Recent Topics

Ads

Permanent Tier 1 Characters: T1Capped

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Luuca

Permanent Tier 1 Characters: T1Capped

Post#1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Permanent Tier 1 Characters

It has been bantered about how many players liked the level cap T1 “Free” trial that WAR had back in the day because Tier 1 is so much fun to play. Many players in RoR have Tier 1 characters for exactly this reason and have expressed an interest in having the development team allow them to “stop xp” or “level cap” options for their toons so that they can “twink” T1 toons and go have fun in the lakes.

At first blush, this seems like a harmless idea, but once you look deeper, you will find several inherent issues with allowing players to twink toons at CR15 RR-Unlimited.

As a fan of Tier 1 ORvR, I would like to make some suggestions that may, if implemented, allow the developers of RoR to implement a form of T1-Only play, without many of the issues that would occur if it were implemented with the current state of the game and Tier 1. While I realize this is so low priority at this point that there is little to no chance of anything coming of this post, I thought it would be a good topic for discussion for those interested.

Why a Capped XP Tier 1 will not work at this time:

The main reason, as I see it, is the ease of creating a Min-Maxed Tier 1 toon of any class due to the fact that almost every player in T1 has a level 40 character or six. +15 level 1 talismans, Blue or Purple gear from the AH for a lot of gold, and level appropriate pots for armor, heals, AP, etc. all contribute to making a very powerful character in T1 and a somewhat uneven playing field for those without the additional resources. I believe the fear of implementing a level-cap as it sits now is that you will have warbands of what I will call UberTwinks roaming the lakes in T1 making it hell for those not able or unwilling to make the resources commitment and/or just trying to level another character to 40.

If we are going to allow for a Tier 1 XP/RR Capped players (T1C), we need to make some changes to avoid the UberTwink issues. If we assume we are working to resolve the issues and make a fair and fun T1C player, here’s what I would suggest.

Making a Choice:

The first thing that would need to happen is that the player would have to decide, at Level 1, on initial load in, if this character is going to be forever and ever capped in Tier 1. No ON-Off switch for XP and Renown. It’s all or nothing. By checking the box on the first load in:

[X] Yes, I want to level cap and RR cap this character into Tier 1 only and understand the limitations associated with this decision.

By answering YES, they have no recourse to change that decision other than deleting the toon and starting over. This is necessary at first load out of T1 so that the changes needed will apply at all times during the characters in-game life. Without this check box, first thing, rules will be skirted.

Twinking – The Resource Issue:

As a T1 player, you have minimal crafting skills, minimal gold resources, bad gear, and getting improvements in those areas takes time and effort. It is easier to have your level 40 toon simply mail your T1 toon gold, some Blue gear/Purple gear from the AH, and some pots. Making the T1 “grind” for items and gear a breeze.

The Solution: T1 Capped players (T1C) cannot send or receive mail, or open trade windows with/from anyone other than the “game” (e.g.: medallions in the mail), the Auction Hall for stuff they buy, or from other T1Capped (T1C) players. Once they agree to be T1C forever, they give up all their other resource centers in-game. They are on their own to find, craft, create, beg, borrow, or steal the gear and items they need.

In this way we ensure that any T1C UberTwinks that exist have truly earned and deserve the level of uberness they have attained. Sure, other players not selecting the T1 Capped option can still twink out a character and spend time in Tier 1, but eventually, they will level out of T1 and have to either level to 40 or start over.

Isolating T1C players from all of the account resources and trades will put a cap on the power-gap that exists between players in T1.

The Level and Renown Cap:

By selecting the T1Capped option, players agree to max Career Rank of 15. No big deal. I would also place a Renown Rank Cap of 20 on all T1C players. The RR cap of 20 will ensure adequate RR points without some T1C player eventually hitting RR80 in T1.
As you can see, selecting T1C status has several drawbacks as opposed to simply rerolling and funding twinks in T1, but there should be some benefits too.

Possible Benefits of T1 Capped Option

Level 15 Armor Sets:

Not unlike the current Level 10 armor sets of Chest and Feet, the Devs could add in level 15 armor sets of Chest and Feet that cost X-times more ORVR and SC tokens than the previous sets.

Level 15 SC Weapons:

These could be implemented using existing level 15 Blue class weapons.

T1C Mount:

I would also suggest a 40-50 Gold 35% speed Mount for Level 15 T1C players only.

In conclusion, a few big changes would need to be made in order to allow T1C to exist, but I believe it would be a lot of fun in the end if these changes were in place.

What are your thoughts?

Ads
NoRKaLKiLLa

Re: Permanent Tier 1 Characters: T1Capped

Post#2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:45 pm

I was a fan of the previous debolster system, in that if you wanted to stay in t1- great. But you're doing so around level 9, so you can't max out your influence weapons and gear with the most points and abilities available to completely crush new players who don't stand a chance.

The only way I'd be in favor of it would be if you were capped to level 9-10.

zgolec

Post#3 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm

I like this idea :)
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Fallenkezef

Post#4 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:34 pm

back to the days of T1 twinks? Hmmm
Alea iacta est

Stinkyweed

Post#5 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:51 pm

End result, you will still have twinks...it will just take more dedication to "earn" twinkdom.
Stinkyweed SH.86
Prowl WE.85
Blob Chop.82
Babaganoush Sham.7x
Negative Creep Z.5x
Motley Crue WH.5x
Scratch WL.3x

Don't fall asleep...don't fall asleep...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7uxesyQWo

Luuca

Post#6 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Spoiler:
Torquemadra wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:47 pm Image

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#7 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 pm

Nope.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

machopi1

Post#8 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:31 pm

1) 'thanks for the suggestion, i see it must have taken some time to write, unfortunately there's no way we can do that'
2) a single stale meme

Choose wisely.

Ads
richard1032

Post#9 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:46 pm

I am amazed anyone has fun in T1. I have been playing a bit there recently. You get 1 SC every 2 hours and then 40 order stand on 1 BO while 40 destro stand at another BO. If I were a new player I wouldn’t get to T2 but I know the game gets better.

Littlebomber
Fandanfinlyman

adamthelc

Post#10 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:32 am

Its a nice attempt, but in reality it would create a larger gap. Making it harder to make a twink just means there are less of them. So the few there are, are even more relatively powerful.

There is no way it could work, because the whole point is that you are focusing on power level when other people are just passing through. A better solution, if you actually want it to be more fair, is if you gave everyone immediate access to the best gear and talismans at that level for no cost. From a regular merchant or something. But then you would still have people who didn't even know enough to go to that merchant. So essentially the people suffering are the ones who are first trying the game. It seems like a terrible idea for anyone who has a vested interest in seeing a game succeed.

A cool idea that I dont think would work because it wouldnt have enough participation. Would be if you could queue for a specific type of scenario at level 10. Only other level 10s could queue for that scenario and the scenario didnt allow you to gain any experience in any while you are in it. So in effect you could twink, but only as long as you are only playing against other twinks.