Recent Topics

Ads

Timeline?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
zachary

Timeline?

Post#1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Would it be possible to get a page somewhere on the website (similar to the front page server status) that has a short history of zoneflips/forts and their resolutions on it? I'm imagining something like a logfile:

Code: Select all

2019-09-15 03:05:00 - Order Captures Dragonwake with the help of Seventh Legion! 134 Order / 50 Destro / 15 Anon
2019-09-15 03:07:11 - Destruction Captures Thunder Mountain! 15 Order / 50 Destruction / 2 Anon
So, abstractly:

Code: Select all

<timestamp> - <side> captures <zone> [with the help of <winning side involved guilds>] despite the best efforts of <losing side involved guilds> ]! <zone population - with or without anons, either is useful>
Keeping a log like this in public view would let people see what time(s) of day the server is active, as well as (if history is kept) help track general RvR population. It might even encourage people to log in if they see that, for instance, one side or the other is pushing for fort. (If that's not desired, just delaying the updates by a few hours will make that not useful)

It will also make it easier to answer questions like "who won the last fort" which is important if you want to know who the coming fort is a campaign-ender for.

It would also let there be real data behind "Defending Keep X is impossible" and "Order never lose if they have Keep Y".

Clearly not a high priority, but I also don't think it'd be that high effort, so maybe somedev will be inspired to knock it out :)

Extra credit: figure out how to take a snapshot of the Lord room at the time of his death and paste it into the entry.

--Xand*r*nius
Last edited by zachary on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xand*r*nius is still trying to Learn To Play

Ads
Dabbart

Re: Timeline?

Post#2 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:14 pm

That... Is a great idea.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

zachary

Post#3 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:53 pm

Any dev comments?

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#4 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:20 am

Im 99% sure I answered this previously but I cant find it.

1. We do not want any real time tracking to have people log into the game because they see their side dominating. Our goal is always to make it so that there is as much as an incentive as possible to have equal forces.

2. Really not on the list of things that needs doing currently.

3. As for more integration with the website thats something that is probably harder then what one might think at first glance but not impossible by any means.

zachary

Post#5 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:01 pm

1. Understood. If the output is delayed by, say, 4 hours, then it really can't be acted on to cause an imbalance.

2. Definitely understood.

3. So maybe just throw up a read-only API with a reverse proxy cache in front to keep the world from spamming the main server with API hits? And then tell us where the (cached) API is :) And while you're at it put the existing population stats there. Yeah, yeah, easier said than done, I know :)

zachary

Post#6 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 pm

Relatedly, IWBNI there was a way to see bag winners of the last few forts somewhere. The last one of each fort maybe? Again with an API, perhaps.