pq for everyone to participate.
Trismack

Ads
Natherul
Former Staff

Re: Forts? Do we really need them?

Post#2 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:07 pm

fortresses are not getting scrapped, we are continously working on them to fix any issues and the pop cap that has been added will increase as we fix some other issues

Dackle

Post#3 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:25 pm

"Paddles... CLEAR!" ::zapp:: Forts will LIVE!

Lithenir

Post#4 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Once city siege actually has gear i foresee players throwing forts to get to city.

I know a lot of work has been done to get forts working but they just seem to keep having issues and if i am not mistaken they were scrapped on live due to similar issues with population limits.
First player attitude is nothing the devs or fortresses can do anything about. I dislike player attitude like "let them push fort. eaz defense". There is nothing fun in fortresses. I hope the pop cap will fix this once they got rid of the issues.

And second. Fortresses were scrapped on live because they were to hard to take and nobody got into the city in the main time.

Ekundu01

Post#5 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Natherul wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:07 pm fortresses are not getting scrapped, we are continously working on them to fix any issues and the pop cap that has been added will increase as we fix some other issues
The major stresser with fort is the fact it is tied to specific gear so when things don't work properly because it constantly has issues it causes an uproar not only here on the forums but in game with the blame game as to who is at fault. Bias gets thrown around from both sides. The population caps just make gearing out for invader a lot longer.

If forts are staying maybe we should look for alternatives that don't exclude anyone that doesn't get in. There has to be a better solution then excluding half the population when a fort take is going on.
Trismack

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#6 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:47 pm The population caps just make gearing out for invader a lot longer.

If forts are staying maybe we should look for alternatives that don't exclude anyone that doesn't get in. There has to be a better solution then excluding half the population when a fort take is going on.
Pop caps will allow in as many people as the zone can reliably handle. They're not designed to limit gear intake. The final product should allow significantly more than half the current populations. I believe we can have around 500 total players before zone performance begins to suffer.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Kwatchi
Suspended

Post#7 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Frankly after fighting through a myriad of bewildering technical issues in last night’s city defence, I’d rather do forts atm. City is still suffering from a lot of bugs that make it a frustrating play experience. It will get better, but it seems ‘under-ripe’. Forts at least are a known and functioning quantity with some number balancing tweeks left to do.

For the record, tech issues I/we had included: hanging loop while getting into scenario requiring a game reboot (eventually got in even with a quitter debuff); having to leave party to use guard; being killed by Choppa Aoe at the spawn pt behind the shield; announced as winning stage 1 and 2 while getting absolutely steamrolled; spawning in opposite faction point for stage 3.
Slayer - 40/7x
Archmage - 40/7x

Ekundu01

Post#8 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:40 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm
Ekundu01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:47 pm The population caps just make gearing out for invader a lot longer.

Pop caps will allow in as many people as the zone can reliably handle. They're not designed to limit gear intake. The final product should allow significantly more than half the current populations. I believe we can have around 500 total players before zone performance begins to suffer.
That is good to know we won't be stuck at the 200ish max cap forever. Will it still be limited to 40/40 when we get the cap increase or will it allow anyone that got contribution in t4 provided you were 16+ to get into fort? I haven't attempted to get into fort since the change on a character that wasn't 40/40 so this might be a dumb question.
Trismack

Ads
Sofong

Post#9 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:50 pm

I rather just play fort City very hard to reach and takes too long phase 1 2 waste lots of time
And casual players cant even go to city once a week

Aurandilaz

Post#10 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:04 pm

could you at least give all classes some AoE spammer so there is actually something else to do during forts than spending 45min cultivating and clicking flags.
just make WE/WH Razor/Slice perform like Lotsa Choppin/Flurry meaning it hits 3 targets maybe in 15ft front of you, and then with tactic equipped more - still not high dmg, still not a meta class, but at least able to spam even one button is better than 0. (have fun targeting/hitting anything in 5ft range during a long funnel FUN fight)
after that, at least every class has some ability they can press in a funnel fights (which is what lord rooms seem to be all about - whole stage 3 since no one seems to bother with jails as of late)