Recent Topics

Ads

EXP is Atrocious, and for no good reasons.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Vayra

Re: EXP is Atrocious, and for no good reasons.

Post#21 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 pm

saupreusse wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 pm The xp needed to progress to the next lvl havent been changed since 2009? I believe. Not that were not open for discussion. Whats your suggestion exactly @op?
You're right, but the amount of XP given out has changed.
Vayra - Sorc
Forkrul - DoK
Kalyth - BG

Ads
Sulorie

Post#22 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Vayra wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 pm
saupreusse wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 pm The xp needed to progress to the next lvl havent been changed since 2009? I believe. Not that were not open for discussion. Whats your suggestion exactly @op?
Yes, we get much more than before
Dying is no option.

Glorian

Post#23 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:53 am

Sulorie wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:02 pm
Vayra wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 pm
Yes, we get much more than before
Pretty much. Quests give double XP these days.
Way harder in 2009.

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#24 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:21 am

All quests, inclidung PvE, Dungeon, SC and RvR, repeatable or not, are x2 XP since weeks. During x2 events Weekends, they are x4.

szejoza

Post#25 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 am

you guys realise that saying 'quest give double exp now' doesn't matter for a new player who didn't experience previous values?
Spoiler:

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#26 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:13 am

It was just a reminder, to underline that it was much harder before to lvl a character.

In my very honnest opinion, spending a week to be 40/40 in a MMORPG is not the end of the world.

About fun starting at lvl 40 and with all my respect. How many post from players saying they delete and reroll when reaching lvl 16, saying there is no fun after it ? So where is truth through subjectivity? Some will argue fun starts when rr80 full geared. Imo fun starts when you decide.

You will ask for choice to be insta 40. And if we go this way, some other will complain being 40/1 is stupid. Then we will set 40/40. And some will complain that they are naked. Then we will introduce 40/40 + decent free gear, and then, some will complain some players are 40/80 blablabla, and in the end of this escalation, everybody will complain, this game is boring because nothing to do.

Progression is a big part of the project we will have to focus on when possible, but we can't focus on everything in the same time, and i don't think we are slacking.

On a positive touch, repeatable RvR quests are actually in the study to fit more to merged tier system which is not the case actually (a lvl 16 can't take any rvr quest in T3+ which is a problem at some level).

szejoza

Post#27 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 am

The problem with PvE content is that is unrewarding, apart from experience players are rewarded with silly amount of money and sometimes crappy item with generic looks (epic quests are exception).
What's the point of doing quests if by the time player got back to turn in quest he would've killed more mobs/got more exp/gold just by grinding?

Someone might stay for lore but tbh, most quest descriptions are too lengthy to bother reading (especially when you are asked to talk with an NPC that is standing 5m from quest giver) or just lack the fluff.
Spoiler:

Sulorie

Post#28 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:01 am

People, who like some pve and lore, will read it. Simple.
When you have a different taste, grind mobs or do pvp.
Dying is no option.

Ads
Natherul
Former Staff

Post#29 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 am

szejoza wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 am The problem with PvE content is that is unrewarding, apart from experience players are rewarded with silly amount of money and sometimes crappy item with generic looks (epic quests are exception).
What's the point of doing quests if by the time player got back to turn in quest he would've killed more mobs/got more exp/gold just by grinding?

Someone might stay for lore but tbh, most quest descriptions are too lengthy to bother reading (especially when you are asked to talk with an NPC that is standing 5m from quest giver) or just lack the fluff.
This is a common issue with most if not all MMOs where technically grinding is always more time efficient then doing quests. However quests will give you static non luck (since drops would be the other source) gear to help you along the way as well as showing you around the world. And thats not even going into the whole lore spiel (which I personally find very important).

Now theres also the argument that if people were given XP or insta 40 they would also not have the same chance of learning how to play their character. I would be the first to admit that I personally dont like leveling in any game (RoR included) BUT I would never want it to be too speedy or instant.

szejoza

Post#30 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:23 am

If I were to correct you then I'd say most modern mmo's :D

I hate to admit it but quest rewards in tbc wow-wotlk had an impact on your character, every upgrade felt important, apart from regular exp/gold/items you also had reputation gains (maybe it might be included in public quests or even tier rvr influence somehow? just throwing idea) so even if the end result was crappy you were progressing towards the 'end game'. Heck, even if the all rewards were **** you could just vendor stuff to get loads of gold

Another quest example (again from wow, but vanilla) was giving access via quests to items that were super hard to obtain on early levels (rings, necklaces, helmets, trinkets). It could be done similairly here, giving player a chance to get his 1st helmet at ~5lvl if he dig through quests.
While at that, let's jump to end game for a bit. The thing that kept PvP players active in PvE areas in WoW was that very strong items were obtainable through PvE (and not only dungeons). Some non-set items were worth picking over set bonuses anytime. I'm not saying we should have BiS RvR items locked behind PvE areas but having several options to mix items is quite interesting approach (we already have few of that in place)

You see, I'm not saying to increase exp gain but to add something to the existing table. Just a food for thought that would require quite heavy redesign
Spoiler: