Recent Topics

Ads

Account sharing

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Kyouaku

Account sharing

Post#1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:15 pm

I was reading the Peterthepan thread and it sparked an idea in my head: Is account sharing actually a bad thing, objectively?

This is no way an effort to defend him, I know nothing about him and the devs say he was a douche who tried to break rules thats fine enough reason to ban him IMO.

But when it comes to account sharing, who is hurt if trusted guildies or trusted friends who want to try something new decide to swap accounts to get more enjoyment out of the game. Objectively, noone is, and only positive things come out of it if done responsibly. If a person account shares and is robbed, its on them ofcourse, and I think they will have to deal with having all their invader sold for gold and stuff emptied if they share too liberally LOL.

I would like to offer an antidote to support this:

Back towards the end of the original warhammer on Badlands, I had a rr93 DoK that I played sense the 3 day headstart and was one of the strongest players in the game on it(I also ran the best destro SC premades for at various times :D). I wanted to try something different though and ended up making an order warrior priest to go heal on(I DPSed mostly on the DoK). I had a similar name as my DoK on it and I met the top order players in a SC and they recognized me and McKenzie(A rr95 WP) was really chill in vent(This was way before discord LOL) and ended up letting me use her account(She and her friends offered it, it was really kind of them. I think some of them just really wanted a competent healer to roll with though LOL. McKenzie herself want playing much anymore). I had loads of fun healing for the people I spent years killing hahaha, and it was a blast. Some other people also let me use their high level accounts and it was a ton of fun trying new things with competitive characters. With how hard it was to get a competitive toon, I never would of been able to try those things if it wasn't for that, and everyone had fun and benefited :) I healed for them for a few months, McKenzie had pretty much quit =/, and still spent the vast majority of my time on my DoK with my destro buddies. It was just a really nice thing :D

We all have different experiences threw-ought life that leads to our different opinions, and the only time I had participated in account sharing was really incredible for everyone involved.

So, if someone is willing to take responsibility for of being robbed and account shares, why not let people do it with people they trust? If looked at rationally, I cant fathom a downside and only upsides if done responsibly

Ads
Zxul

Re: Account sharing

Post#2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Here is one, mmos are about investing time in your toon, if getting instant top lvl toon is legal, what is the point of spending time lvling/ grinding gear?

Here is another, "mr GM yes he stole my account, its mine I played 10 times on it you can see it in logs".

You see people arguing about whatever someone deserved a ban, here and in other mmos, for lot of ban reasons, but you never see people arguing about ban for sharing/trading accounts. Should be a clue.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

BeautfulToad

Post#3 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:33 pm

As I understand it, you can account share (or devs wont bother you) but if someone goes off and starts calling all the devs names, cheats or starts selling old accounts, all shared accounts can be in line for a ban.

That was the takeaway from the post wargrimir put up. Hopefully it can get sorted but the peterthepan incident shows the risks you would take if you start sharing accounts. Also you can get so many toons on one account, why even bother?

Alfa1986

Post#4 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm

purely theoretically, giving your account to another person can be considered as a kind of exploit. a person without spending time in the game process receives certain game benefits in the form of leveling up or upgraded gears. but on the other hand, maybe you gave an account to the game so that he would just play and decide for himself whether he should create his own character to give a idea on hi-lvl of ​​the game . there is nothing wrong or disturbing in this. so here it seems to me that depends on the situation and even more on interpretation.
15th orks on a dead elf's chest
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Kyouaku

Post#5 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Zxul wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 pm Here is one, mmos are about investing time in your toon, if getting instant top lvl toon is legal, what is the point of spending time lvling/ grinding gear?

Here is another, "mr GM yes he stole my account, its mine I played 10 times on it you can see it in logs".

You see people arguing about whatever someone deserved a ban, here and in other mmos, for lot of ban reasons, but you never see people arguing about ban for sharing/trading accounts. Should be a clue.
I think your thoughts are poorly conceived. MMO's are about having fun. As is all entertainment ultimately. What people enjoy does very from person to person ofcourse, we are all individuals. If someone wants to grind and invest in a toon, this wont stop them LOL. You also assume people will all just be able to get high level account at whim LOL. People tend to be very careful about who they trust with those things. I realistically project that people will only trust the people they know really well, and wont be letting anyone have access to their account hahahaha.

About someone trying to steal an account they have access to, that's a simple one to fix. All they have to do is nothing and let the original person deal with his mistake LOL. If someone lies to a GM, and our GMs seems pretty smart with how they handle things, I think they can look at the history/email ownership, and IP-ban anyone making false claims hahaha. It's an easy problem to deal with if you just think about it.

Your last poorly thought our point, the one which you point out your experience with other MMOs, is not an argument and in noway supports one. I mean, in the US, our last election was TRUMP Vrs Hilary clinton, we live in a god damn anti-intellectual dystopia in which I can count on one hand all the people ive met who can actually critically think and generate their own valid ideas LOL. Just because lots of people "Think"(I think the more appropriate word will be "Repeat") something is in no way evidence of it's validity.

Kyouaku

Post#6 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:50 pm

BeautfulToad wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:33 pm As I understand it, you can account share (or devs wont bother you) but if someone goes off and starts calling all the devs names, cheats or starts selling old accounts, all shared accounts can be in line for a ban.

That was the takeaway from the post wargrimir put up. Hopefully it can get sorted but the peterthepan incident shows the risks you would take if you start sharing accounts. Also you can get so many toons on one account, why even bother?
That stance would make a lot of sense, it would be nice to have it clarified if that is indeed the case :)

I think the point could be in just trying something else between trusted friends. It takes so long to level up in the game and get something to a competitive level, and sometimes we just want some variety hahaha

Zxul

Post#7 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:00 pm

Kyouaku wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pm
Zxul wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 pm Here is one, mmos are about investing time in your toon, if getting instant top lvl toon is legal, what is the point of spending time lvling/ grinding gear?

I think your thoughts are poorly conceived. MMO's are about having fun. As is all entertainment ultimately. What people enjoy does very from person to person ofcourse, we are all individuals. If someone wants to grind and invest in a toon, this wont stop them LOL. You also assume people will all just be able to get high level account at whim LOL. People tend to be very careful about who they trust with those things. I realistically project that people will only trust the people they know really well, and wont be letting anyone have access to their account hahahaha.
"I think your thoughts are poorly conceived. Doing coke is about having fun. As is all entertainment ultimately. What people enjoy does very from person to person ofcourse, we are all individuals. If someone doesn't does coke, this wont stop them LOL. You also assume people will all just be able to buy coke at whim LOL. People tend to be very careful about who they trust with those things. I realistically project that people will only trust the people they know really well, and wont be selling to just anyone hahahaha. Mr cop why are you arresting me?????"
Kyouaku wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pmAbout someone trying to steal an account they have access to, that's a simple one to fix. All they have to do is nothing and let the original person deal with his mistake LOL. If someone lies to a GM, and our GMs seems pretty smart with how they handle things, I think they can look at the history/email ownership, and IP-ban anyone making false claims hahaha. It's an easy problem to deal with if you just think about it.
Or just ban all involved for sharing accounts, and rightfully so.
Kyouaku wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pmYour last poorly thought our point, the one which you point out your experience with other MMOs, is not an argument and in noway supports one. I mean, in the US, our last election was TRUMP Vrs Hilary clinton, we live in a god damn anti-intellectual dystopia in which I can count on one hand all the people ive met who can actually critically think and generate their own valid ideas LOL. Just because lots of people "Think"(I think the more appropriate word will be "Repeat") something is in no way evidence of it's validity.
I really wish bringing RL politics, or similar topics, into forums would mean an auto permaban.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Kyouaku

Post#8 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Alfa1986 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm purely theoretically, giving your account to another person can be considered as a kind of exploit. a person without spending time in the game process receives certain game benefits in the form of leveling up or upgraded gears. but on the other hand, maybe you gave an account to the game so that he would just play and decide for himself whether he should create his own character to give a idea on hi-lvl of ​​the game . there is nothing wrong or disturbing in this. so here it seems to me that depends on the situation and even more on interpretation.
I think "Exploit" is a word we use far too much nowadays.

exploit verb
ex·​ploit | \ ik-ˈsplȯit
, ˈek-ˌsplȯit
\
exploited; exploiting; exploits

Definition of exploit (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb
1 : to make productive use of : 'utilize exploiting your talents exploit your opponent's weakness'
2 : to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage 'exploiting migrant farm workers'

Every time someone makes good use of something it's an exploit hahahah, which I think is inherently natural(The word has a negative connotation to it, which I think is more due to modern day politics then actually warranted).

There is the second definition though, which im sure is the one you are hitting on: "to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage ". Would borrowing a trusted friends account fit under the definition? While the term historically been used to describe things like the US has done to South America, it does technically fall under that umbrella because not everyone will have access to a high level account. I know I wont LOL. Nor would I want one now, I like building up my DoK :) Also, it is worth being noted that simply playing a well geared character in t4 SCs at all falls under that definition as well, as those poor sub 40's are useless hahaha. "Exploit" a general turn that I find is often overused.(Not always ofc) When all things are considered, I dont think there will be any meaningful negative effects on people if it's handled responsibly. It takes a lot of time to gear up new toons, and humans love variety every now and then. People did it all the time on OG warhammer and the game was still lots of fun and showed no ill effects because of it :D

I thin you are absolutely correct when you say each situation is unique and must be judged appropriately

Ads
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#9 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:18 pm

I think it is pretty clear about account sharing :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13607
What you must ABSOLUTELY keep in mind about this project before you start playing.
By creating an account, staff will assume you have already agreed to the following.
1.2 You are responsible of your account.
It is yours and only yours. Don’t share it unless you can accept the consequences of the other person potentially breaking the rules and having action taken against it (letting your kids play for example). If something bad happens in the hands of someone you trusted, it will be your problem, not ours, and sadly, you will be responsible for it.
1.8 No ban evasion.
Evading a ban (which means you have been sanctioned for not respecting the present rules) by playing on another account will result in the evasion account being permanently banned. The same applies for allowing a banned player to use your account. Helping a banned player in any way will result in a sanction.

Kyouaku

Post#10 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Zxul wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:00 pm Stuff
Our society really messes up people, it conditions us to be incredibly prideful while not teaching us how to critically think at all =/. It aggrandizes our IDs to the point where we can no longer tell the difference between reality and what makes us feel good =/ . The ability to reason is just beyond so many of us now =/

Once we loose our ability to reason and conform to reality(People nowadays tend to make reality conform to them in their own minds, and fall apart when their ideas falter. I think this phenomena is an appropriate definition of Lunacy), I think civilization falters.