Recent Topics

Ads

Scenario Manager?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
geezereur

Re: Scenario Manager?

Post#11 » Sat May 14, 2016 12:13 pm

th3gatekeeper wrote:Inb4 all the pros from live come in and talk about how PUG SCs are not how this game should be played and it should be 500 vs 500 and require guilds and large amounts of players in order to do anything.

But, being honest. I feel your pain dude. I actually would be in favor of forcing a 1-1-1 or 2-2-2 group Que. It would encourage people to play together and look for people to play with.

Maybe leave 1-2 maps as "solo Q" maps - ones that require the least coordination (like temple of Isha) for instance or even Ekrund as you can kinda PVE cap that and still walk away with points.

But many maps like Tor Anroc REALLY require all classes... especially healers. Forcing a 1-1-1 Que or 2-2-2 Que ensures players will work together and atleast have balanced rolls.

Or heck, even if you just made a check that forced you to have ATLEAST 1 of each archtype would be a step up.

So a 3-2-1 group would work. or even a 3-1-1. There are options that I would be ok with - if it meant more balanced SCs.

Some really nice ideas here. As a solo guy myself I feel more scs pop the better I rather return to the old ways than have what we have now.

Ads
thefarthestland

Post#12 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:45 pm

First you need to change the priority of scenarios.

1. So, "Kill" can not "drop Medallions", only victory.
Changing the focus of killing for the purpose of the scenario.

Now scenario is no longer a priority to "farm medalion", but need to put a good objective to be played.

in my opinion put drop medallion to buy siege weapons (ram, oil, cannons)

with this scenarios will be played:

1.XP / Renown
2.Medalions to RVR
3.Gear 3 medalion in Win/ 2 in lose

RVR will be the focus to grab gear

Ramasee

Post#13 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:20 pm

I play scenarios often, on several toons. They are one of my favorite activities in RoR. Sometimes I play solo, sometimes I play with a small group of friends. "premades" of 2-4 people.

Sometimes I fight against premades, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get no healers, sometimes I get 6. Sometimes 4 people decide not to take a queue.

Scenarios can only be played with the people who are currently queuing. Sometimes there aren't needed roles online. I find the system matches group compositions by roles more often than it doesn't (+/- 1).

Yes, it gets frustrating when it doesn't. You will get bad strings of matches with no healers, or no tanks; because that is who is playing. When those frustrating times happen, play on a toon in a different teir for about an hour, or switch to the role that is lacking. Or go oRvR, or PvE. etc etc.

tl;dr **** happens, scenarios are fine statistically. Have alts.

Jaycub

Post#14 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:03 pm

Just because something is statistically fine, doesn't mean it is "fine". For instance lets say the average W/L is 50% but over 70% of the scenarios are total blowouts due to one side having healers and the other having none, then things certainly are not fine.

If one of the major problems is people/groups not taking the que and forcing a man disadvantage, then is it possible to use a "ready up" system? So instead of joining the scenario when you hit the popup, you "ready up" and the scenario launches when everyone does, otherwise it returns everyone back to the que automatically with highest priority. Also bringing back punishments for failure to join/ready up or alt f4ing could go a ways to stopping people from abusing the que.

I understand some problems are unfixable due to the relatively low population of the server compared to other games so things like separation of PUGs and Premades, or ELO/MMR systems are a pipe dream at this point. But I feel like scenarios can still be improved upon, hell even having a scenario manager is a step up from live already and I'm glad Az took the time to do it.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Ramasee

Post#15 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 pm

In your above scenario 70% of matches being blowouts because of role imbalance would not be a statistically fine situation now would it?

The system cannot force players to play different roles. Most of the time a particular side has no healers, it is simply because healers are not queuing for scenarios. If you were to do a 100% force of matching roles, scenarios would pop more rarely than they do in middle tiers now during off-hours.

Keep a written log of role distribution, account for dps healers, and pay attention to the names of people you queue with. Or screenshot the scoreboards. Get 100+ scenarios worth of data. If the data supports the idea that there is a major role imbalance issue, I'm sure as the community with the devs we can think of a way to address the issue.