Recent Topics

Ads

[xrealming] A free choice for everyone.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Twyxx

Re: [xrealming] A free choice for everyone.

Post#21 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:56 pm

To me this just seems like a way to foster hate and tension (and a whole lot of angry tells) within the community, but that's none of my business...

Ads
bloodi
Suspended

Post#22 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:57 pm

What about a community police than punishes people without any proof and bans them for x time just based on speculation and false accusations, that would be cool.

Then we can have one for "true pvp" where if you are zerging they show up and kick everyone out of the server till its a true 6vs6 fight.

If we are going stupid, lets go the whole mile.

Luranni wrote:If people want to xrealm that's fine as we can't really stop it anyway, but why should people who are xrealming in detrimental ways be protected over other players?
Thats right, why should we all suffer because of this terrible people, the game was intended to be played only in the way i play it.

Why are those people being protected, is this the world we want our children to live in i ask all of you?

Act today, be a good citizen, protect your country!
Last edited by bloodi on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DefinitelyNotWingz

Post#23 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Sizer wrote:
Luranni wrote:I don't see the harm
Youve never spent time on the internet if you think it is a good idea for players to police themselves. The amount of hate tells this would generate would almost crash the server. Not to mention the fact that it wouldnt do anything helpful. If you somehow do figure out who is xrealming, what do you do about it? Send them hate tells? Refuse to heal them? Kick them from a guild just because some overzealous nut saw this icon and proceeded to spam their name in /3? The gms already work hard to keep chat channels clean of spam so people can talk about the game itself instead of conspiracy theories about xrealming, why make it worse.

Besides, how do you even find the "bad" xreamers? What about people who say, check the ah on both sides then go to play one. Or people who help a friend with a quest on the other faction then switch back. Or people who chase aao, which can switch several times an hour on this server. Would you set up a system to track where people are so ones who are "leeching" get a different icon from ones who arent? Or do you just throw everyone into the same pile just to give you a place to vent your anger at having lost in rvr.

I know its easy to shift the blame on losing fights to these mysterious xrealmers, but come on. Stop trying to make the game toxic just to fuel your conspiracy theories. No point in literally killing the game just to try to solve a problem that doesnt even exist.
This is actually true. Nothing is gained apart from more drama.
You know who I am.

Luranni

Post#24 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:02 pm

DefinitelyNotWingz wrote:This is actually true. Nothing is gained apart from more drama.
Nothing is gained to the xrealmers who do it to leech perhaps (the only reason I can see for being so desperate to prevent being "outed"), but plenty is gained for other players who don't abuse it to the detriment of the RvR experience.

DefinitelyNotWingz

Post#25 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Luranni wrote:
DefinitelyNotWingz wrote:This is actually true. Nothing is gained apart from more drama.
Nothing is gained to the xrealmers who do it to leech perhaps (the only reason I can see for being so desperate to prevent being "outed"), but plenty is gained for other players who don't abuse it to the detriment of the RvR experience.
And people will change if you blame them?
Will you play better because I as an elitist continiously call you a scrub?
You know who I am.

ThePollie
Banned

Post#26 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Fantastic thread, so far. I knew all I had to do was believe.

Twyxx

Post#27 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:10 pm

...but what really is there to gain for people who don't xrealm? The satisfaction of knowing that they don't have to be subjected to being berated and ridiculed by the community like the xrealmers? And, even if xrealmers are truly this toxic to the server, I can't see how it's justifiable to look to the side with regards to (and how we all know will happen, even if we don't say it) how these players will be treated upon being "outed". I think it's better to find a methodology that keeps members of the community excited to come online and play the game, xrealm or not, rather than ostracize part of the server's population.

Genisaurus
Former Staff

Post#28 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Luranni wrote:Why are so many xrealmers so desperate to hide the fact? Methinks the leechers doth protest too much?
This.

This is the exact reason why you can't have this "buff".

"I'm not saying you're a xrealmer, but your opposition to this idea makes you look like one. You're not a filthy crossrealmer are you?"
"I'm sure you're not a leecher, but boy a lot of leechers sure are complaining about this."

One player makes an argument that the server "policing" itself would lead to unfounded accusations and reactionary outlashing by the community against itself, and you respond by making unfounded accusations against that person. Moreover, Sizer is right - no single player is going to have the information necessary to determine if another player is a "good crossrealmer" or a "bad crossrealmer." If I'm playing Order in T3, and we're losing, and I log off, you don't know if I'm going to play an order alt, or if I'm going to play Destro in a different tier, or if I'm just going to queue scenarios instead.

Even if you knew specifically that I logged from a T3 order character into a T3 destro character, maybe I'm using the debolster system to go to a lower tier. Maybe I'm only queuing scenarios. Maybe I'm sitting in the warcamp cultivating. Maybe, as a dev, I'm logging to a private-character on another faction and walking into the RvR lakes so I can collect evidence and report on ToS violations to a GM. You don't know, and you never will. Even if you had the tools to view and judge my actions with the minute detail necessary, why should I trust you to do your due diligence before judging me?

Neither you, nor anybody else affiliated with this server know the extent to which crossrealming is an issue, and anybody who says they do is an idiot. We're internally discussing whether we want to open our API to make more detailed information on player metrics available to the community, but until we do, any assumptions as to the prevalence of, or persons involved in, crossrealming is secret-police conspiracy level bullshit. Even if we did, the best you could do is make a slightly-more-accurate educated guess.

If and when we ever decide to act against crossrealming, it will be through a direct, private, method that is nontrivial to circumvent. We will never give players a tool that allows them to single out another player onto whom they can impose their personal sense of justice.

Let me be clear, in case I'm not: this is a bad idea, and everyone involved in it's creation or support should be ashamed.

EDIT: It's funny that players call us Nazis just for enforcing the ToS, but it's the playerbase which suggests that players should have to wear mandatory badges to which they can attach a moral judgement.
Last edited by Genisaurus on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ads
Nameless

Post#29 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:36 pm

DefinitelyNotWingz wrote:
This is actually true. Nothing is gained apart from more drama.
why ppl think that ingame drama is bad thing. Some of the best moments at WAR (esp at 1st year) were involved with hight amount of drama. All that realm pride, forum fights, first fort, first king, the real struggle between the realms. All that was generating huge amount of drama and was pretty good for the game and for the community
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Morf

Post#30 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Sizer is spot on, why would you want to label every player who plays both sides as some sort bad apple, u really think it would be healthy ?. The players who jump ship to gain easy xp/inf/rr/loot bags on the other side are the type of players who have no impact on pvp anyway.
ppl blowing xrealming way out of proportion, if u lost hey just blame xrealmers right ? :roll:
Morfee - Shaman / Mynnos - Kotbs / Grubod - Black Orc / Snubz - Squig Herder